Someone broke into our garden

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
YT2095 said:
just quickly, what you`ll need will be an old mobile fone, the sort that doesn`t power off if left for a few mins, and you want this fone on the Vodafone Pay as you talk Smart price plan.
that way you can top the thing up with a fiver and leave it in there forever until you make a call.

next you give this fone to the Handy person with the solding iron, they take the fone apart to expose the keypad, the SEND button on the fone is the one you`re interested in!
the keypad is a rubber membrane, cut the send key section out push 2 wires through that new hole and solder them onto the 2 contacts that were under that send key, and then put the fone back together.

you want to put a little Micro switch to the end of these 2 wires, so when the switch is pressed, it now acts as the Send key (in effect you`ve just extended the key).

mount this to the garage door in such a way that when it`s closed the switch isn`t pressed, but gets pressed as soon as it opens a little.

now type in Your Personal mobile fone, make an entry in there called Garage, and put the number of your modified fone in there.

in the modified fone put in your mobile number ready to dial, then just wait for a burglar, as soon as the door opens a fraction that fone gets SEND pressed and dials you :)
on Your fone you see "GARAGE" show up

now dial 999 and tell then that you`re Currently being broken into :)

that`s the bare bones basics of it :)

I'm so sorry redkitty! How violated you must feel.

Brillant YT! You remind me of my dad in that aspect as he was always inventing something. Good for you getting it patented. I know dad invented something and someone stole the idea and made quite a bit of money off his idea..... this was a long time ago. Your suggestion is much better than mine and safer..... I was going to suggest hooking up an electric shocker and when the bugger grabbed the door handle he'd get more than he bargained for. **one of those things they hook up to fences for livestock** I thought of this as my dad did it to his screen door on the garage when we were little because the neighbors big dog kept jumping up on it trying to get in when we were in there.....one good shock taught that dog.

Last edited:
You wont believe this, they came back again tonight. During the day, while I was inside the house. Cops here again, detective came with fingerprint kit, only to find that these bas*rds wore gloves and some sort of printless shoes. Ill have to write more later as I'm emotionally wore out and cant think straight. I actually cried out earlier that I wanted my daddy.... :(

Sorry Kitty, have no suggestions.

Here we have items to dissuade that behavior.

And we both know how to use them.

Have no idea what you can do except, if it is an option, getting out of Dodge.

Such brazen thieves! Did they take anything this time, RedKitty?

Get a camera and hook it up to view the shed door. :furious:

The week after I lost Paul I had a whole house alarm put in. I keep it on day and night....AND believe it or Not i received a card from the Sheriff's office saying they have recovered a 32 caliber revolver that was taken in 1989...Boy, I wish it could talk!! I already have a hand gun and all of Paul's hunting rifles etc...but I think I should still put a beware of the dog sign on the fences...

"Go get-tum Dove!!"
:LOL: :LOL:

P.S. I have always said if i was left alone I was going to get a German Shepard..Kev. says for me to also buy a large shovel..

A burglar may get in my house but they won't get out unless they shoot the dogs. My animals can be very aggressive with strangers.

redkitty said:
You wont believe this, they came back again tonight. During the day, while I was inside the house. Cops here again, detective came with fingerprint kit, only to find that these bas*rds wore gloves and some sort of printless shoes. Ill have to write more later as I'm emotionally wore out and cant think straight. I actually cried out earlier that I wanted my daddy.... :(

Gosh redkitty, I am so sorry you are going through this. Years ago, someone broke into my mom and dads house when they were at work. I know how awful they felt. Mom said she never felt the same in the house again.

You poor poor thing. Time to set up YT's invention? It makes one feel vulnerable and violated. But you are ok, and we're all here for you, and now you have to work out how you're going to protect yourself from future violations! Lots of Hugs to you today.

Thank you so much everyone for your kind words. I didnt sleep so well last night, but I'm ok. Landlord came by last night and secured the gate until he could come back today and install new locks, on the garage door and the back gate door. He also put up that stuff you use to lay carpet, with the nails sticking up? Its over the top of the gate door so they cant hop over without cutting themselves apart. I already moved everything of value out of the garage. Now I gotta some of it upstairs and store it in our 3rd room.

I was supposed to start my new job today, but I'm going in tomorrow. They were very understanding. And I got a care package from my Dad, Trader Joe's favorites! Came on a good day. :)

Thanks again everyone, you all really made my day. :)

:) There are also motion sensored alarms I like the dog barking thing also.
And all that doesn't work you can always do the old bucket of water over the door trick.:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Sorry couldn't help myself with that last one.

If they put green dye in the bucket, the police could find them very quickly! :ROFLMAO: :LOL:

In fact, they went through a testing phase of something very similar: a dye that was did not come of the skin for some weeks and was visible only under ultra violet light.....I wonder what came of that?

I know 45 years ago the police used an invisible powder to catch thieves. Once it was on your skin, it didn't wash off for weeks and turned your hands blue.

These days, they'd probably call it entrapment. :wacko:

So sorry, redkitty! I hope they catch the jerks. Also, I knew everyone here was highly intelligent but I didn't know I was in the company of geniuses! Makes my suggestion of landmines seem rather stupid.

Another idea, not as elegant as YT's or HB's, but if you are talking garden equipment and practical stuff, somehow burn into the handles or indelibly put on the statement: 'Stolen from ............".

It may prevent the crooks from being able to sell the stuff and they may leave you alone.

The police do lend out ultra violet pens to mark your stuff with (just noticed we brits are a bit keen on ultra violet!) they use to be more vocal about it as an idea. I remember one summer we all painted our horse rugs with our postcodes....created havok when the ponies were sold to new homes, lol

Back
Top Bottom