So You're About to be Stranded on an Island...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gettingbetter

Assistant Cook
Yep, the ship is sinking and you're in the kitchen pondering what to grab (you only have time to get one thing) before you jump on the life boat and head for that little remote island in the distance.

You could be there for awhile, a long while.

What do you grab from the kitchen (food or otherwise) to bring with you?

I'll go with the "the biggest knife I can find". Could be helpful in a lot of ways. That or ice cream...whichever is closest.

Matches to start a fire. Keeps wild animals away, keeps you warm, makes smoke for s.o.s. and cooks the fish that you can catch with a homemade spear.

Um my Marlboros, and my pic is attached so thats 1. :LOL: :LOL: I know how to make a knife in the wilderness, just like my ancestors. Cherokee Indians!!! Hahahah kewl Question!!

I'm already stranded on on island...... I would take my hubby to take care of me:shifty:

img_135977_0_1d3ad886c4cd81434d882b8b733fa1f0.gif

i've actually done a good bit of survival training, and i'd have to say a big knife, or a cleaver if possible. and if i could grab something else quickly, it would be rope, or heavy string.

fire, shelter, and food can be obtained from the environment, but you'll need the knife/cleaver to get them. the rope or string would be used for trapping food/fishing, and for starting a fire.

btw, it always makes me nuts watching the dopes on "survivor" try to build shelters, in the worst locations, then try to start a fire by actually rubbing sticks together...

water and matches.

Who knows if there is going to be a lake or stream on the island you are stranded on.

i was trained to use my shoes laces. the laces on military boots are especially useful as they are strong.

using a string of some sort (you could always use the inner bark of trees twisted together into a string, but that's getting really difficult), you make a fire with the bow and drill method.

first, you'll need some really fine, dry kindling like dead grasses, cottonweeds, thin bark strips, or dead leaves and such. this is packed around 1 of 2 small wooden blocks that you have cut from a branch with the knife, with a small depression on one side (facing up). then, you make the drill out of another branch, about 2" thick and a foot long, like a dowel, tapering one end to fit into the block's depression. the other block is used to hold down on the top of the drill. now, you get a longer branch, and make a bow out of it with your string or shoelace. the drill is twisted into the bow, then placed into the bottom blocks depression with the kindling packed around it. holding the drill down with the upper block (that has been greased to reduce friction with skin oils and pus from around your nose), you pull the bow back and forth, causing the drill to spin back and forth in the depression, creating heat from the friction. this will eventually get hot enough to cause your kindling to ignite.

ok, the greasy nose thing is gross, but it works, or else the upper block will get as hot as the kindling block.

umm, texasgirl, does this explain it ok?

Back
Top Bottom