Shaving Advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Z

Head Chef
[FONT=Comic Sans MS, Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Or maybe it should be "shavER" advice.

Does anyone here shave with an electric shaver? Any recommendations?

I've been using the Mach3 with the disposable cartridge thingys, but I'm sick of paying over $16 for 8 replacement cartridges that I can only really use a few times. I'm thinking that if I shell out a bit for a good quality shaver, it will pay for itself in no time.

I used to have one of those 3-head shavers but hated the way it made my face feel. I've never tried those foil ones, though, and I think they'd be better for me. I don't have a particularly 'tough' beard... it's just a bit stiffer in the mustache and chin/neck areas.

Does anyone have any experience with/recommendations of foil-style shavers?

Thanks
[/FONT]

I have never found an electric to be anywhere near as close as a blade. Before you give up on your blades, try this stuff. It has changed shaving for me forever. This stuff is amazing. You use three drops (that is it I swear) and massage it in. The razor just glides right over your skin and you can actually see what you are doing. You can also use it with an electric too I believe. When I first ordered it you could get a free sample to try. You just paid $2 shipping, but they put that $2 towards your order if you decide to buy.

Not quite. It is an oil with menthol. You rub it in and then splash on some water. It is perfect for shaving in the shower. I put it on then stick my face into the stream. The stuff almost makes it fun to shave. Plus that little bottle will last a very long time (I am guessing about a year) and it is perfect for traveling.

I know DH finally broke down and bought an electric shaver about a year ago and really liked it. Well last week when we went to do our shopping he stopped at the razor isle. I questioned why he was using razors now and he said that the blads for the electric shaver were expensive and he didn't feel like forking out that money.
So if you do decide to buy one I suggest you see what the blades will run you to replace. (not sure how often they have to be replaced either)

That bottle has 1.25 oz and they recommend that you buy 2 bottles, fog mirror & cup.
I just shelled out $40 for three (4 count) packages of cartridges. They have 5 blades & an edger. How many shaves do you get out of one? I sent them to a military guy who is deployed (my son).
I have experience using an electric lady's shaver. It gnaws the hair off. I gave my son's the test and it works the same.
My other son says that you have to condition your face to it. That probably takes a long time.
I imagine there are coupons for these shaver cartridges and a buck off would help pay the postage.
Sorry people, but we don't make enough money to shave anymore! :mad:

GB said:
I have never found an electric to be anywhere near as close as a blade. Before you give up on your blades, try this stuff. It has changed shaving for me forever. This stuff is amazing. You use three drops (that is it I swear) and massage it in. The razor just glides right over your skin and you can actually see what you are doing. You can also use it with an electric too I believe. When I first ordered it you could get a free sample to try. You just paid $2 shipping, but they put that $2 towards your order if you decide to buy.

Does this make the razors last longer? I shave my head with a Mach 3 razer, and my beard is like PURE CONCRETE growing in small little hairs.. So, I usually only get 1-2 shaves out of each razor.. Which makes it far more expensive than getting a hair cut..

-Brad

I am not really sure if it makes the blades last linger. I seem to use blades for a very long time before replacing them, but I did that when I used shaving gel as well.

My guess though it that it probably does extend the life of the blade because there is no gunk to get caught in the blade. If you are only getting 1-2 shaves out of a blade though then I do not think it would be a big enough difference that you would notice it, but that is just a guess.

Thanks again, GB... I posed the same query on another forum as well and it seems that this is the most appealing solution (heh... pun intended). Everyone seems to agree that electric shavers still do not shave as close as a blade. I thought technology may have improved in the many years since I have tried the electrics... and perhaps it has, but not enough, it seems.

I guess that, if I want to have a close shave, I'm just going to have to accept the ongoing cost... especially since I can't see myself sporting a 'goatee'. Nah. Ain't happening.

"...fun to shave" you say??? Hmmmm. I'll try the stuff you've recommended. Ordering today.

Let me know how you like it. And seriously, it only takes three drops. I did not believe that at first and used 5, but 3 really does do the job.

Yeah, abut 6 years ago I had a question about shaving and found a solution for me, my hair do not grow anymore. How, you may ask, well, I stopped shaving and stopped trimming hair completely, after my bird reached certain stage it just stopped growing. :)

Hey Z, why don't you just grow a beard? I keep nagging Ken to let his grow back, but he won't. (Spoilsport!)

Seriously, some women really go for that fuzzy look.

Hi Z,
I've been using an electric shaver for about15 years now.
Technology has improved but no, it doesn't shave as close as a blade.
That being said, I've only purchased two different brands, Braun and Remington. For me, the Braun shaved better.
Good luck.

Alix said:
Hey Z, why don't you just grow a beard? I keep nagging Ken to let his grow back, but he won't. (Spoilsport!)

Seriously, some women really go for that fuzzy look.
Two things.

1. In spite of my age, I would not be able to grow a decent beard. The best I believe I could hope for would be a rather scruffy-looking goatee... and I've known very, very few people who can make that work.

2. I'm not trying to impress any woman other than the one I am with... and she does not go for that fuzzy look.

Thanks for your suggestion, though.

Hey Gb

I tried the stuff you recommended... a couple of times now (both times with a blade that was not quite new). I love it! Really interesting sensation. I'm used to using gel/lather. This is quite different. I love the cooling sensation you get when you shave with it. It IS 'almost fun' to shave.

I think it does/will make the blade last longer. It might wear out at the same rate, but I think you can use it comfortably a little longer.

Thank you!

I am so glad it worked out for you. I was actually just thinking about you this morning as I was shaving. I was a couple of hours away from asking you how it went :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom