Sad and Pathetic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We read that on CNN a little bit ago... it is a shame that someone has to lose their life over the maddness for material things.

Isn't this story a sad commentary on the times we live in?

I think that store should have closed for the day, the article didn't say if the store closed, but I bet they didn't.

Editing to add:

I havent set foot inside a WM in years. It makes me sad that someone making $7.00/hr died because someone else's greed.

I had posted a link to this story in the working on Thanksgiving thread....it is insane yet every year a story like this seems to happen... I just don't get it.

This is part of my problem with the whole consumption based culture... especially during the holidays.

I just read about it on another site. Its just terrible how this mob mentality gets people crazy. I used to go out on Black Friday until I saw someone fighting in line at Wal-Mart, and they had police there every BF since. It just really saddens me that it has come to this. :(

This story made me sick. We don't get into those kinds of things, but since we just happened to be on the way home from kitchenelf's, and we had $125 in certificates to spend at Best Buy, we went ahead and went there (waited for them to open at 5:00 since we live 20 miles away and didn't want to have to come back later). We weren't after any big-ticket items (we got a can opener, toaster, and some DVDs), but there were a couple hundred people waiting in line there. They handed out tickets for the most popular items, letting people know that there were only about 16 of each available during this event. That way anyone who didn't get a ticket for the thing they wanted knew that they would have to come back later, thus avoiding a rush for the big-ticket items. They let about a fourth of the people go in, then they let the rest in. There were several police officers there, some outside and some in various locations around the store. The store was well prepared--They had sections blocked in such a way that people were able to get around without creating "pile-ups" and they had a few employees directing the very long check-out line. It couldn't have run smoother. Maybe Wal-Mart should follow their example.

:huh:Barbara

And didn't something like this happen last year or the year before? On Black Friday or the release of the X-Box or something?

It could be a commentary on the times we live .... if you want to include our times going back to at least half way through the last century.

Wife went to a sale, said it was like the old movies with people storming through the doors, ravishing and rifling through the racks and piles, saw people fighting over things (I saw it first ... but I got to it first).

I use to think those old movies with hoards descending on a store at opening time were somewhat fictional .. The guy yelling 'Look Out, Here They Come" , unlocking the door and jumping out of the way was a Hollywood mechanism ... Not anymore.

Apparently this kind of behavior has been going on for a while.

I think this 'world going down the tubes at an accelerating rate' perception is a resultant of the modern media. Not the seemingly sensationalist nature of todays media, but the ready access to information.

Use to be that things would happen in Seattle that would never be reported in Miami, and in Bangor would never be reported in San Diego. Heck, things could have happened two counties over and it would take weeks to hear about it, if ever.

But now something happens somewhere and they post their buddies on line, who posts to a forum or mail list or blog and suddenly the world knows about it.

I'm not trying to diminish this person losing his life, its that getting trampled isn't anything new.

The WalMart in question DID close for the day. And while I'm not saying that WalMart couldn't have done more "crowd control", I don't think this is their fault. It's the fault of all the moronic neanderthals who forget they're human beings in their mad holiday quest for the stupid "perfect" gift.

Oh no!! How sad for this man and his family. That is why I will NEVER go to black friday. I saw how people act in the parking lot, I'm NOT about to go IN!
Bless him and his family. This is a horrible thing to read about!!!

There are two days of the year when I do NOT leave the property - the day after Thanksgiving & the day after Xmas. There is absolutely NO bargain, NO gift, NO enticement period that could get me to join the crowds of jackasses who consider these days a subhuman sports event.

this whole thing about shopping bothers me when the economy is supposedly in bad shape. When people are being laid off, how can t hey afford to spend for shopping? My neighbors are all laid off and today they are decorating more than they have in the past. I truly don't understand how people continue to shop with everyone needing canned goods and shelters having more people showing up than before. In my opinion, I am not spending anything this Christmas except for food.

Am I the only odd one who thinks this way? I t ruly don't understand.

this whole thing about shopping bothers me when the economy is supposedly in bad shape. When people are being laid off, how can t hey afford to spend for shopping? My neighbors are all laid off and today they are decorating more than they have in the past. I truly don't understand how people continue to shop with everyone needing canned goods and shelters having more people showing up than before. In my opinion, I am not spending anything this Christmas except for food.

Am I the only odd one who thinks this way? I t ruly don't understand.

People just charge it, and as long as their credit card works, they'll keep shopping. I was at the mall 2 weeks ago and I was really suprised at how packed it was - you'd never know the economy was in the dumper. I think people are just charging things and carrying on as usual - which is totally irrational.

thanks Toots, at least someone else thinks the way I do. I could not believe that the one register in the store showed over $400. I don't think I would come home if I spent that much. I am so relieved that you understand the way I think. I was always taught that not to buy more than I could pay for. Today as you said with the plastic, people don't know what they are spending.

I can't even imagine how people like that are going to explain themselves, and their actions when they meet their maker!! :mad::(:(

It is horrendous - I have heard of any deaths over here but there have been some pretty horrible stories of crowd behaviour at popoular stores when they open for the first time with the first day bargains.
A few years ago Ikea opened a store in north London. The traffic getting there was so horrendous and people were so desperate to get in that they were abandoning their cars on the nearby motorway and running in. The police were called for crowd control. When Primark opened a new store in London, The crowds broke a door down and there were fights through the store.

as a friend of mine pointed out:

Pangloss said:
This was a Wal-Mart, so I would be willing to wager that a significant number of those people in line have been struggling to make their house payments, or were standing in line the previous day to pick up food stamps, which are being issued at an all-time record rate.

But by god they'll find $700 to squeeze into their credit cards for a television. That digital transition is only 80 days away, you know! What would we do without "The Office" or "Desperate Housewives"?!?!?!?!?!

I think the OPs use of the word "Pathetic" sums it up quite nicely.

I tell people I am not a real woman, as I detest shopping and very rarely eat chocolate. So when it is time to go Christmas shopping it is a torturous experience for me. Especially since it is required.

I tell people I am not a real woman, as I detest shopping and very rarely eat chocolate. So when it is time to go Christmas shopping it is a torturous experience for me. Especially since it is required.

Amen!! I am the same way! Thankfully, I only get a few things now that the boys are grown. Most of the stuff that I get now, is ONLINE!! :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom