Stray kitty cat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
He just might be Mama. I could tell you guys stories you would not believe. This cat is actually famous around here. I live 5 minutes from The Tufts veterinary school which is one of the best vet schools in the world. Any time Loki goes to the vet they call the school to see if the students want to come in and see him. I won't go into details, but lets just say he is not a normal cat.

He just might be the cat from hell. After all he has tried to jump into the over while it was on twice.

I think my wife and I are partly to blame. This is not the reason we named him this, but Loki was the Norse g-d of mischief.

GB, your cat sounds very clever.

Having started to clicker trian my cats (positive reinforcement) I have found it very useful. One of my cats is averagely bright, the other super-bright. With both I find a cobination of clicker -reward for good behaviour and spray for bad behavior has been invaluable. Timing is very important, and consistancy. For the water pistol to ork it has to be a givin that he goes to scratch in tthe wrong place he is sprayed. You need a set up situation for this. Either a lazy morning with the papers. The punishment should be instantand consistant. He needs to be sprayed several times ina row if he goes back several times in a row.

There are all sorts of reasons why I use both a punishment and a reward system, and I think a they go the water pistol is a good balance of humane and effective.

Re declawing, I honestly would not do it. I hesitated to reply on this thread once declaing was raised. GB's situation is perhaps a rare exception where the cat had a great home but needed something done to make the situation work, as. My cat are siamese and cannot retract their claws fully ever. They are regularly trimmed and cause very little damage.

despite popular belief cats CAN be trained, but it takes patience, good timing and calmness (its embarrassing how often one can be outwitted by a cat- me and GB eH, lol?) but it can be an excellent way to bond with them and develop personal skills, like that darn patience!

From the sounds of things, if GB used a clicker, the cat would probably take it away from him and it would be scary to think what he might do with it! :LOL:

Last edited:
GB, your cat sounds very clever.
Actually I think it is the opposite. I think he is either stupid or brain damaged or retarded or some combination of the above. I believe that is why he just can not be trained. My other cat is very well trained. I just have to say "no" and he stops doing whatever it was that he was doing.

Actually I think it is the opposite. I think he is either stupid or brain damaged or retarded or some combination of the above. I believe that is why he just can not be trained. My other cat is very well trained. I just have to say "no" and he stops doing whatever it was that he was doing.

LOL, really? and he still has you wrapped around his declawed paw?:rolleyes::LOL:

On some days he does. On other days I feel like not grabbing him out of the oven when he jumps in :LOL:

My sister had two handsome long-hair male cats. One was black and one a tawny with beautiful blue eyes. (Sammy and Sinatra) They scratched everything in sight, including the two tame intimidated Keeshounds she had. One dog had to have a couple of stiches in his nose. She had them snipped and clipped. They didn't seem to be phased by the neutering and de-clawing. Although Sinatra lost his affectionate nature and started biting. My 80 year old father's attitude was "No ba##s, no claws...put a bullet to their heads.

They prefer "mentally challenged".
Or is that mentally challenging? :huh:

They prefer "mentally challenged".
I know you are just joking around, but just thought I would weigh in that not everyone who is retarded prefers to be called mentally challenged. Some would rather be called retarded.

did you ever wonder if you were mentally challenged, and everyone was just being really nice to you because of it.

i have. :huh:

no, it is more like taking off your fingernails... which only hurts for like a week. All of my previous cats have been declawed and lived very long and happy lives.

I bet there are a lot of bums that would give the tips of their fingers to live in a house, get fed and be loved. Why would a cat be any different?

true but the bum has a choice.

babe:dry:

It shouldn't be double-sided... why would you want to stick to your chair or couch if you brushed against it? Let alone have a cat or dog or child :ROFLMAO: stick to it either?!?

Nope, plain old simple flimsy-as-heck tape did the trick for me.

:heart:
Z

It shouldn't be double-sided... why would you want to stick to your chair or couch if you brushed against it? Let alone have a cat or dog or child :ROFLMAO: stick to it either?!?

Nope, plain old simple flimsy-as-heck tape did the trick for me.

:heart:
Z
I used double sided because I was using it on a door, not a couch.

This is OT but I have a mentally challenged daughter and many of her friends are also mentally challenged and they all hate the word retarded. It is used as an insult and a derogatory term so much in the US.

That is true. A lot of people do hate that term and it is used as an insult (which disgusts me). An equal amount of people hate the opposite. My brother in law is retarded. He and his parents and sister (my wife) have fought for years to have people call him what he is, retarded. They find it insulting that people think it is such a horrible thing to be called what he is. He is retarded and he is not ashamed to say that he is.

I am not saying that people should be called or not be called xyz. Each person needs to decide for themselves (or family in the case they are not functioning enough to make the decision) what they want to be called.

I think it's the simple fact that people are uneducated about mental handicaps. I don't consider people who are labeled "handicapped" to be handicapped at anything at all. It was God's will for them to be the way they are, and they are no less of a human being and are definitely not handicapped at what matters - love. They are just different from what society considers normal - so what?

But, to not deter anyone from the point of the thread, I say try those Soft Paws. They aren't for every cat, but most cats seem to do well with them. If you use them, make sure you find out how to trim the nails properly so that they don't bleed, but also be careful because when the nails start to grow back they may get caught on blankets or fabrics. If you plan on making the new kitty an indoor one, that is. If it is outdoor I don't recommend anything that keeps it from using it's claws.

So, talk about stray kitties! My husband brought a kitten home the other day. It's Mama was nowhere to be found. It was skinny as a rail and living in the woods next to where he works. He drives a tractor trailor and the trucks go in and out of a gate right next to the woods. He was afraid it would get run over so he brought it home. We were going to "fatten" it up a little bit and then give it away but I've grown attached. :wacko:

Any ideas on a name for this little girl?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom