Sports

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jikoni

Sous Chef
Sports anyone? football, rugby, cricket, basketball etc etc. Watching Rugby, Ireland v Scotland. It's not out of choice, but as long as Ogara is in the team, I will watch! Looking good for Ireland so far.

I only watch them if I can be there, the only except being NASCAR. In that case I like to move the TV and home theater outside and grill and drink while watching it all day. Basically 'tailgating' in the backyard, LOL.
They just built a brand new stadium south of us for a professional soccer team. Couldn't tell you the name of the team or stadium, but it does show how popular the sport is becoming around here.

Over the years my sports "attitude" has changed. When I was in high school and college, I was a great fan of basketball. I went to college in northern Minnesota and loved to ice skate and became a lover of ice hockey. That was fueled by the desire to follow the career of one of my cousins who was pursuing professional hockey. He was great even if I do say so myself.

When our 5 children were in school we didn't have any sports connections, even though of the 4 boys, two of them were 6' 6" and 6' 8", none of them played basketball. You'd think, wouldn't you. No, their sport was "girls."

When Buck and I lived in Washington, DC, we loved to watch the Washington Redskins play football. One of our favorite pastimes was Monday night football and a big bowl of cold crab legs and beer.

Now sports don't do a lot for me. We watch the Super Bowl just for fun and mainly for the commercials. My usual behavior for that event is watching the commercials and going to the bathroom during the game.:ROFLMAO::wacko:

I live for Steelers football. I used to live for NASCAR but then I moved to Mooresville and it's like seeing how hot dogs are made. It's just not the same once you've seen Dale Jr wondering around Wal-Mart at 1 am after a night of drinking at the local hang out. Granted, I'm watching it, but once football comes back, I'll definitely not tape the races if they conflict with the Steelers.

Football season ended :( very sad but I love sports and you can usually find something on, even if it is golf :P (Anybody watch Tiger today? Amazing)

We won!!!

Our team, Newcastle Jets, won the Australian A-League soccer grand final last night in Sydney. They now get to represent Australia in the Asia Cup.:)

Soccer, Rugby League, Rugby Union, Aussie Rules, V8 Supercars, Golf, Tennis, Indy, with the cable tv remote in one hand, hubby will watch any sport.:rolleyes:

i watch sports almost every day or night, with hockey, baseball, and football as my faves.

if i had to choose just one, though, it would be hockey. i'm as obsessed as the craziest canuck on a frozen pond. we have 3 hockey teams in the nyc area, so most nights from the fall through the spring, i can catch a devils, rangers, or islanders game. i'm a die hard devils' worshipper, but still enjoy rooting for any team playing against the rangers and islanders.

this overlaps with the baseball season from the spring through fall, in which nyc has 2 teams, the yankees and the mets. again, most days or nights, there's a game on somewhere.

and mixing into these seasons, football used to dominate my sunday afternoons. since it's my only day off, i've pretty much given up watching live games and subsist on tv replays and newspapers in order to spend the day with my family.

i've tried to get into soccer (football/futbol), and have followed glasgow celtic of the spl, but it's just too slow for me. yes, i can appreciate the skill and athleticism involved, and it's interesting to watch plays develop, but you can see the same amount of action from and entire 90 minute match in the first minute of a hockey game.
that said, every 4 years i still watch the world cup with great interest. it's a great tournament for underdogs. who doesn't love to watch a tiny underdog defeat a huge world power like brazil or argentina?
unfortunately with international play, i cannot stomach players faking injuries every time they get brushed by another player. rolling around, grabbing a body part to try to influence the ref for a card is unsportmanlike, imo. i'm surprised they don't cry more often. and i don't just mean the italians... :cool:

i prefer watching women's soccer, as it seems to be a sport better suited for the "gentler" gender. lots of tension and build up, and back and forth plays before they even get close to something that matters. and both the men and women try to find ways to tie their hair back, but still look good. :-p

all kidding aside, my irish buddies have remarked that soccer will never catch on in the u.s. because they don't stop for 45+ minutes, so you could never run commercials. maybe they should have quarters instead of halves. they could run a commercial while the players check thier eyeliner. it can get runny, ya know. :)

i've heard it said that the way players handle injuries describe the toughness of the games. in soccer, a simple thigh bruise could mean 2 weeks off; in baseball, you might get taken out of the game. in football, you have to be dripping blood to get a rest for a down or two. in hockey, even if the stattered bone is protruding, they tape an aspirin to it and you're back out for your next shift.

ok, one of the best routines about the differences in sports: YouTube - Baseball and Football

Last edited:
The sport I played the longest as a kid was soccer, and although I had fun I never really cared for it. My favorite sport was tennis. In high school I played tennis all four years and was captain my senior year. It was pity, I'm sure, as the other captain and I were the 1 doubles team when captains are usually 1 and 2 singles. The thing I did to waive half of my gym credit was four years of marching band!

