Song Thrushes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

csalt

Sous Chef
This is the time of year (UK Spring time) when the song thrushes perch on TV aerials and sing their little hearts out. At professional singer couldn't do it with so much variety, and joyfulness.
They are pure joy to listen to and I just love being out there doing the garden and listening to them. They really lift your heart.:)

Like you, I am enjoying all the many different types of birds returning here also!. The hummingbirds started coming back about a month ago and soon I will have to put out all of my feeders for them and watch out for the orioles stealing from them, lol. here is one I caught stealing yesterday:
img_430590_0_dd84dd61dd848c23c13b4520c78fe5bc.jpg

Ohhh, I envy you guys, sometimes I wonder what it is like to live in a country side and / or a house with a nice garden, where you can enjoy some bird watching or listening... all I can hear from our flat in the central rome is an exasperated neighbour screaming at her kids, and pitiful wailings of a poor dog left on his own inside suffering the emergency of nature's calling...:wacko: (though it could be worse... it is facing the courtyard so the noise from the street hardly reaches here)

We have brown thrushes here...don't know if it's the same as your thrushes, but they are so beautiful.
I enjoy our songbirds, too, especially the mockingbirds. I find it amazing that their tiny little brains can remember all those songs!

I heard my son's alarm clock go off this morning - AFTER he had already left. While I was making my bed I just listened to it and finally I went in to turn it off. It was NOT his alarm clock but a bird outside his window who apparently has that sound down pat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There are 4 beeps, silence, 4 beeps, silence, etc., etc. The little bugger had it right!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love hearing the western mockingbirds here until they decide to sing from 1 or 2 a.m. on!!!! I do feel very lucky that we do have such a wide variety of birds here; some are just on their way to another place and you need to look quick or they are gone. Here is a first year bald eagle that was here some weeks ago; it was being hassled by a flock of ravens and took a rest on our property.
img_430609_0_97583ae71d5f133f8bbb04ddcabc0873.jpg

I live in a condo but one of my friends has a large house with a big backyard. She loves to garden and she has bird tree houses filled with the right food for them.

I miss not having a yard but at the same time living in a condo is cool because I don't have to do anything. We have a gardner, a pool man, a cleaning crew that comes once a week and any repairs that need fixing are taken care of by the President of the Association. I tried having some live plants in the house but eventually they all died. I quess plants are not my thing.

When I am sitting here at my computer, I can look out the window at a big pine tree in our backyard and watch all kinds of birds. My favorite are the Cardinals, they are so beautiful. We also have a lot of Finches, they don't sit for very long though. I always like to plant red flowers so I get lots of Humingbirds in our yard. They are so much fun to watch.

Wish we had more pretty birds here, love the finches, but have only seen the red headed ones, love the yellow and black ones. The sparrows have taken over my feeders ! Love my robins too !

We had some mockingbirds by our house in Tennessee and my kids got to calling them the "top 40" birds

My husband makes fun of my hummingbird obsession that comes around every spring/summer. I simply love them!

We live in the woods, with river bottoms to the west and Rend Lake Conservancy District to the north, so we have a lot of wild birds in the area. We feed them in the winter, and we have plenty of things here to attract them in the summer.
I get am kick out of the towhees, which are deep woods birds, and only show up in the worst winter weather.
I love my little Carolina wrens, that hang around all year, and have so much personality. Last year, they built a nest in a huge staghorn fern that I had hanging just outside the bathroom window. I could sit on the loo and watch them feeding the babies. It drove the cat crazy. He'd sit in the window sill and try to catch them through the glass. :LOL:

It's cool watching the big red tailed hawk, perching in the top of our oaks and watching the field beyond our fencerow for mice and snakes. He has a wingspread of 4-5 feet, and when he soars overhead, he casts a big shadow on the ground.

The cardinals are always here, but they look especially beautiful when the trees are covered with snow. They hang in the branches like Christmas tree ornaments, waiting their turn at the feeder.

Then there are the woodpeckers...downy, red-bellied, nut hatches and flickers. Junkos, tit-mice, chickadees, pee wees, house wrens, evening grosbeaks, gold finches, and even an occasional wild hen turkey are some of our other visiters.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom