RIP, Robin Williams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
creative said:
Again, not my thinking. I was reporting what was disclosed on the news that is all. :rolleyes:

Don't be so touchy honey. I wasn't casting any aspersions on you. Heck, I don't even know what aspersions are. It's just human nature to look for rational causes for events that have no relation to reason.

By the way, I'm at least as crazy as any of you, and I got papers to prove it.

RIP RW

:)
I said "again" because, if you had read a few posts up from your post, you would have seen that I had already just said what I had to repeat again to you. (Nothing to do with aspersions - I'm a tough cookie e.g. used to do stand up comedy ... and so loved Robin for that). :)

Last edited:
The only good thing to come of this, is it has people talking and trying to understand the tragedy of suicide.

When I lost my brother 40 yrs ago the subject was taboo. I remember being asked how he died, and if I didn't want to talk about it, I'd say he had been ill for a long time and change the subject. It wasn't a lie, as he had been very ill with depression for years. For the most part in those days, people were looked upon as either being weak or a lunatic for doing such a thing. Sometimes I wonder if that opinion hasn't really changed all that much. For the family that's left behind, the torture of this kind of death goes on forever, both then and now. It is a horrible complicated grief like no other. Sadly, although RW may be resting in peace, his family is in a living hell.
+1 perhaps the good thing to come from RW's death will be that depression and mental illness will be taken seriously and not viewed as a weakness. It is not a weakness, it is an illness, just like cancer or heart disease or diabetes. The person can't get over it. The best is to get through it and survive, to keep on top of it and not allow oneself to go back to what I call the dark side of the moon.

When you lose a loved one, grief is a natural emotion. When you lose a loved one to suicide, grief is indeed complicated--there is the guilt for not recognizing the person was in unbelievable pain, etc., etc. It was the knowledge that I would hurt my family beyond belief that kept me from acting on suicidal ideations and get help. And, I have a doctor who is trained in helping those with chronic depression. Without her, well, I don't want to think about it.

I've worked with kids for over 30 years. Every so often I've been called in to help with the aftermath of a suicide. It's the most devastating tragedy anyone could ever deal with. Beautiful children, with lives full of promise, gone. Depression is such an evil disease.

I still tear up hearing news about Robin Williams.

BTW, I take offense at your use of the terms "just depression." The depression leads to the inability to function. There is nothing "just" about it. It is overwhelming and it doesn't happen overnight. Writing "just depression" suggests that your opinion is that he should have been able to "get over it." He wasn't able to "get over it." He was struggling to survive. Getting out of bed, taking a shower, getting dressed can be more than a person suffering from severe depression can face on a daily basis.

Severe depression and the person's inability to perform routine daily tasks usually leads to the breakdown of relationships and the ability to stay on top of things financially. The person suffering from depression is in shut-down mode and pushes people away. Depressed people often don't open their mail, pay their bills, take care of their environment, or answer the phone. It is easier torun away and hide from the world because the "world" is too overwhelming and they don't know how to get back on track because they weren't aware they were leaving the track until they are past the point of acute depression. Refrain from judging until you have walked a mile in that person's shoes.

In English english "just" is used synonymously with "only". If we say something is "not just xxx" it implies that xxx is part of the story but there is more is more to it than that.

Last edited:
*sigh* And now it's being reported that his wife let it be known that RW was in the early stages of Parkinson's. :(

If that is the case, I can completely understand the despair that may have gripped him. There are many terrible diseases, but my personal fear is if I became stricken with a condition that has no cure/management, but instead is a slow decent into total disability. Not that I ever want to be seriously sick, but if I have to have something I'd rather battle cancer or a heart condition than something debilitating like Parkinson's, ALS, or scleroderma. Scleroderma seems like a really scary way to go; I knew a work-friend from back home that developed the condition after we had moved. Always active, I felt so very bad for her the rest of her life.

The Pirate is a recovering drug addict. Unless he has something meaningful to do, he can slip very easily into a depression. So I let my housework go just to let him feel that I need him. He comes in and cleans my home from top to bottom. Even if it is only a few dirty dishes in the sink. But it keeps him busy and gives him a feeling of being needed. Occasionally, he will go in the back room and open up the spare bed I keep in there. Then that is the time I keep my eye on him. I know he is getting ready to shut down. I know what triggers to look for. Inactivity is the main one. Having no work for the day due to weather. I try to get him involved in some of the items that are on my bucket list. I know what he likes to do for me and what he considers a PITA. His depression keeps me on my toes. :angel:

*sigh* And now it's being reported that his wife let it be known that RW was in the early stages of Parkinson's. :(

If that is the case, I can completely understand the despair that may have gripped him. There are many terrible diseases, but my personal fear is if I became stricken with a condition that has no cure/management, but instead is a slow decent into total disability. Not that I ever want to be seriously sick, but if I have to have something I'd rather battle cancer or a heart condition than something debilitating like Parkinson's, ALS, or scleroderma. Scleroderma seems like a really scary way to go; I knew a work-friend from back home that developed the condition after we had moved. Always active, I felt so very bad for her the rest of her life.

I hear you there CG. My late husbands dear uncle who just passed from Parkinson's was completely bed ridden and unable to even wipe his own chin. I'm the last person to ever condone suicide but I firmly believe there are things worse than death.

I hear you there CG. My late husbands dear uncle who just passed from Parkinson's was completely bed ridden and unable to even wipe his own chin. I'm the last person to ever condone suicide but I firmly believe there are things worse than death.

The last I heard, Oregon passed a bill for Mercy deaths in cases of debilitating illnesses a few years back. Yea for Oregon. :angel:

I remember when my dad became depressed. We really had no idea what we were dealing with at the time. He had been the provider for our family and a work injury had put him out of work. He suddenly became a person that couldn't function. My mom would leave him a list of errands to run while she was at work, but he couldn't seem to accomplish any of them. My mom was at her wits end.

We were lucky, we got him help, and medication, we eventually got dad back. Thing is after this he was never completely back to "normal", we had to keep a close eye on him. There was a point where he had given up on life, that was truly frightening.

I don't know if US has the news yet but, over here in UK, it has been disclosed by Robin's wife that he had the early stages of Parkinson's disease.

Poor man. A quickfired brain like his would be so crippled by it. :(

In English english "just" is used synonymously with "only". If we say something is "not just xxx" it implies that xxx is part of the story but there is more is more to it than that.
You don't want to get me started on just and only-they are not synonyms from a linguist's perspective because there is no such thing as a synonym. (Not to mention, just and only are one of my pet peeves and I've researched the usage of both extensively). I write and edit for a living and have studied 12 languages. I have an advanced degree in linguistics with a specialization in text analysis. Let's stay on track here and not get distracted by the intricacies of linguistics.

You don't want to get me started on just and only-they are not synonyms from a linguist's perspective because there is no such thing as a synonym. (Not to mention, just and only are one of my pet peeves and I've researched the usage of both extensively). I write and edit for a living and have studied 12 languages. I have an advanced degree in linguistics with a specialization in text analysis. Let's stay on track here and not get distracted by the intricacies of linguistics.
I hope you saw my reply to your original mention of this - page 4, # 37?

Let's get back to giving our respect back to Robin Williams, his family and each other,. I would be embarrassed trying to explain this thread to him.

Present and past students have all said that their favorite piece that Robin ever did was his visit to The Actor's Studio. It was one continuous hour of hilarious laughter. I well remember it. He was at the very pinnacle of his genius that day. :angel:

From "The Huffington Post"

William's wife, Susan Schneider, released a statement earlier in the day on behalf of the family. "This morning, I lost my husband and my best friend, while the world lost one of its most beloved artists and beautiful human beings. I am utterly heartbroken," Schneider said. "On behalf of Robin's family, we are asking for privacy during our time of profound grief. As he is remembered, it is our hope that the focus will not be on Robin's death but on the countless moments of joy and laughter he gave to millions."

I don't know if US has the news yet but, over here in UK, it has been disclosed by Robin's wife that he had the early stages of Parkinson's disease.

Poor man. A quickfired brain like his would be so crippled by it. :(

Yes, Cooking Goddess said that several hours ago.

Thank you, princess. I haven't posted here yet about Robin's untimely death. It hit hard, as it did the entire world. I can't even begin to imagine what his family is going through. Mrs. Williams seems to be the epitome of grace in her pleas to the public and we should all, not just this board, rethink our words before we put them out there. There is a family in unimaginable grief. It's all about the Williams family right now. May he rest in peace, and although the family will never have answers, may they eventually find some semblance of peace in their lives as well. JMO

Last edited:
Social media is a curse. It always amazes me how people can be so cruel...
Anytime people are allowed to say whatever they want behind the veil of anonimity, you can bet money there will always be a few idiots who will abuse it. I've noticed the same sort of behavior when people are inside their cars driving. They often act much more aggressively than if they were standing right next to you. It's almost as if the ability to hide gives them license to be jerks.

On a completely unrelated note, this made me chuckle

“We will not tolerate abuse of this nature on Twitter," Del Harvey, Twitter's vice president of trust and safety, said in a statement.

Could someone please tell me exactly how does one get hired for the position of "vice president of trust and safety?" :LOL:

...On a completely unrelated note, this made me chuckle
“We will not tolerate abuse of this nature on Twitter," Del Harvey, Twitter's vice president of trust and safety, said in a statement.
Could someone please tell me exactly how does one get hired for the position of "vice president of trust and safety?" :LOL:

They had to either give him a raise or a title.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom