"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-14-2012, 11:32 PM   #1
Sous Chef
 
no mayonnaise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 553
So who are you? Tell us about yourself

We should all get to know each other a little bit. My name is João and I come from El Salvador. I am an immigrant to the United States. My family came here in 1998 and they have all been deported but luckily I wasn't home when la migra came in and took them.
Now I cook in a kitchen and I love to cook food. I like to make Panes Rellenos and beans and I drink Coca Cola or beer. I wake up and drink a Clamato beer every day when I wake up and I start cooking.
Here is me at Halloween of 2009

Notice my movie collection.
I have started to go on a diet before the summer starts and so I am also looking for low fat, low carb, vegan, raw recipes with no gluten so if anyone can help I would apprecitate it.
Happy cooking everyone and be safe.

__________________

no mayonnaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:38 PM   #2
Certified Cake Maniac
 
LPBeier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Great "Wet" North
Posts: 20,250
No Mayo, we actually have a whole section under the Introductions forum for getting to know so and so threads. You will find a lot of info there.

Maybe one of the mods can moves this there and we can do the question and answer thing with you as we have others. I will start with a couple.

Do you cook for a living? And if so, in a restaurant?

If you could only eat five dishes for the rest of your life, what would they be (can be anything from appetizers, mains, desserts, etc.)?

Love the costume by the way.
__________________

__________________
Living gluten/dairy/sugar/fat/caffeine-free and loving it!
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:04 AM   #3
Master Chef
 
Sir_Loin_of_Beef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sandy Eggo
Posts: 8,681
I am a mystery, inside a riddle, wrapped in an enigma.
__________________
I Luv Sandy Eggo!
Sir_Loin_of_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:05 AM   #4
Master Chef
 
Rocklobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ottawa Valley, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 6,397
I am a regular guy who is sometimes irregular....
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:14 AM   #5
The Dude Abides
 
TATTRAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bermuda Native in D.C./NoVA
Posts: 5,422
Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by no mayonnaise View Post
We should all get to know each other a little bit. My name is João and I come from El Salvador. I am an immigrant to the United States. My family came here in 1998 and they have all been deported but luckily I wasn't home when la migra came in and took them.
Now I cook in a kitchen and I love to cook food. I like to make Panes Rellenos and beans and I drink Coca Cola or beer. I wake up and drink a Clamato beer every day when I wake up and I start cooking.
Here is me at Halloween of 2009

Notice my movie collection.
I have started to go on a diet before the summer starts and so I am also looking for low fat, low carb, vegan, raw recipes with no gluten so if anyone can help I would apprecitate it.
Happy cooking everyone and be safe.
lol, serio? Creo que están jugando.
__________________
flickr

@JONOBRANDS
TATTRAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:35 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Park Drive Bar/Grill Los Angeles
Posts: 13,104
My wife is from El Salvador and I've been there once. The country was beautiful but our visit was during their civil war so things were a bit hairy. I was not used to seeing teen-aged boy soldiers with AK-47's EVERYWHERE. The daily water ration/shut off were a trip.
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:27 PM   #7
Master Chef
 
Sir_Loin_of_Beef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sandy Eggo
Posts: 8,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
My wife is from El Salvador and I've been there once. The country was beautiful but our visit was during their civil war so things were a bit hairy. I was not used to seeing teen-aged boy soldiers with AK-47's EVERYWHERE. The daily water ration/shut off were a trip.
Why does that remind me of Don Henley's "All She Wants to do is Dance?"
__________________
I Luv Sandy Eggo!
Sir_Loin_of_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:27 PM   #8
Sous Chef
 
no mayonnaise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Do you cook for a living? And if so, in a restaurant?

If you could only eat five dishes for the rest of your life, what would they be (can be anything from appetizers, mains, desserts, etc.)?

Love the costume by the way.
Thank you for your gracious ways and I will answer the questions.
I cook for a living at Whataburger. I choose Whataburger because they have good recipes for the cheeseburgers and I get a free meal. I feel like it is a good fit for my life style. My new diet will be difficult with cheeseburgers and delicious bacon around me all day filling my head with desires.

My 5 dishes would be ants on a log, toad in a hole, pigs in a blanket, Fugu, and cheeseburgers.
no mayonnaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:35 PM   #9
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mostly in my head
Posts: 2,601
What is a toad in a hole?

I have a post in the getting to know section. It is http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...ffe-73338.html

Feel free to ask questions or just read what has already been asked and answered.

I like the costume. If you'd like, I'd be happy to ask you questions on a getting to know you post. Just let me know if you want "normal" questions or my more creative questions.
__________________
Just because something has a duck bill doesn't mean it's a platypus. It might just be a duck.
Roger Miller: You can't roller skate in a buffalo heard, but you can be happy if you've a mind to.
purple.alien.giraffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:05 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 15,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by purple.alien.giraffe View Post
What is a toad in a hole?
Toad in a hole is essentially a piece of buttered bread, with a hole cut out of the center, that is put on a grill/griddle with an egg cracked into the "hole" in the bread. Kind of an all-in-one poached egg.
__________________
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:08 PM   #11
Master Chef
 
Aunt Bea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: near Mount Pilot
Posts: 7,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
I am a regular guy who is sometimes irregular....
Have you tried starting your day with a Clamato beer?
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:12 PM   #12
Master Chef
 
Sir_Loin_of_Beef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sandy Eggo
Posts: 8,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
I am a regular guy who is sometimes irregular....
I suggest a glass of juice and 4 Psyllium capsules every morning.
__________________
I Luv Sandy Eggo!
Sir_Loin_of_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:30 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 14,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
Toad in a hole is essentially a piece of buttered bread, with a hole cut out of the center, that is put on a grill/griddle with an egg cracked into the "hole" in the bread. Kind of an all-in-one poached egg.
In addition to the American egg Toad in the Hole, there is also a totally different British version.
Typically the Toad in the Hole is sausages cooked in a popover/Yorkshire pudding batter and topped with delicious onion gravy.
Fantastic!!

__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:35 PM   #14
Master Chef
 
Rocklobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ottawa Valley, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 6,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Have you tried starting your day with a Clamato beer?
I thought it was only us Canadians who drank that. You have good taste. It is a good hangover beverage.
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:36 PM   #15
Master Chef
 
Rocklobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ottawa Valley, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 6,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
I suggest a glass of juice and 4 Psyllium capsules every morning.
I'll never take anything I can't pronounce
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:44 AM   #16
Master Chef
 
Sir_Loin_of_Beef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sandy Eggo
Posts: 8,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
I'll never take anything I can't pronounce
It's easy. Silly-um. Or you can just call it Metamucil
__________________
I Luv Sandy Eggo!
Sir_Loin_of_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:47 AM   #17
Master Chef
 
Rocklobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ottawa Valley, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 6,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
It's easy. Silly-um. Or you can just call it Metamucil
. I was just pullin' yer leg.....about the irregular thing too.
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:41 PM   #18
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Both in Italy and Spain
Posts: 3,425
Muchísimas Gracías. Eres gracioso, amable y sociable.

Mi entrevista es en GETTING TO KNOW YOU.

Margi Cintrano.
Margi Cintrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 04:45 PM   #19
Master Chef
 
Vanilla Bean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Washington State
Posts: 7,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
I'll never take anything I can't pronounce
I won't either
__________________
A little kindness goes a long way.
Vanilla Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:17 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire
 
buckytom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: My mountain
Posts: 21,539
this remained nds me of socrates'last words, "i drank WHAT?"

ok, getting back on topic: i yam what i yam.
__________________

__________________
The past is gone it's all been said.
So here's to what the future brings,
I know tomorrow you'll find better things
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
×