Still, I don't care for watching any sports. I used to watch the Tigers and Red Wings up until last year. I had enough heartbreak over things that don't really matter.

I know what you are saying buckytom, our rugby league is like your NFL without the padding and believe you me when they tackle you can feel and hear the hit between the players. Soccer can get a little monotonous when they "fake" the injury and it is frustrating. DH follows Newcastle United in English Premier League, I follow Arsenal. The only game that has quarters is Aussie Rules.

My favorite TV watching sport is football, followed by golf and Sunday commercials, aka Nascar. However, since I got an HDTV, I've been known to watch whatever may come on. It brings the sport to a whole new level of home watching :cool:

As far as 'real' sports in my life? An occasional game of golf with some beer drinking buddy's and that is about it.

Bought a Wii machine for my grand daughter to use when she comes to visit :rolleyes: and I've become quite proficient at Tiger Woods Golf and Brunswick Bowling :LOL:

Speaking of 'video' golf....I participated in a video golf game (Golden Tee Live) tournament Saturday, sponsored by ESPN Radio and Coors Light

ESPN Radio

Out of 12 players at the iBar, who do you think was the "Dawg"? Who was the oldest player there? Who will be going to the semi-finals on March 7th?

That's right, last night yours truly was the "Dawg in the House" :cool:

And they wouldn't let me use my glove!! Didn't matter, I kicked some young whippersnapper butt without it! Whose yer Daddy? :LOL:

I gave up basketball and football years ago. As a matter of fact, we're canceling NFL Sunday Ticket. I still watch baseball every so often. Hockey, however, I can't live without. Gotta have my Center Ice.

I use to watch Hockey on TV and go to games, but when tickets got too expensive to go I quit watching.
Now I stick to watching my DD play soccer, basketball, and softball. I think those games are even better to watch because they are playing because they want to not for a paycheck.

who's your team, plumies? the ducks?

Oh boo, yuck, ick! :ROFLMAO: hehe, I have tried to like them in the past but there's just something about the ducks that I don't like. Actually, would you believe the Sabres are my team? DH grew up in Buffalo. I used to watch the Kings all the time (we get both LA and Anaheim in San Diego) until DH started dragging me to sports bars to watch the Sabres. And to think I was the one pushing to get Center Ice. :LOL: Now watching west coast teams is just so different, slow. I still watch some Kings games especially when they play ducks, or stars. I just prefer to watch the Eastern conference games.

We're hoping to do the hockey stadium vacation tour in the next few years. Vancouver will probably be the first trip. Then probably back East.

Last edited:
plumies, the sabres are who I use to go watch. The best game to see was-- Sabres against Tronto Maple Leafs.

Football and Nascar. I don't care for the rest of them. I will watch the Mav's a few times a year, but, that's it.

plumies, the sabres are who I use to go watch. The best game to see was-- Sabres against Tronto Maple Leafs.

Go Sabres!! (hope they make the playoffs...:ermm:) I especially like the games against the Leafs and the Senators. Did you watch last night's game? Ugh. Guess it was poetic justice in a sense for Briere.

I finally got to see the Sabres play live when they were on the road to CA in Dec. I took a couple of days off and we went up to Anaheim (bad game) and then up to LA (an even worse game). Too bad I didn't push to fly up to San Jose to see that game cuz they actually won that one, figures.

It'll be really cool to see them at HSBC Center. Hey, with the way they're playing, maybe I might even be able to get tickets when we do get out there. :rolleyes:

the Embassy World Darts is the only Sport I`ll watch, and that season`s Over now until next year.

although I don`t mind watch the Football World Cup when England`s playing, gives me a good excuse to throw empty beer cans at the TV :D

Back
Top Bottom