Signature Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
We have so many new members here that haven't the benefit of a few years worth of great recipes that have graced this site. I propose that we post our signature recipes, those that we know have been well received and are loved by numerous people. I'll start with the one I'm best known for on this site, Goodweed's World Famous Pancakes. And I hope many follow. And if we remember stand outs from ex-members, maybe we can include some of those as well.

Goodweed's World Famous Pancakes
These little beauties have graced the table of literally hundreds of people to whom I've given the recipe. To date, every person who has tried this recipe swears by it and will not use a boxed mix for pancakes again. They are simple to make, easy to cook, and absolutely delicious. I get bragging rights for this recipe.

You have to follow the technique as well as the recipe to get the best results. Enjoy.

Dry Ingredients:
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tbs. sugar or Splenda Sweetener
1/2 tsp. Salt
3 tsp. Double-acting baking powder

Wet Ingredients:
3/4 cup plus 2 tbs. milk
3 tbs. cooking oil
1 large egg

Combine the dry ingredients in a glass, plastic, or stainless steel bowl with a wire whisk. Add the wet ingredients and stir just until everything is blended. There should be small lumps in the batter. Do Not Overmix as it will toughen the pancakes.

Cook over medium heat until the edges begin to lift from the pan and the bubbles pop, but still close on top. Flip and cook for another 2 minutes. Remove and serve with your favorite syrup, jam, jelly, or honey.

You can add fruits like rasins or blueberries without affecting the batter. You can also add M & M candies if you want. If you add fresh acidic fruit like strawberries, peach slices, apple, etc., you will need to add 1/2 tsp. of baking soda to balance the extra acid.

Enjoy.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

This is what everyone asks for when they come to dinner at our place.

italic.gif

Shaffer style clam chowder

three 10 oz cans chopped clams
1lb bacon
three cups peeled and chopped potatoes
1 1/2 cups chopped onions
2 chicken bouillon cubes
3 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon thyme (some times I use parsley instead)
2 cups half and half
1 cup milk
3 tablespoons all purpose flour

salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
open canned clams reserving all juice
set aside

cut up bacon, removing a lot of the extra fat
in large sauce pan cook bacon until crisp. Keeping the bacon and the grease in the pan
add potatoes, clam juice, thyme, Worcestershire sauce, onions, pepper,bouillon cubes.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat. Cover and simmer for about ten minutes or until potatoes are tender.

Combind milk, cream and flour till smooth. Add to potatoe mixture. Cook and stir until slightly thickened. Stir in Clams. Return to boiling reduce heat. Cook for a few minutes more. Add salt and pepper to taste.

If soup is too thick add more milk or cream
if soup is too thin add more flour mixing with milk or cream first!

We add a tablespoon of butter to each bowl when serving ( not at all good for you
but it tastes great!!!

Add some nice frech bread and a green salad and you've got a wonderful dinner! Use small bowls so you can have seconds! As with most soups this is better the next day!

This would be mine...

Tiramisu Piemontese

img_389635_0_100df275379f923796e5607f60671540.jpg
img_389635_1_aef3ece3acd7ab888fcbd94de66b321d.jpg

Ingredients:
  • 700g/ 1,5 lb mascarpone
  • 6 very fresh (essential!!) eggs (5 if eggs are particularly large)
  • 100g / 3,5 oz sugar
  • half cup of Marsala wine
  • 1 cup (circa, more if needed) freshly brewed coffee (not too strong, slightly diluted) or little more as needed.
  • 600g / 1 lb + 5oz Savoiardi or lady fingers
  • pure cocoa powder unsweetened
  • sweetened cocoa powder
Instruction:
  1. Separate eggs. Beat together yolks, sugar, wine and mascarpone until the mixture attains a smooth creamy texture.
  2. Whip the eggwhite vigorously until it becomes solid. (do this patiently with "high energy", if it is not solid enough the end result will be soggy and soupy!)
  3. Carefully fold in the whipped eggwhite into the mascarpone/york mixture, blend them well and evenly.
  4. Mix 2 teaspoonful of sugar into the coffee, then pour in a container large enough to dip savoiardi/lady fingers comfortably. dip each pieces of biscuits into the coffee quickly, (wet the entire surface for a moment but not until it gets soggy all the way through) lay them neatly in one layer at the bottom of a large square/rectangular baking dish (or 2 medium).
  5. pour half of the cream (mascarpone/egg mixture) evenly over the savoiardi, then sprinkle the sweetened cocoa powder to cover the surface.
  6. lay another layer of savoiardi on top, repeat with the cream, then top it off with unsweetened pure cocoa powder.
  7. Chill it in the fridge for a couple of hours before serving.
Interesting note:
"Tiramisu" means "Pick me up" in Italian (Tira mi su). I was curious about the origin of this name, and when I asked Cristiano about it, he told me this rich cake full of calories (thus it would give you lots of energy) was served traditionally as a final dessert at weddings (the Italian weddings rival to those of Greeks, they keep on eating and eating all day and night!!). This was done to assure the newly weds' very "energetic" and passionate honeymoon following the big feast!!

