Slang phrases or words prevalent in your locale

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As I tell tourists who seemed to be amused with my 'so called accent', we were the first here with the Pilgrims, so we started the English language here. What the rest of you folks do with it is your own fault. :ermm:
You just reminded me of a joke from the '60s:

Why do the Kennedys say "Afriker" and "Cuber"?

Because they have two "r"s left over from "Hahvahd".

He loved us, John was so tolerant of us and enjoyed our company. He became a nurse, is now a doctor and still a friend of the family. He still has an accent, despite living in this part of the country for 45 years.

I moved to South Texas, twenty miles north of Corpus Christi. Had never been out of Boston. I land and ask the cab driver to take me to Aransas Pass. After several tries of trying to understand at least one word I was saying, he handed me a piece of paper and a pencil so I could write it down. I never lost my accent when I was down there. Bostonians have a way of making one syllable words into two. Beer = Bee Ah. Ail = A Eel. It seemed to amuse Texans to no end. And one time as my neighbor later told me, she never knew she had a palah until I came along. :)

Because much of my life has been spent in and around the military, I've come in contact with just about every accent you can imagine. My dad and his elder siblings still have a French-Canadian (Quebecoise, don't feel like looking up the accents) accent. Mom somehow laundered her New England accent during those years, but when she is around her family she starts to Pahk the Cah in Havaad.

I've noticed, too, that some people tend to, after a few years, start talking w/o their regional accent when face-to-face, then when you talk to them over the phone, the accent is stronger. Maybe it's just me; that I hear it more when I don't see the person talking.

When we were stateside we lived in Northern California, Nevada, Utah, Central California, and spent much time visiting family in the Mojave. To my ear, no discernable accent. My husband has traces of his Midwest origins. What I find interesting is that people from Illinois (he was born in Joliet) pronounce the first "I" as an "E" ... Ellen -noy.

The "Fargo" movie accent didn't even seem exaggerated to me. I was stationed in a very small ND town, and that's really how it sounded to me.

As I previously said, my friends when I was growing up, for some reason all had French speaking mothers; three were French, one was French-Canadian. I was out west when we were on the road, and Antoinette heard me say "kwu-bek". "Claire you know better," she sternly said, "now say that correctly." Oui Madame! Kay-bek."

Being from Maine and having French speaking grandparents (they spoke very good "Maine" English) I learned to say "Kay-bek". Sometimes people look at me a little strange.

Shrek uses, "Is it?" makes me crazy! I make a statement and he says, "Is it?" I just said so, didn't I?

"Shrek, it's raining." "Is it?"

I feel like I spend the whole day repeating myself or wondering why he doesn't believe me.:wacko:

A friend in high school in Ohio awakened me, embarrassingly, to my hillbilly accent when I asked if I could borrow a pen. He said he would lend me his "pen" but didn't have any "pins."

My older brother always said "warsh" for "wash" -- the only one in our family who said it that way. Don't know if he still does -- he has lived in Texas for years.

We who vacationed there always thought the Canadian English was charming, especially the "aboat" (as we heard it).

To turn things slightly scatological...I was teasing my daughters that to ask to use the washroom in their french class they had to say, "Je dois pee pee" (I must pee pee) and so, to my amazement and delight our exchange student from Normandy told me the correct term in her world is, "Je dois faire pee pee" (I must make pee pee). I laughed so hard you have no idea. Reminds me of George Carlin's stand up.

I had no idea that going for coffee was a regional thing! Here we ask, "Do you want to go for coffee?"

How about the way you order your coffee from the barista? I might order a Maple Latte, half sweet. That means to only use half the flavor syrup. At most drive thru coffee spots, a "regular" coffee means one cream, one sugar, and a double double (as I mentioned) is two cream, two sugar. Black sweet, is one sugar no cream, and white is cream no sugar. Is it different in different areas?

BT, we know you aren't picking on Canadians, I'm sorry if you thought we were offended, I was just being silly with you. Luff you buddy!

I didn't realize this until I worked in a restaurant for a day: a regular coffee in Montreal is 1.5 tsps of sugar and one creamer (15 ml, ~.5 ounce).

Most places in Boston have a separate line for coffee to go. So you just say, "Small, large, extra large, Regular please." That is with cream and sugar. Small light w/sugar; Small black, no sugar, no cream. You always give the size first and then state; Regular, light or black. I always get Large light (extra cream) with extra sugar.

If you are ordering in a restaurant, just ask for coffee. They bring the cream and sugar separate. And in Boston, there are no free refills. Although some places will put a carafe of coffee on the table. Very few though. :chef:

The robots that work at Dunkin Donuts don't listen to your order. When you order a regular coffee, they put in cream and a ton of sugar. I watch them routinely spoon three or four spoonfuls into a cup. That's much too sweet for me so I ask for regular with JUST ONE SUGAR PLEASE. They still spoon in three or four. I got tired of asking them to do it over so now I order coffee with cream only and add sugar after I pay.

The robots that work at Dunkin Donuts don't listen to your order. When you order a regular coffee, they put in cream and a ton of sugar. I watch them routinely spoon three or four spoonfuls into a cup. That's much too sweet for me so I ask for regular with JUST ONE SUGAR PLEASE. They still spoon in three or four. I got tired of asking them to do it over so now I order coffee with cream only and add sugar after I pay.

I hear ya! There is a "take out only" Dunkie in the financial district. They have the cups lined up for regular. Cream and sugar are already in them. Ask for a black, and they don't know what to do. Even if you wanted to, you can't add your own sugar. It is a takeout window on the street. There is no inside to go in. Yet the do a land office business in the freezing winter weather. Sorry, I don't want to be standing out on the sidewalk freezing while I order coffee.

My minor beef is the Starbucks ordering system...Tall? Grande? and what's the last one? Humongous? LOL! Glad I don't work there. Small, medium and large are all my little brain can process.

We joke about the mini Tim's cup. We call it an espresso shot.

My coffee is easy to order...black. Don't mess with it. As they say in Blazing Saddles, "Hot, brown and plenty of it!"

What you lurk forever and the only time you post is to correct me??? :mad:;)

Just for that dinner is NOT going to be ready when you get home. :LOL:

:LOL::LOL:

My coffee order, when I order one is: 16 oz, quad shot Brevè, don't steam it, no flavor.

I rarely order coffee anymore, most places only serve brown water or burnt brown water. I'd rather go home and get a good cup of coffee.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom