Salt or pepper?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I need both. I frequently put so much pepper on some things I'm asked if I'd like to have some _______ with my pepper. LOL. But salt is equally important. Can you imagine homemade chicken soup without it?

I love salt, so much that when I saw Dave's Gourmet Salts at Amazon.com, I *had* to order some :grin: I love to sprinkle crunchy, aka coarse sea, salt on just about everything. Oh, I have a nice pepper mill, and I use it, but I *love* salt. Good thing I have low blood pressure.

I need both. I frequently put so much pepper on some things I'm asked if I'd like to have some _______ with my pepper. LOL. But salt is equally important. Can you imagine homemade chicken soup without it?

I with you on the pepper Alix!!! Just can't get enough fresh cracked pepper on my food. When I go out to eat and that waiter comes over and asks if I would like some fresh cracked pepper on my food, I tell him "SURE!" "But ya gonna be standing here for a while crankin that thing!!!" :LOL:

Salt is good, PEPPER is better!!!

I am a salt freak!!!! I could care less about chocolate it's the salty things that I love. But I think I am as much in love with pepper as a am salt. Any time I finish eating I must run to the mirror and check my teeth, I'm boung to have at least 5 pepper flakes in my teeth!

I am a sea or kosher salt and fresh ground pepper guy. Almost all my cooking contains such seasoning. Even such things as biscuits and pancakes get several grinds of pepper in the batter or dough (salt is a natural part of such recipes) and Fresh pepper is beautiful on strawberries...especially dark chocolate dipped ones.

Salt is a necessity to make food taste good. Pepper isn't. Try cooking two pieces of chicken, one seasoned with just pepper, and one seasoned with just salt. The one seasoned with just salt will taste significantly better.

Salt is a necessity to make food taste good. Pepper isn't. Try cooking two pieces of chicken, one seasoned with just pepper, and one seasoned with just salt. The one seasoned with just salt will taste significantly better.
I guess that depends on how much you like pepper! I agree that salt brings out the flavor of food, but I also think pepper makes certain foods taste better. I like both salt and pepper.

I with you on the pepper Alix!!! Just can't get enough fresh cracked pepper on my food. When I go out to eat and that waiter comes over and asks if I would like some fresh cracked pepper on my food, I tell him "SURE!" "But ya gonna be standing here for a while crankin that thing!!!"...
My husband is that way when they grind parmesan cheese for you! I don't think any of the restaurants around here grind pepper for you. I haven't seen that since I lived in California.

I actually stopped salting most of my food years ago, and I learned how salty some things already are. For instance, I used to add salt to my salads, but bleu cheese dressing is already salty. I do still salt some things though. I have to salt corn on the cob, roasts or steaks that haven't been marinated, etc. Sometimes I add it to beef stew. I also love foods with soy sauce, which has a lot of sodium. I put pepper on almost everything.

My problem is I'm not supposed to use salt because of high blood pressure, and I'm not supposed to use black pepper because of kidney stones. I don't normally have any problems from just lightly salting some of my food occasionally, but sometimes (like last week) I go on a big tortilla chips and salsa binge, and my ankles swell. I use white pepper sometimes, but I do still use black pepper sometimes. If I gave up everything that I am not supposed to eat because of kidney stones, blood pressure, and diabetes, I would pretty much be left with nothing but water. So I try to eat salt, pepper, and everything else in moderation. I don't always try hard enough, but I do try!

:)Barbara

pepper, pepper, waving her hands in the air.

Course I add salt to most foods too, but I always smile while I'm grinding my fresh pepper and add an extra dash of it.:)

I keep hearing this - now I gotta try it. It was the chocolate that did it!

There is a chocolate bar by Hachez that is dark chocolate, starwberry and black pepper... simply delicious! Their mango and chili one is awesome too!

Hey Barbara L... I think just about every restuarant around here offers fresh ground pepper with the exception of the Mexican food. Heck, if I can talk the waiter into it, I usually get them to leave the pepper grinder at the table! :pig:

Last edited:
I do not like salt, at all... The only thing I put salt on is fresh avacado. Someone showed me that and I was hooked, only a few grains on each slice though. I can't eat anything salty like chips or fries. It just tastes incredibly overpowering to me. I just think the salty tastebuds on my tongue are hypersensitive. Never used to like pepper until a few years ago. Now I like it. I pretty much put in on and in everything.

Am supposed to go slow on the salt - very hypertensive.

But i was never a salt person.

But pepper, I love the stuff. To me it gives the food a different dimension. Particularly on salads.

Just my taste.

McCormick and Schmidt was good. Asked for ground pepper on my salad and didn't go for the salt at all.
It was perfect so I am confusing even myself with this quandary.
I love salt, so much that when I saw
Dave's Gourmet Salts at Amazon.com, I *had* to order some :grin: I love to sprinkle crunchy, aka coarse sea, salt on just about everything. Oh, I have a nice pepper mill, and I use it, but I *love* salt. Good thing I have low blood pressure.

I thought of this thread because the other day I cleaned out my kitchen store.
I am afraid of the amounts of things I have in there. 19 jars of mayo, guess I like the stuff. 13 peanut butters, 7 mustards.
So much chocolate Jacque Torres could start his own business in my house and wish he would. But the amounts and kinds of salt I have really concerned me.
I have 11 kinds of salt. Every kind you can think of, but now, I'll be ordering Red Hawaiian salt or just borrow it from Sam Choys.:huh:
Having said that, I collect pepper mills and have 10, all filled. Can you say she has a problem with hoarding?

Back
Top Bottom