My Mom's Macaroni Salad

8 oz. box elbow macaroni (cooked, drained, and cooled. This is one time I rinse the macaroni well or you have to double the dressing and entire salad is too dry.)

-sliced radishes, 4 or 5 large
-cucumber, cut long ways, seeds removed, and sliced
-1 yellow pepper, chopped
-1 tomato, chopped (you can use any type of tomato i.e., Roma, grape, etc. If using grape still cut in half so tomato juice flavors salad)
-1 med-large carrot ribbons or just sliced carrots
-2 hard boiled eggs, grated (a must for this salad)

DRESSING
1 cup Miracle Whip
1 cup mayonnaise
1 TBS apple cider vinegar
1 TBS sugar
salt and pepper to taste (heavy on the pepper)

Mix all dressing ingredients first. Add veggies to macaroni and then mix most of dressing with everything. Refrigerate for about 1 hour to let flavors blend. Not totally necessary but it does help. Right before serving mix rest of dressing in with everything else.

Serves 8-10

This is great with the burgers we always make with it at the following link-

Favorite Hamburgers

GW, your pancakes sound fab!!!!

My signature(?) dish - dear to my culinary heart is/are souffles. I started out with a basic souffle recipe (egg/cheese), and still in the midst of embellishing/tweaking. Chocolate souffle is another I've been working on (when I have the time), to come up with a piece de resistance. Will be watching for member's sig dishes.

P.S. If I were stranded on a desert island, with one thing to eat -- it would be souffle!:chef:

Latin Style Bananas Foster

My buddy and I had been making Bananas Foster for an event called "Eats" to benifit an area vocational school and we got bored doing that so we came of with this version.

1/2 stick of butter melted over low heat
1 thinly sliced ripe (sweet) plantian
cook for a few minutes

add 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
juice from 1/2 lime
a splash of tequilla and rum ( or Cyclone which is a blend of the 2)
flame

a few sprinkles of cinnamon

Put sauce over vanilla ice cream and top with cilantro and candied jalapeno slices. ( seeded and viened slices tossed in egg white and then with white sugar and baked at 375 for 10- 15 minutes)

We had an adventurous crowd that loved the new version

JDP

Enchiladas

This is a very good vegetarian entree

Cheese and Bean Enchiladas Serves 12

Enchilada Sauce

3 T. olive or vegetable oil Blend oil and butter in sauce
3 T. butter pan over low heat. Stir in

4 T. flour flour.

Add:
2 ½ cups tomato sauce (I use 1 quart tomato juice in place of sauce
1 ½ cups water and water)
1 small onion, chopped
1 T. cumin
1 t. coriander
1 t. cinnamon
2 T. chili powder
1 T. honey or syrup

Blend thoroughly and remove from heat.

To assemble a 9x13 pan of enchiladas, you will need:

1 can refried beans
2 Cups chopped onions
One pound sharp cheddar cheese, cubed
Corn tortillas, approx. 12 depending on size of tortilla

Spread ½ cup sauce on bottom of greased baking dish.
Layer with corn tortillas to cover bottom. Add 1 Cup diced onions and half of the cubed cheddar cheese, dot with half the can of refried beans. Spread 1/3 sauce. Add more corn tortillas, the rest of the onions, cheddar cheese, refried beans and 1/3 sauce. Top with final layer of corn tortillas and rest of sauce. Bake in 350 oven for 40 minutes or until bubbly hot.

Last edited:
Whole Grain Buttermilk Pancakes

This is my most requested food to be served by house guests. I fiddle with the 2 cups of flour I use. Currently I use 1 cup whole wheat bread flour, and 1/3 cup each ground oats, ground flax seed, and buckwheat flour. Note the mixing technique is different than normal pancakes. You beat the eggs with a whisk, then whisk in the buttermilk/yogurt, then stir in the dry ingredients, and finally stir in the oil. I sometimes drop on frozen raspberries once I have poured the batter onto the hot skillet, before I flip the pancake. If you are using store bought (thick) yogurt, use a bit less than 1 3/4 cups or the batter will be too stiff. The walnut and cinnamon variation is nice. These freeze very well.

Whole Wheat Buttermilk Pancakes 9-12 pancakes

2 eggs
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 ¾ cups buttermilk or yogurt
1 t. baking soda
1 t. baking powder
½ t. salt
2 T. oil

Beat the eggs well.
Add other ingredients except oil and mix. ADD OIL AND MIX AGAIN.
Fry on hot griddle
Variation, add ½ cup diced apples, ¼ cup chopped walnuts and ¼ t. cinnamon.

Last edited:
Mine would have to be pulled pork. Been making it for 40+ years.

Carolina Pulled pork
I posted it a long time ago. It is truly easy and delicious.
1 pork shoulder or butt, bone in or out--any size--the cooking time is the same for a 3#or 8# piece.
BBQ rub of your choice or just rub the meat with a mixture of coarse ground black pepper and brown sugar.
Let marinate 8 hours or overnight.
Method 1--IF you have a smoker that can control the temp (I have a sidebox smoker and can keep the temp at 200*-250*) smoke the meat for 4 hours, keeping the temp low. Then place the meat in a 250* oven for 4 hours to finish. It will be meltingly tender and have a wonderful smoky flavor.

Method 2 (and this is the one I have really used for 30 years). Place the meat in a 250* oven for 8 hours uncovered . I have often done them overnight. It will still have the melting tenderness. You will have to slap your hands to have any left over as you take it out of the oven.

When ready to serve pull chunks of meat off and then "pull" the meat into shreds by pulling between 2 forks. Do not discard the fat--mix it in. This is not a low fat dish and to really enjoy, use it!!!

For a traditional Carolina serving method very lightly moisten the meat with sweetened vinegar (1 qt. vinegar + 1/4C sugar and 2TBS coarse black pepper). It should be SO little that you don't even know you have put it on.

To warm before serving put the vinegared meat in a pan (black iron frying pan or Le Creuset is good) and cover tightly. Heat at 250* until heated.

To serve, offer bbq sauces, cole slaw (in the Carolinas, it goes ON the sandwich), baked beans, rolls, and banana pudding. For fall bbq's Brunswick Stew is also offered.

For BBQ sauce here is my tomato based:
1 bottle ketchup (28 or 32 oz.)
1 ketchup bottle of cider vinegar
6 oz. yellow mustard
6 oz. worcestershire sauce
1/2C brown sugar
3 oz. liquid smoke
2-3 TBS coarse black pepper
Tabasco to your taste
Simmer for 45 minutes.
If you use commercial bbq sauce I suggest diluting them 1/2 with vinegar for this use.
Eastern NC uses vinegar sauces--sweetened vinegar with 1/4C (at least!!) cayenne pepper OR black pepper. It is too hot for me!
South Carolina uses a mustard based sauce

Killer Cheesecake

This is the only cheesecake I make. Loosen your belts, folks. There's a picture of it somewhere around here that I'll try to find.

2 cups chocolate graham crackers, crushed
1/4 cup sugar (you can use less if you want because the graham crackers have sugar in them)
1/3 cup butter, melted
three 8-oz packages cream cheese, softened
1-1/4 cups sugar
4 large eggs
one 8-oz carton sour cream
1 T vanilla extract
1/4 cup butter
1 cup (6 oz) semisweet choc chips
12-oz jar caramel topping
1 cup chopped toasted pecans

Combine first 3 ingredients, stir well. Firmly press mixture on bottom and 1 inch up sides of lightly greased 9-in springform pan. Bake at 325 for 10 minutes. Cool in pan on wire rack.

Beat chream cheese at medium speed of an electric mixer until creamy; gradually add 1-1/4 cups sugar, beating well. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition and scraping sides and bottom, as needed (this part is impo'tant--mud). Sire in sour cream and vanilla. Pour batter into prepared crust and bake at 325 for 1 hour 5 minutes. The center will not be completely set. Turn oven off and partially open oven door (I stick a wooden spoon in the door and "close"-mud). Leave cheesecake in oven 1 hour, then remove to wire rack to cool completely. Cover and chill for at least 8 hours. Carefully release from pan and transfer cheesecake to serving plate.

Now for the killer part!

Make a chocolate ganache Basically heat some heavy cream and then melt a few squares of good quality chocolate in it until you have a thinnish spreading consistency. Spread warm ganache over cheesecake and chill 15 minutes. (I used to melt choc chips in butter but it gets too stiff when cool.)

Combine caramel topping and pecans in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, over medium heat. Boil 2 minutes. Remove from heat and cool 5 minutes. Spread over chocolate, cool completely. Serve immediately, or cover and chill.

I need to see a photo, mudbug....and perhaps one sent to my home....

Any of you make any of my dishes regularly?

jkath, the photo is gone. I posted it a couple of years ago when I was getting started here and it was gigantic big. I s'pect it got removed to free up space.

Darn, now I'll have to make another one soon..........

In my circle of acquaintances I'm known as the "Potato Salad Lady", since I love making all sorts of different variations. The following is my most requested version:

"Danish Blue Cheese Potato Salad"

3 pounds "White Rose" potatoes (or any other thin-skinned
potato of your choice)
1 cup minced red or Vidalia onion - or shallots
6 hard-cooked eggs, peeled and quartered lengthwise
1 16-ounce container of sour cream
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1 cup crumbled Danish blue cheese, or other blue of choice, + extra for sprinkling over the top for garnish
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
1 teaspoon paprika
Parsley for garnish

Cook the unpeeled potatoes in boiling water until tender when pierced with a thin knife or skewer and drain. As soon as they are cool enough to handle, but still warm, cut them into large chunks and place in a large bowl with the onion and the hard-boiled eggs. In another bowl mix the sour cream, mayonnaise, vinegar, blue cheese, salt, pepper, and paprika. Pour over the potatoes and mix gently. Garnish with the extra crumbled blue cheese over the top & parsley sprigs around the edge of the platter or bowl and refrigerate until ready to serve.

Corinne's Seafood & Corn Chowder

1/2 cup butter
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup flour
2 8 ounce bottles clam juice
1 14.5 ounce can chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
16 ounces fresh or frozen corn kernels (yellow and white blend)
8 ounces bay scallops, rinsed and drained
8 ounces small cooked shrimp, rinsed and drained
12 ounces crab meat, rinsed and squeezed dry
8 ounces imitation crab meat, chopped
1 bunch scallions, sliced
2 cups heavy cream
Fresh Thyme for garnish

Instructions: In a large sauce pan or stock pot, melt butter over medium heat.* Sauté onions and garlic in butter until onion is tender.* Add flour and whisk constantly for two minutes.

Add clam juice, chicken broth, salt, white pepper, cayenne pepper, and thyme.* Bring to a boil.

Stir in corn.* Return to a boil.* Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.

Stir in scallops.* Simmer, covered, for five more minutes, until scallops are opaque.

Add shrimp, crab meat, imitation crab meat, scallions, and cream.* Stir gently to combine.* Heat through on low heat, do not boil. Garnish with sprigs of fresh thyme.

Makes about 10 cups.

Oh, I especially want the potato and the macaroni salad. Can you tell I'm readyfor summer?

Mine is probably artichoke dip. It is an easy take on the traditional recipes. Take a can of artichoke hearts or bottoms. Drain & put in your food processor. Then a package of good seasons italian dressing mix (I used to put in all the seasonings separately, but what the heck, let someone else do the work), and 1/4 cup of parmesan or romano cheese. Yes, you can actually get away with the stuff in the green canister (although I prefer it with the good stuff)! A half-cup of mayo (this is where I do not compromise, it must be full fat, low fat is too sweet). Oh, I almost forgot, a few dashes of the hot sauce of your choice. Puree until smooth. Put in an oven proof container and bake at 400 until the top is brown and bubbly (about 20 minutes if I remember right). No matter what I make to bring to a party, this is what they want. "Claire is here! The dip is here!" When I'm doing it at home I serve it with slices of good french bread. When I'm bringing it to someone's house I put it in a tin foil container and use crackers (usually triscuits).

Back
Top Bottom