Ridiculous Work Expectations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I feel bad for Rob. He is the one you have to go home to that night. I hope he was understanding. And yes, I do feel bad for you also. No one should be expected to do duties beyond the job he was hired for. If you title is "baker" then that should be your main job.

Is your store "union"? If so there should be a means of complaining without placing your job in jeopardy. What about sitting down with the manager and get a list of exactly what your job entails. It is time for the manager to step up and speak to those managers under him/her. Surely there is enough work in the bakery to keep you busy without killing yourself. And I hope you got paid overtime for those hours. :angel:

No we don't have a union where I work. As I said, this is a very rare event. My job description is "cake decorator", but as with pretty much every other retail job I've had, by working there you have your title, and "whatever else management asks you to do" or something like that. There are many days where I do multiple jobs by myself, but usually not for more than the first 4 hours, when relief comes in, I can take a lunch break. This was an instance where we were severely short handed.

We are getting ready for a major remodel and with additional work to to they have increased our labor allotment significantly, so we'll be better staffed in the future. The trouble is finding people who need a job... Retail jobs are a dime a dozen here and finding quality employees is very very difficult.

As I said, the managers in charge didn't get away with this when the store manager came in the next day. They often come over inspect the department, double check dates and then just leave us alone, because even though we are few, we are very experienced and pull it off day after day, so they really have nothing to worry about. Unfortunately that shouldn't have happened that day.

Last edited:
I would think that pharmacy manager would want to do better for the pharmacists. The longer work hours without breaks or food could result in some serious medication mistakes! The longer one works without relief the less accurate one becomes. I'd be very cautious about any medication I got from that place. I too use a mom and pop pharmacy. I pass a Walgreens and a CVS on my way to that store but it is well worth it! They worked with my husband on getting his prescriptions aligned so he wouldn't have to go in every week to refill one. They gave my son enough of his meds to make it through to his next doctor visit (one week away) where he could get a new script. They know me when I walk through the door and have my drugs ready at the counter when I get to register. Can't beat that kind of service.

Same here. I've been with my pharmacist for over 10 years and happily pay the tunnel toll to go there rather than chains here in my town. We're Facebook friends, too ;)

As I am with mine. The pharmacy has a page is what I mean.

They remember the names of your family. Ask how they are doing now. When I lived there, I got all my meds from them. I surely do miss them. :angel:

My pharmacist always asked about my favorite football team. He saw the logo on my wallet once and we talk football each and every time I am there.
While waiting I noticed he had a rapport with all his customers. He knew something about each one and talked to them in that regard.
It seems he used a sales approach i used when i was in sales.
"get to know your customer". Working very well for my pharmacist.

BTW. I can walk in off the street with a new written prescription, hand it to them and be on my way in less than 15 minutes. I say 15 minutes as that is the longest I have ever had to wait.

I would think that pharmacy manager would want to do better for the pharmacists. The longer work hours without breaks or food could result in some serious medication mistakes! The longer one works without relief the less accurate one becomes. I'd be very cautious about any medication I got from that place. I too use a mom and pop pharmacy. I pass a Walgreens and a CVS on my way to that store but it is well worth it! They worked with my husband on getting his prescriptions aligned so he wouldn't have to go in every week to refill one. They gave my son enough of his meds to make it through to his next doctor visit (one week away) where he could get a new script. They know me when I walk through the door and have my drugs ready at the counter when I get to register. Can't beat that kind of service.

Agree with you on all points.
Especially the chance of mistakes when an employee is over worked and under paid.
In these days, it could be a pharmacy tech filling your rx. I would hope the person filling my rx was not so tired they could make a mistake.
Even without exhaustion, mistakes can be made.

I use a chain pharmacy owned by the pharmacist. I am reasonably happy with them. I can get my prescriptions filled at the same chain, if I run out when I am out of town. They have given me a refill after a 'script ran out to last until I saw the doctor or the doctor could fax them a renewal.

It certainly helps that they are a large store with lots of stuff that isn't pharmacy, including some groceries. And, they deliver for free.

I like the idea of a family owned, non-chain pharmacy. However, my personal experience with those has been far from stellar.

Any pharmacy can transfer a refill to another pharmacy. Then you transfer it back for the next refill. I did that last summer when we were on a trip to the beach in North Carolina.

The personal service my pharmacists provide is exceptional. If I take a new Rx in, they'll have it ready in 10 minutes. The chains around here take hours. It's ridiculous :rolleyes:

And I'm personal Facebook friends with my primary pharmacist - the owner. I'm not sure if he has a page for the pharmacy. A week or so back, several of us patients of his were jokingly arguing on his page about which was his biggest fan ;)

Unfortunately, I don't have a choice now with a pharmacy. I get all my meds from the one that has the contract with my health provider. It is their delivery that is the problem. My scripts have come well after eight p.m. And as early as seven a.m. And I have twice gotten the wrong medicine. Once it was one for Alzheimer's Disease. It almost killed me before I too a good look at it and realized it was the wrong capsule. Looked like the one I have been on for years, just a tad smaller and a bit lighter in color. The medicine was supposed to be Gabapentin. The second time I received the meds meant for another patient. All of them were wrong. I made note of the tech that had filled them both times. Informed the pharmacy that if I saw their name on any of my meds again I would refuse to accept them. Also the next time I had a mistake in my meds, I would report them to the authorities. I also let know my medical provider know about all of it. I was not a happy camper at all. You can bet I really take a good look at the name, color and who filled it before I take one pill now.

I also went to Web MD and looked up all my meds. Printed out the picture of the pill and all the other information that went along with it. Including the possible adverse events. Put them in alphabetical order and stapled them together.

Oh how I wish I still had the Prescription Shoppe. Not once did I ever have a problem with them.

I have been with the Elder Service Plan for eight years now. The medical care is always been exceptionally good. But cracks are starting to appear. I don't know what I can do at my age if I decide to leave them. As I get older, they are becoming more invasive into my life. I find myself having more and more arguments with them. I have to go in today for my monthly visit. But I have the feeling that it is going to be more than just checking my vitals. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom