Root Canal anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had a root canal quite some time ago & didn't need any novacain only because the root of the tooth was dead already. Mine was also in anticipation of a crown which I eventually got. It really isn't a horrible ordeal & everyone's reaction IS different. The worst part for me during the procedure was the scraping in the tooth & the smell. NOT pleasant! :sick: Afterwards, I took a few ibuprofen & I was fine. You may want to take a couple of ibuprofen before hand as well.

You'll be fine. The anticipation is usually worse than the actual procedure.

Good luck!:)

:) Ive had a few its no biggie the pain really isnt there if you get enough novocain.I just had and idea you could practice holding your mouth open for a few minutes at a time to get your jaw loosened up enough to keep it open and not feel uncomfortable.Really its not that bad its a pain in the *** just to go and have it done and the bill is awful.I think there is a yoga pose its called The Lion where you open your mouth as wide as you can and stick your tongue out as far as you can.
Found it,
Yoga Postures Step-by-Step: Simha-asana - The Lion Pose

amber said:
My tooth will be capped one week after the root canal, so does that mean I will feel extreme sensitivity to cold and heat in terms of food and drink? Does that mean I wont want to chew for a week?? I should have asked more questions at the dentist but didnt think of any until now :LOL:

I've had at least 3, maybe 4 root canals. They will put a temporary cap on your tooth for the time it takes to make the permanent cap. Even without the temporary cap, you will not feel pain or sensitivity to anything, since the nerve that was in that tooth will be gone. No nerve, no pain.

I have a tolerance to novocaine and I'm a big baby, so I always remind my dentist to shoot me up with extra novocaine.

It IS annoying to keep your mouth open so long, and the sound of the drill is something I hate, and the smell of burnt tooth (?) I hate as well. But there was no pain for me, either during or after, except for maybe a sore jaw a little, when the novocaine wears off.

The worry for you, is probably the worst part of this one!

Good luck!

Lee

Katie E said:
Oh, I forgot about that stupid rubber dam. It smells yucky. Well, rubbery. Pew.
Katie,
wearing that rubber dam is like being mugged in a garbage dump:LOL:

kadesma

All I can say is that if my hubby does not stop getting them, he is gonna find himself beggin on the street!!!! Hubby is sensitive when it comes to pain, all his seem to have been relatively minor experiences.

I've had a couple done. Everyone shuddered when I told them. But really, it's no big deal. Just a longer visit to the dentist than usual. Your jaw might ache afterwards from being open for an unusually long time, but you shouldn't have anything to worry about. If you are in any doubt, however, you should go back to the dentist presto pronto.

It's advisable to have a crown put on to protect what's left of the tooth. Without the nerve, they're more prone to shattering. Years ago, I had a nerve removed but the dentist didn't say anything about a crown and I didn't know it was necessary. The tooth did eventually break. It's been reconstructed, but the tooth is now in such a poor state that a crown is impossible and sooner or later the reconstruction will go and the tooth will have to be removed. Leaving me with the option of having paying a vast amount of money to have a falsy screwed in or living with the gap. Going without a crown may seem cheaper in the short-term, but long-term you'll be glad you had it done.

Your tooth won't be sensitive to hot and cold when you have the crown - there's no nerve to feel it.

I have had numerous root canals (had both jaws broken in an accident) and didn't have any problem with the process. In fact, up until a few years ago I was a big proponent of root canals, until I learned the "dirty little secret" of the endodontic business. They don't last a lifetime, but anywhere from 2-25 yrs. The problem with them is that they cause bone infection, not a pretty thing. Whenever one is removed lab work will show bone infection.

I would suggest you check out a "biological dentist". My former dentist wanted to take out my root canals which were loose and give me dental implants, which seem to be the rage now. (It's a great money maker for the dentist). My medical doctor fought me tooth and nail (no pun intended) on this because the implants would be on the meridian for the brain and kidney. He urged me to go to a biological dentist. I did go and am happy I did. A biological dentist takes into account how the dental materials he uses affects the whole body. Mine found out what dental materials I was allergic (via a specifc blood test) to and avoids those materials in any work he does on me.

I don't think dentists realize the health problems they can cause people unknowingly by using mixed metals in the mouth, amalgam (mercury) fillings, etc. All those things can leach out into the system.

In a root canal you have to be careful what the dentist backfills the canal with too.

There are books about about this very topic.

I don't mean to be a downer, just be careful.

If you have a good Dentist you will be absolutely fine. It is part of their work to ensure that you don't have too much discomfort. DH had one done last month with no problems at all. We are very fortunate in having a really good Dentist.

Back
Top Bottom