Some Fireworks pictures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllenOK

Executive Chef
Here where I live, the City does Fireworks FOUR time a year, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, and New Year's. I was able to go and get some pictures last night of the fireworks going off.

I had my camera set for everything "auto", except I was using the Time-Lapse feature. Most exposures were either 3-second or 4-second, with the early ones being 2-second captures. I didn't think to bring my tripod, so these are handheld, my with elbows braced on a park bench, and holding the camera as steady as I can. You might notice some trembling in these images.

I captured 47 images, and once I got them home, and "developed" them on my laptop by rotating, reducing the size by 50%, sending the ones I didn't like to the recycle bin, then cropping the images, I had 32. If you look really hard, in the lower right corner, you just might see a tree that was kind of in the way.

2006laborday13kp0.jpg

2006laborday18go6.jpg

2006laborday26zk3.jpg

Note: the picture(s) might not show up due to bandwidth limitations. If the picture(s) are not there, check back at a later time.

HH from Allen in MI

Wow Allen, for doing that handheld you kept the camera remarkably still. Not an easy thing to do with a 3 or 4 second exposure!

GB said:
Wow Allen, for doing that handheld you kept the camera remarkably still. Not an easy thing to do with a 3 or 4 second exposure!

Elbows resting against the park bench, wrists bracing each other, and holding the camera as still as possible. Almost like I'm praying. I'm a fairly good shot with firearms, so this is somewhat similar in that respect.

Actually, if you look at the third pic, you'll notice that I jiggled the camera a bit on that one.

Since the pyrotecnics only last for a fraction of a second, there's little window of opportunity for the camera to shake during the explosion, while anything else that's constantly lit in the exposure will blur. In almost all the shots, there was a concession stand at the bottom of the exposure, and it's blury. I cropped that out.

The shake in the third picture just looks like the wond blowing the sparks. I have some firewroks shots I took where the camera was on a tripod and they have the same look as your third picture. You are one steady guy as far as I am concerned.

Nice pictures!!
I have to steady mine by resting my elbow on my knee also. I've always been a shaker.

Back
Top Bottom