Should we call him Friday?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think some parents should be hung by their thumbs for naming their kids what they do, but I still believe it is a parent's right to name their own children. It would be nice if people would put some real thought into what to name their children and use some common sense. I knew someone who used to work with some kids with horrible names. Twin girls were named Fettucine and Alfredo. A boy was named A**hole but it was pronounced Uh-shoal-ee. His mom got mad when people mispronounced his name, but what did she expect? I have known a Cinderella (she went by Cindy) and Snow White.

:ohmy:Barbara

Or should we call her Farmer (our cousins named their daughter Farmer)?

I personaly think it is weird and stupid and if it was simply unusual, like my kids, they all have Biblical names, but this is just weird. Read on.

What to name a child? In Italy, a court can decide - Yahoo! News

You reminded me of a Seinfeld episode, where George wanted to name his kid Seven. :rolleyes:

Check out these wacky celebrity baby names.

Kim Basinger & Alec Baldwin: Baby daughter Ireland

Gweyneth Paltrow & Chris Martin: Baby daughter Apple

Matt & Annette Lauer: Baby boy Thijs

Courteney Cox & David Arquette: Baby daughter Coco

Alice Kim & Nicolas Cage: Baby son Kal-el Coppola

Julia Roberts & Danny Moder: Twins Phinnaeus Walter and Hazel Patricia

Shannyn Sossaman & Dallas Clayton: Baby son Audio Science

Tom Cruise & Katie Holmes: Baby daughter Suri

Toni Braxton & Keri Lewis: Baby son Diezel Ky

Heidi Klum & Seal: Baby son Johan Riley Fyodor Taiwo

Jennifer Garner & Ben Affleck: Baby daughter Violet

Geri Halliwell & Sacha Gervasi: Baby daughter Bluebell Madonna

Jools Norton & Jamie Oliver: Baby daughter Daisy Boo

Summer Phoenix & Casey Affleck: Baby son Indiana August

Drea Matteo and Shooter Jennings: Baby daughter Alabama Gypsy Rose

Beth Riesgraf & Jason Lee: Baby son Pilot Inspektor

Paula Yates & Bob Geldof: Baby daughters Fifi-Trixibelle, Peaches, Little Trixie, and Honeyblossom

Paula Yates & Michael Hutchence: Baby daughter Heavenly Hiraani Tiger Lily

Tonya Linette Lewis & Spike Lee: Baby daughter Satchel

Claudia Schiffer & Matthew Vaughn: Baby son Caspar

I tried to be original 8 years ago with my 1st son, Jacob. I guess I shoulda bought a baby book or something, because it was the most popular boys name for 3 years by then, and is still in the top 3. He always has at least 2 other Jacobs in class.

It was Patrick Jacob til he was 3 hours old, but I didn't want people calling him Pat.... remember the Saturday Night Live skits??

So here he sits, Jacob Patrick. :) Turning 8 the day after New Years.

Jennifer Garner & Ben Affleck: Baby daughter Violet ~ no problem with that.
Kim Basinger & Alec Baldwin: Baby daughter Ireland ~ absolutely no problem with that. I love the name Ireland for a girl.
Drea Matteo and Shooter Jennings: Baby daughter Alabama Gypsy Rose ~ her father's name is Shooter, she got the better end on that deal. I like Alabama Rose, but not with the Gypsy in there.
Tiger Woods and his wife Elin Nordegren - Baby daughter Sam (not Samantha) Alexis. That bugs me. Name her Samantha, but call her Sam, that's okay. But to name her Sam, I wasn't impressed.

Jennifer Garner & Ben Affleck: Baby daughter Violet ~ no problem with that.
Kim Basinger & Alec Baldwin: Baby daughter Ireland ~ absolutely no problem with that. I love the name Ireland for a girl.
Drea Matteo and Shooter Jennings: Baby daughter Alabama Gypsy Rose ~ her father's name is Shooter, she got the better end on that deal. I like Alabama Rose, but not with the Gypsy in there.
Tiger Woods and his wife Elin Nordegren - Baby daughter Sam (not Samantha) Alexis. That bugs me. Name her Samantha, but call her Sam, that's okay. But to name her Sam, I wasn't impressed.

I don't have a problem w Violet or Ireland either. There was a similar list on VH1. You would think they would be open to anything. :cool:

My mom used to tease that she wanted to name my brother and me Thing 1 and Thing 2 so that when we grew up, we could choose our own names. Even my grandmother, who was born in 1886, hated her name and used another one she picked for her entire life. (Her name was Myrtle but she went by Marie. I didn't find out her real name until she died!)

There was a very, very rich man in Houston at the turn of the century by the name of Hogg. He named his 2 daughters, the only children he had, Ima and Ura. Ima Hogg's mansion and estate is now a museum there.

I have a good friend who's my age. Her father named her Vincent when she was born saying it was a name to live up to. She goes by Vinnie and she's always liked it. And she became a US Olympic Fencer, so it worked for her.

I guess what I'm saying is the reasons people have for naming their children are as different as people themselves and it's not a new thing. And there will always be names that seem really unfortunate and children who hate their names. But it sure is fun to read about the funny names people have!:)

"This is the city, Los Angeles, California. I work here, I carry a badge. My parnter's Joe Gannon. My name's Friday"

"People make a lot of fuss about my kids having such supposedly 'strange names',
but the fact is that no matter what first names I might have given them,
it is the last name that is going to get them in trouble" - Frank Zappa

My mom used to tease that she wanted to name my brother and me Thing 1 and Thing 2 so that when we grew up, we could choose our own names. Even my grandmother, who was born in 1886, hated her name and used another one she picked for her entire life. (Her name was Myrtle but she went by Marie. I didn't find out her real name until she died!)

There was a very, very rich man in Houston at the turn of the century by the name of Hogg. He named his 2 daughters, the only children he had, Ima and Ura. Ima Hogg's mansion and estate is now a museum there.

I have a good friend who's my age. Her father named her Vincent when she was born saying it was a name to live up to. She goes by Vinnie and she's always liked it. And she became a US Olympic Fencer, so it worked for her.

I guess what I'm saying is the reasons people have for naming their children are as different as people themselves and it's not a new thing. And there will always be names that seem really unfortunate and children who hate their names. But it sure is fun to read about the funny names people have!:)

Hogg was a Texas Governor

And I was upset for a long time because my Mom named me Edgardo because of "Lucia de Lammermoor" and Alfredo because of "La Traviata" LOL

BTW, the state should have nothing to do about personal choices.

Fair or not our names can determine how some people treat us. I read about a study where kids were given a writing assignment. Several people were given the papers to grade. The names at the tops of the papers were names like John and Mary. Then the same papers were graded, but this time they had names like Egbert and Ophelia. The "John and Mary" papers consistently received higher grades than the others. Fair? Of course not. The way things are? Unfortunately, yes. That is why we need to think beyond the moment when naming our children.

:)Barbara

Here's two more to add to the list of unusual names (and I'm not kidding, these two came in through the ER I work at)...Lord Almighty was one, and Daredevil was the other. These poor kids are going to get so kidded when they get to school.:ermm:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom