Sad...RIP Steve Irwin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yup, sad for the wife and kids. can't say i feel too bad tho. when you take on a wife, and have a family, you need to give up your adolescent "superman" ways and think of them first. not your dumb a$$ adrenaline rush.

but if anyone was ever asking for it...

stupid is as stupid does.

Last edited:
We are all shocked, he always seemed larger than life, its hard to believe he is dead. I feel so sorry for his family, his kids are only young. My 6 year old cried when she heard she loves watching the Wiggles and Crocodile Hunter DVD she has.

He lived his life to the fullest. How many of us can say that? Yes. very sad.

I was just about to make apost about this... I feel so bad about this. I loved Steve.. but ya poking a lot of dangerous animals with sticks cant be good for you..

Feel really bad for Terry and his kids!

It is sad. My neices will be devastated.

On the one hand I agree with you, Buckytom, but you know, perhaps he with his knowledge and experience was less in danger doing that, than say the dad who gets in the car and doesn't put his seat belt on? Who knows. Its a tough one to draw the line at, in my opinion. Our health service in the UK keeps discussing stopping/reducing treatment for the obese and smokers...but you know, what about those of us who horseride, or do an extreme sport, or who sunbathe, light BBQ grills regularly?

At this point anyway, all I can feel is sadness for a man who inspired young people to look at the world around them with wide eyes and perhaps suggested that "real worlds" are not in concrete blocks and cotton wool.

I am ashamed to admit I never had the pleasure of knowing him until I came across this thread. I looked at the link and I see he was a very special bloke. I echo the words of Wasabi. Yet he will be sorely missed by so many, and his legend will live on. I will start looking for his materials and belatedly, would like to get to know him better. RIP Steve.

Very sad. And let's not just remember him for the crazy stunts and the risks he took with animals. His life was dedicated to educating people, and preserving endangered specias, and he's done more for that education than just about anyone I know.

As far as his interactions with animals; he had that special energy that communicated itself to the animals; it was truly amazing to watch. What happened with the sting ray was that the barb was injected almost directly into his heart, from what I've read. If he had gotten stung anywhere else, I'd bet he would have survived.

Let's please not judge this incredible human being. He lived his life doing what he loved and teaching the world that even animals we consider dangerous serve a purpose and deserve to live.

It's always a sad day when a Dad leaves his family so suddenly... expecially with the kids being so young... He LOVED what he did... how many of us can say that?

Its very sad, feels like a great loss of life. To say the least, he died doing what he loved best, being around wildlife. I was very sad to hear he died, he taught us so much about animals, he was so passionate about it. Very sad. My thoughts go out to his wife and children. Docs say he would have been unconscious so he wouldnt have felt the pain.

What horrible news. I can not say I was surprised to read this, but it does not change the fact that it is just awful.

My jaw dropped this morning also when I turned on the news, and my daughter was a little upset too, but it also teaches the true lesson nature will always be nature. He has taught millions about animals they would most likely never see in their's or their children's lifetime. Nature doesn't teach a crocodile that the nice human jumping on his back and wrestling him down is only here to help. What a vibrant man, fulfilling and living a life-long dream though. I feel his wife will carry on, and teach his children to carry on his work. I see both sides when some say it was only a matter of time before this happened, we can all hope man and beast can cohabit this land peacefully, and hopefully his work over his life made a difference, and set a standard for those following in his footsteps. Prayers and blessing to his family and his extended family all over the world. :angel:

I don't know how many times I've seen Steve Irwin in situations where he's saying something like, "this has the potential to go very, very badly". I guess it finally did.

Very sad for his family and all whose lives he touched.

I'll have to reiterate some of what GB said - it wasn't a matter of "if" or even "where" - just when and how BUT that doesn't change the fact it is a tremendous loss to his family and friends and a very unfortunate accident. How terribly sad.

He died doing what he loved...that's good.
So sad for his wife and kids though.

I sincerely wish somehow he came back. With everyone that dies, i always wish they could somehow come back just for a little while, just to see how much they were actually appreciated, and how many people missed them. His death is all over the news.

:( It is truly sad from the standpoint of the loss to his friends and family as well as the tremendous loss of a great advocate for the natural world. Prayers for his wife and two small children.

Back
Top Bottom