Should we call him Friday?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree with the mom. This is way too Big Brother's Watching for me. If people can name their child after fruit, why not days of the week? Tuesday Weld willingly and legally changed her name. That's wrong that the government butts in like that.

I agree with you, but that was not my question. Of course goverment shouldn't have saying in this. But should people be this stupid.

I don't see a problem with the name if that's what you are asking. People have named their children what they wanted to for centuries. My friend has children named after the cities they were born in (traveling military), if that's not frowned on why should naming your child after a day of the week? I don't exactly find it "stupid." When I named my daughter 16 years ago people told me I shouldn't give her a boy's name, now it's a popular girls name too. So was I stupid or a trend setter? I prefer to think the latter.

I don't know what your daughter name is, and believe me my daughters have names that are plenty strange, but to name a girl Framer is a bit odd, don't you agree. Okay, so I think naming child Friday is also weird. Well, city's name should be in the same category. maybe I'm wrong. But that is just my feelings.

Uh oh, I don't think I can comment on this since my son's name is Fisher. One daughter's name is Mandolin. I guess I wanted them to have names that meant something to me at the time or that I thought would be unique - not be one hundreds with the same name. My daughter likes her name because she's never met anyone with the same name. Your cousin's daughter may feel the same way.

Oh, Terry, how did I know you would be like me, unable to really weigh in. My daughter is Kasie pronounced like Casey. At the time I named her she was the only girl named Kasie in the school. Now, 15 years later, she's met one other girl with that name. What's wrong with Farmer?

Along the lines, watch what you name multiple children. My daughter's art teacher had a son and named him Joseph. Wasn't thinking when they named their daughter Mary. So they now have Mary and Joseph. All that's missing is Jesus and the family is complete. LOL

Oh, Terry, how did I know you would be like me, unable to really weigh in. My daughter is Kasie pronounced like Casey. At the time I named her she was the only girl named Kasie in the school. Now, 15 years later, she's met one other girl with that name. What's wrong with Farmer?

Along the lines, watch what you name multiple children. My daughter's art teacher had a son and named him Joseph. Wasn't thinking when they named their daughter Mary. So they now have Mary and Joseph. All that's missing is Jesus and the family is complete. LOL
I love that! It's funny, but by the time the younger kids came around, I was out of names so I let the older kids start naming the younger ones. So I have a Sebastian and a Fisher. (But they were almost named Cosmo and Vonnegut!) I love Kasie's name and I'll bet she does, too. Mandolin is long out of college but she never got any flak for her name although she's often called Mandy.

Charlie, I think it's very sweet that you are worried about your cousin's little girl being teased. Kids can and will be mean sometimes. But actually, things are really different now and you would be really surprised at the variety of names people give their children these days. Farmer probably will have one of the "tamer" names.

Charlie, I think it's very sweet that you are worried about your cousin's little girl being teased. Kids can and will be mean sometimes. But actually, things are really different now and you would be really surprised at the variety of names people give their children these days. Farmer probably will have one of the "tamer" names.
With names like Apple, Huck, Suri, Shilloh, and so on, I don't think Farmer will have any problems. I think women just think differently about that sort of thing. It could be worse, she could be Kal-el Coppola Cage.

I am probably way old school. All of my kids are named after grandparents. What can I say, they deserve to have to be remembered. And though I do not believe it is a must for everybody but there are way too many made up weird names. Just because they are celebreties they think they can do whatever they want and general puvlic thinks it's cute. Sorry I don't buy it.

/me looks up from the Robert A. Hienlein book he's reading... then quietly resumes.

Well it could be worse...

There's a story about this family... The lady of the house, a young woman of Chinese American decent, by the name of Sandra Hu who fell in love with a young man by the name of Bernard Leahy. When they got married the loving couple decided to use both thier names and so the family of Leahy-Hu was started.

A couple of years passed and eventually the young couple was blessed with thier first child, a boy. For several weeks before the birth they could not come to an agreement as to what to name the child. Eventually the discussion was cut off by labor and the trip to the hospital. Finally the birth was over, and the question was asked what to put on the birth certificate. Unfortunately this was at the same time Bernard looked at his offspring and said the fateful comment: "You know, he kinda looks like Yoda."

And that is the story behind Yoda Leahy-Hu.

Last edited:
I think some strange names first and/or last are great,but you naver know how the will affect the child. For example my daughters name is Lea King put it togeather and you have "leaking" she has been made fun of,but then she started joking about it herself. Now in her group they all have joking names.
On the other side of the coin, my DD had a friend named Sabeth Black after the rock band Black Sabbeth. She was picked on terribly. She became an angry child. I was like a second Mom to her and she confided in me that she hated being picked on about her name and that's why she hated everyone. When I first heard that was her middle name I asked her mother why she gave her that middle name. The mother said it was because she liked the band. I asked her if she was thinking about what other kid would say and she said she didn't care,it would make her daughter stronger.
One personallity might be fine with a strange name but another personallity won't.

On one end of the spectrum I've known women named Etoy and Jur-L.

On the other end of the spectrum is George Foreman who named his five sons George, George, George George and George.

Back
Top Bottom