Silly Food Names

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barbara L

Traveling Welcome Wagon
I'm sure many of you are like my family, occasionally giving silly names to things for various reasons. One of the things we have some silly names for is food. What are some of the silly names you had for foods?

Some of the ones I can remember offhand are:

Hors d'oeuvres = Horse Doofers

Watermelon = Walter ("We're going to kill Walter tonight after supper.")

Worcestershire Sauce = What's this here sauce? (Pronounced more like whatsis-sheer sauce)

One I use now and then just to be silly:

Enchiladas = Enlichadas

Okay, so please tell me it's not just us! :D

Buongiorno Barbara,

Fabulous thread idea ...

Firstly, there are many classic traditional British desserts which have humorous names; so I shall start with the most common:

* Spotted Dog
* Lime Fool
* Roly Poly
* Whim Wham
* Yorkshire Fat Rascals

Secondly, pronouncing unusual words can be quite a task, unless people are polyglots; for example: many people pronounce PAELLA " pie el la " ...
This is quite incorrect and the correct prounciation is: pa YEAH ah ...

To move on, British Breads have some fun names to:

* Potato Baps
* Sel Kirk Bannock: imagine going into your local Bakery & asking for this !

British Soups are also quite hilarious ...

* Cock a Leekie : a leek and chicken soup ( Ask a waiter for this ! )

Have a lovely Sunday,
Ciao,
Margi.

Th

A couple of years ago we were helping a friend move to Atlantic Beach. On the way, we passed one of those roadside signs that look like this:

sw4002-a20.jpg

advertising a roadside market selling shrimp but the "S" had fallen off the sign. Ever since, when we talk about shrimp we call 'em Hrimps

* Bisghetti (spaghetti)
* Chef Boyardoodle or Chef Boyardoo-doo

A few other English specialties:

* Bubble and Squeak
* Bangers and Mash
* Spotted dick (just the mention of this could keep my little brother and I in stitches for an hour or more)

We had others, but most are downright naughty and not appropriate for a family-oriented cooking web site. :blush:

Last edited:
no greg.

3 or 4 weeks, it'll fall off by itself. (pm me for the whole joke)

i remember my sister ordering "dippin' eggs" at a restaurant once, then wondering why the waitress didn't know what the heck that meant.

how about bad italian translation: gabba goo (cappicola), cava deal (cavatelli and broccoli), or pro-shoot (prosciutto)

Crilladillas: Bull´s Testicles

;) Good Morning,

This is it as Michael Jackson sang ... Bull´s Testicles ...

Then in the Iberian Peninsula, excluding the 5 Catalonia Provinces, there are Ox Tails and Sheep Testicles ...

Now, it is quite common for Spaniards to call in English :

Ox Tail = Bull´s Tail
Bull´s Testicles = Bull´s Co go llines ( yees )

Cojones = Throw Pillows
Cojines = Dresser Draws
Cogollines = Testicles

Have a nice Monday,
Margi. Ciao.

This is a dish steeped profoundly in Andalusian Taurine culture and still served in Taurine Tabernas ...

Okay I've got one for the other Sicilians in here:

When my mother made breaded veal cutlets, she'd take the left over bread crumbs and eg, mix it together and fry it up just like the cutlets. What she called it would be pronounced frawshoola, emphasis on the first sylable. I don't know how to spell it, or if she was pronouncing it correctly because the immigrant Sicilians had their own special pronunciations for just about everything. Goomba, for instance instead of Compare. So does anyone know what I am referring to?

Okay I've got one for the other Sicilians in here:

When my mother made breaded veal cutlets, she'd take the left over bread crumbs and eg, mix it together and fry it up just like the cutlets. What she called it would be pronounced frawshoola, emphasis on the first sylable. I don't know how to spell it, or if she was pronouncing it correctly because the immigrant Sicilians had their own special pronunciations for just about everything. Goomba, for instance instead of Compare. So does anyone know what I am referring to?
I'm not Sicilian, but could you be referring to "friciula"? Basically, it translates as "fritter" or pan bread and is a way that thrifty Italians would use up leftover polenta or other dough.

I've heard it pronounced "free-choo-lah", but it seems close enough to your mother's pronunciation to be the same thing.

Last edited:
s.l.o.b, are you talking about mistresses or friends?

a goombah is a guy, or a male friend. emphasis on goom.

a goomah, emphasis on the second syllable, is translated from comare, or mistress/girlfriend.

Always refered to the chicken tail as "The pope's nose"

We also called the crust on Mac and Cheese "The Scab" and we fought for it.

Chipped beef on toast "Shiite on a shingle"

The end of the banana "The butt"

As a kid I called the back piece of chicken (with the tail attached) the turtle. The chicken tail looked like the turtle's head and the back looked like the body. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom