Santa Lucia!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CakePoet

Head Chef
Lets pretend, you are in Sweden and in my household, religion matters not, just pretend.

You are snug in your bed, all cosy waking up from dream land, when you hear singing in the hallway.

It sounds Christmasy and the singers is singing about Lucia with candles in her hair. Suddenly the door open and in comes a little girl with a candle lit wreath in her hair, white dress, red sash and behind her a chubby woman with tinsel in her hair, white dress, tinsel sash and hold a candle and behind her a man wearing a cone and holding star and the same white dress.

They stand next to your bed singing lovely Christmas tunes, serves you coffee, pepparkaka and lussekatter and then lead you to the kitchen for breakfast.

Welcome, you have just survived Lucia morning in my house.
Have a lovely day.

img_1491563_0_10f87e19735fd8c730f633d09c9a2851.jpg

Rice porridge, more coffee , more buns and cookies for breakfast.

img_1491563_1_b182b58e8cf1c1dd8bf2e44a8dd5f0c4.jpg

Lussekatter, Lucia's Cats, a sweet saffron roll with two raisins.

img_1491563_2_ce68f86b49bb3cd1b2e3cd9402d4f9f5.jpg

Pepparkaka, thin brittle gingerbreads, like Anna's.

I was in the car this morning at 5:30 a.m. to go to Sankta Lucia hosted by our local American Swedish Institute affiliate. The menu was Santa Lucia buns, coffee, flatbread, various fresh fruit, Swedish meatballs, scrambled eggs, ham, potato sausage, pickled herring, various breads, cheeses, and rice pudding. And, the program was very nice, too. About 150 people turned out--the event started at 6:00 a.m. It might have been easier to fly to Sweden and celebrate with your family, CP!

I was in the car this morning at 5:30 a.m. to go to Sankta Lucia hosted by our local American Swedish Institute affiliate. The menu was Santa Lucia buns, coffee, flatbread, various fresh fruit, Swedish meatballs, scrambled eggs, ham, potato sausage, pickled herring, various breads, cheeses, and rice pudding. And, the program was very nice, too. About 150 people turned out--the event started at 6:00 a.m. It might have been easier to fly to Sweden and celebrate with your family, CP!

Sounds like Sweden has some very lovely early morning traditions. What a lovely way to wake up to.

Heh. If someone woke me up that early, I'd probably throw the coffee in their face and kick the tray of food at them, causing bodily injury.

Otherwise, it sounds like a lovely tradition, CP! Lovely food pics!

Last edited:
Charlie, the violinist plays the song and a soloist sings it during the procession (while Sankta Lucia and the attendents walk up and down the aisles in the dark). I was surprised that the crown of candles weren't LED or battery-operated. I worried the gal's hair would catch on fire! This was a public Sankta Lucia celebration, not one at home like CP's.

Back
Top Bottom