School Market Day Ideas Help please?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here you go Snip.

I had to redo the recipe to make it work. The recipe in the link I put up didn't work out. It crumbled, didn't want to come out of the mold. Put me back to square 1. Watch me pull a bird outta my hat. Rethought the recipe. Knowing that my Cockatiel loves honey I redid the recipe. Worked out great. I'm his Budgie. :ROFLMAO:

Here's the recipe

Honey Treats
4 C Bird seed
1 C Honey
1/4 C flour
1 package of Knox Gelatin
1/2 C water

Mix the Gelatin & water together. Simmer on low until dissolved.
Mix the bird seed & flour together. Add the water, gelatin. Mix well.
Add the Honey last. You might need a little less. If you can form a semi hard sticky ball with the seeds it's ready to go.

Preheat your oven to 350. I know you don't like yours that much. All your going to have to watch for is how they look while baking.

Pick your molds.. I used silicon hearts, filled and then frozen. Removed from those molds before baking. I put them on a cookie sheet to bake. The nonstick small bundt (sp) pan & doughnut pan. Lightly oil them with vegetable oil. Cooked them in the pans. They were then inverted onto wax paper. Let them release as they cooled.

Pat the seeds into the molds tightly. Butter knife works great for smoothing them out. Poke a hole in the center if need be. Can be done immediately after they are removed from the oven. Bake in the oven for 10 min or so. Depending on the mold. The Bundt took 16 min.

These after they cooled were very hard. Just like the treats you would buy at the store.

I wrapped a few up in a sammich bag. Shrinked wrapped a few. Tied raffia strings so that they will be ready to hang in a tree or bird cage. Left the rest as they are to show you how they will look when done.

img_1198887_0_fef314a2e2e48b7521b90557a5096667.jpg

Munky.

I was reminded of this thread when I was just now making some Popcorn to munch while watching an old movie this rainy day. Then I thought, Caramel Corn. For your daughter. I see TaxLady was thinking similar lines. Popcorn is inexpensive and home made caramel shouldn't be too expensive either, to toss with the popcorn. Plus, any unsold, keeps and it can be an after school snack so there is no waste.

S.O.S. Snip!!

Hey, hey Snip :)

Your not going to believe this one. It actually did happen. The rest of you will probably get a laugh out of it. Another Luuuucy moment for the books for me! Your Lil' Sweet cakes might want NOT to try the bird feeder idea.

I put one in my birds cage. One of the small treats. Didn't dare put the doughnuts in. If they bumped him in the head it probably would have killed him. Well, we can't have that.. Anyways he took a taste. Never tried it again.
I though he was just getting used to a different shaped treat.

Yesterday Hubby took one to work. Hung it out the window. Birds are always flying around. As the afternoon sun hit it, the honey started to melt. It slipped off the hanger to the ground. One bird stopped to check it out. Sniffed it carefully, jumped all around it. Took one bite. Looked at it again, that lil' sucker hopped backwards as far away from it as it could get. Didn't dare turn its back to it. My Husband was watching the whole thing.

It flew off and told all the other birdies about it. None of them came back! :ROFLMAO:

Could you imagine if it had eaten any more it could have been it's last bite! Poor things beak would get stuck together like glue. LOL!!!

We can't have her making them, then having a classmate come back and tell her, "YOU! killed my Parakeet!!!!" That would be traumatizing.

My husband got a good laugh out of it. We were making jokes about it all night. Too funny.:ROFLMAO:
Yeah they met the trash can today.

Just letting you know be afraid. Be VERY afraid! :ohmy:

Munky.

It flew off and told all the other birdies about it. None of them came back! :ROFLMAO:

Could you imagine if it had eaten any more it could have been it's last bite! Poor things beak would get stuck together like glue. LOL!!!

We can't have her making them, then having a classmate come back and tell her, "YOU! killed my Parakeet!!!!" That would be traumatizing.

My husband got a good laugh out of it. We were making jokes about it all night. Too funny.:ROFLMAO:
Yeah they met the trash can today.

Just letting you know be afraid. Be VERY afraid! :ohmy:

Munky.[/QUOTE]

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Great story munky! Nice to start my day with a laugh!
You're not going to believe this?! My daughter read the recipe and said she wants to make them with nuts and seeds that humans can eat and caramel (like in peanut brittle)
She didn't want the honey, she was scared it would melt since SA is so hot!!! Guess she was right :ohmy:
My 10 yr old outsmarted both of us :LOL: I thought it would work too!!!
She's still making them but for people, birdies are all safe ;)

Last edited:
Sounds like learning projects can be fun at school too.

If she has occasion to do this again, Click Google Images. Look at Dipped pretzels or dipped pretzel rods for some cute ideas with recipes behind the pictures.

Sounds like learning projects can be fun at school too.

If she has occasion to do this again, Click Google Images. Look at Dipped pretzels or dipped pretzel rods for some cute ideas with recipes behind the pictures.

Thanks :) I'll keep that in mind next time. She has to do it every year.

Back
Top Bottom