Southern Deli Vs. Northern Deli

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Uncle Bob

Chef Extraordinaire
What's in your Delicatessan???

I have seen folks from up north come here and see a Southern deli and be amazed:ohmy: It's not what they expected at all. Most Southern Delicatessans are centered around hot food. Peas & cornbread, Rice & gravy, mac & cheese, fried chicken, fried okra, butter beans, corn, smashed tator etc. Long lines form each day for lunch/dinner. With a small area for meats and cheeses. Aren't northern delicatessans more just meats and cheeses etc.???

There's nothing wrong with either concept but, again ...

What's in your deli???

Lets Have Fun & Enjoy!!!

up here in northern NJ, mostly italian fare:

eggplant parm, chicken parm, fresh mozz, sun dried tomatoes, portabella mushrooms, broccoli rabe, proscuitto, italian heros, fresh baked italian bread, marinated artichokes, etc. I LOVE a good italian deli :pig: haven't found any except for in this area.

Are you talking about the deli in the grocery store? or an independent deli? Our grocery store delis must be like the north - they are stocked with every conceivable kind of meat and cheese. I bought some wonderful buttercase cheese today - it is so creamy I really have to limit myself. Our deli also has cooked veggies, salads, chicken in several different styles, desserts, sandwiches, olives, cheese spreads. I don't know if I've ever even checked out all that they have - just what my interests are at the moment.

licia said:
Are you talking about the deli in the grocery store

Yes Miss licia, I was referencing grocery store delis. Which are more of a hot food counter here than a deli like so many people are accustomed to in major cities. I would love to be able to buy really fresh mozzarella for instance. All I can get locally is packaged from ten-buck-two! :LOL: I can drive a couple of hours, and get pretty good stuff but......

Oh good thing you clarified. I was thinking you meant restaurant type delis. He is MA a deli is a restaurant and a deli counter is the supermarket variety you are talking about.

In MA the deli's I know of are split between meats and cheeses, prepared salads (pasta salads, bean salads, etc.) and hot offerings like chicken parm, fried chicken, meatballs, etc.

Yeah GB...

The typical grocery store deli here is...Choice of two veggies, 1 meat, cornbread or roll and tea served up in a styrofoam clam shell for $3.49
With a small section of cheese, meats, and a few cold salads. Some of the chain stores are getting better in some market areas, but cannot compare to grocery, or free standing stores in your area for example.

There are a lot of people here who believe there are only two kinds of bread.
Light bread & cornbread:LOL: A "fresh" bagel is out of the question!

We really don't have a decent deli in this town anymore. All the independent grocers have gone out of business since Walmart came to town, and our Walmart doesn't have much variety. Their fried chicken is awful.

Same stuff that you described is found in my area. Fried chicken , pasta salads, sandwiches, whole meats (ham, turkey, roast beef) that you can get sliced by the pound, etc.

there are all kinds of delis in and around nyc. ethnic, gourmet, bodegas that have a deli counter, and places that are closer to a buffet style restaurant. there's many different combinations therein.

ethnic delis often have meats, cheeses, cured veggies, breads, etc., and imported (from it's ethnicity) canned and dry foods, cooking equipment, and reading material. some are cross cultural ethnic, such as a place down the block from my home carries italian, spanish, and polish specialties.

gourmet delis have high end meats and cheeses, desserts, imports from various places, homemade or local goods, and organic foodstuffs.

bodegas are a kind of general store, for small stuff. everything from cigarettes, to moustache wax, to bicycle locks, to chips, pretzels, and beverages. many of them have a deli counter, for meats and cheeses by the pound, or in a sandwich. some have a hot table and/or salad bar.

then there's delis that have a take-out counter for sandwiches and a few small shelves of dried/canned goods, but their main business are hot tables and salad bars, with a small seating area adjoined.

My grocery store deli is pretty darn good!! The meat/cheese case where they custom slice to order dominates the deli area but there are smaller cases for salads, the hot meal of the day, olive/mozz bar, make fresh subs, International cheeses/meats.

As far as restaurant deli's we have a few really good Italian Deli's and Jewish Deli's that also have grocery sales.

Up north= Whada whant.....done, gtho.

Down South=Hey, hun..whatcha feelin like?.....<insert anwser>....heck, my hubby would LUV you, come on over for dinner..........

I grew up in the Longhorn Pa. area where the local deli was basically a sandwich shop which sold mostly hoagies (subs,grinders) and sandwiches, fresh bread and rolls, with the pickle barrel. Todays supermarket deli is far cry from the deli of my youth. I really haven't found one since moving to Maryland

Back
Top Bottom