Strange sky yesterday afternoon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bethzaring

Master Chef
These photos were taken in a short period of time. The sky was odd and changed very rapidly.

Attachments

• IMG_2634.jpg
    IMG_2634.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_2653.jpg
    IMG_2653.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_2656.jpg
    IMG_2656.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 75
I love seeing the clouds transforming, the power of God, the smallness of each of us under the beauty. Thanks for the pictures.

Lovely and scary, at the same time.. :ohmy:

Ross

Ditto Wow and lovely ... and yes, scary.

Lately we've had quick changes too. Never even thought of taking pictures, figured it was cold fronts or something charging along. and camera never available 'just at that moment'.

So, did your weather change significantly before, after, during?

Ditto Wow and lovely ... and yes, scary.

Lately we've had quick changes too. Never even thought of taking pictures, figured it was cold fronts or something charging along. and camera never available 'just at that moment'.

So, did your weather change significantly before, after, during?[/QUOTE]

No it didn't. Just our typical winds...15-25 mph. Today's sky is doing almost the same thing...but not as dramatic as yesterday.

DH taught Earth science for years. I showed him these pictures and he said the first two are a phenomenon called virga. The winds are blowing sand and dust into the air, and downdrafts (powerful winds going straight down) from the clouds are bringing moisture, but the moisture evaporates before it hits the ground, leaving the dust.

DH taught Earth science for years. I showed him these pictures and he said the first two are a phenomenon called virga. The winds are blowing sand and dust into the air, and downdrafts (powerful winds going straight down) from the clouds are bringing moisture, but the moisture evaporates before it hits the ground, leaving the dust.

Virga is a very common feature here and this is not a virga anyone has seen before. There is a little bit of virga going on in the second photograph, but virga was not the predominate feature of yesterdays' sky. It was the cloud formations, the colors, the rapidly changing cloud formations and their evolving colors. I'll try and post a few more photographs.

Virga is a very common feature here and this is not a virga anyone has seen before. There is a little bit of virga going on in the second photograph, but virga was not the predominate feature of yesterdays' sky. It was the cloud formations, the colors, the rapidly changing cloud formations and their evolving colors. I'll try and post a few more photographs.
Climate change is a thing everywhere, changing not just temperatures but intensities of wind patterns and storms.

I loved the photos. Weather can be enchanting and terrifying. I find slow or fast changes mesmerizing - until the high winds start to blow.

Watching the news about the fires in California, I wonder if it's related to ash and smoke in the air drifting over to New Mexico.

I don't know. We are getting smoke from fires in New Mexico, Arizona, Utah and Colorado, as well as CA. We are most affected by the 3 week+ Medio fire north of Santa Fe, than any other fire. But I'm sure our air quality is better here than in CA.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom