Saturday JEOPARDY

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
TODAY IS TAX DAY

This is one of the busiest days of the year for the United States Postal Service. Back in the 5th century B.C., the Greek chronicler Herodotus wrote an account of the Persian invasion of the Greek Empire in which he describes the Persians’ extremely efficient postal network with the following statement: “Neither rain, nor snow, nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds.” In 1914 it was inscribed on the New York City Post Office Building, and it has been the unofficial motto of the U.S. Post Office ever since.

JEOPARDY- body shots
1. ($200)- go against your best interests and shoot yourself here...
2. ($600)- a quick and reckless reaction has you shooting from this body part...
3. ($1000)- according to a 1775 bunker hill order, you were allowed to shoot when you saw these body parts...
DOUBLE JEOPARDY- opera
4. ($400)- the source play for the marriage of this servant of count almaviva was once banned in france lest it incite the lower classes to revolt...
5. ($1200)- much of this puccini opera takes place in a cafe in paris's latin quarter...
6. ($2000)- this humperdinck opera developed from verses written by his sister, which were based on a grimm fairy tale...
FINAL JEOPARDY- the continental congress met here.......
in 1783, the congress met in this new jersey college town's nassau hall...
1. what is the foot ?
2. what is the hip ?
3. what is the whites of their eyes ?
4. what is "figaro" ?
5. what is "la boheme" ?
6. what is "hansel and gretel" ?
7. what is princeton ?

oof, smokin' today. first three were easy, but a nice change of category nearly threw me off.

i'd only missed #6.

and thanks for the info on the post office. and this is the most impressive one i've ever seen (the farley post office in midtown):

drossRNC_fisheye07.jpg

you can't really see it in the picture, but the quote from herodotus is inscribed above the columns.

Last edited:
I got 'em all again today! WHOOHOO!!! Must be the new coffee. I wouldn't have got Princeton, except I was just there in October so it was still fresh. Thanks lt!

Back
Top Bottom