Sunday Special - 50's Music

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
Sunday Special - 50's Music
What 1958 song are these lyrics from ..
"Right to the end, just like a friend,
I tried to warn you somehow
You had your way, now you must pay"
Bom, ba-ba-Bom, ba-Dang-a-Dang Dang, a-Ding-a-Dong Ding,.." is the first (and last) line in what 1961 hit?
During the week of June 1, 1959, the number one song was a history lesson about "The Battle of New Orleans." Who sang this number one hit?
What 1959 song are these lyrics from ..
"I don't know if we're in a garden, Or on a crowded avenue. You are here and so am I. Maybe millions of people go by, But they all disappear from view..."
Who had a smash hit in 1957 with "Diana" ?
Who sang 'It's Just A Matter Of Time'?
Name That Tune ;
Nat "King" Cole had a big hit in 1950. The last line of the song was "Or just a cold and lonely, lovely work of art".
"I play the game but to my real shame You've left me to dream on my own"... Name the song.
a. - "Hearts of Stone"
b. - "My Prayer"
c. - "The Great Pretender"
d. - "Singin' The Blues"
What Girl Group charted big with "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow" ?
Who sang 'Splish Splash'?
Who sang "Party Doll" in 1957 ?
a. - Elvis
b. - Fabian
c. - Jimmy Clanton
d. - Buddy Knox
Who did that great instrumental, 'Sleepwalk' ?
How about the artist who was "'Singing The Blues'?
a. - Guy Mitchell
b. - Marty Robbins
c. - Don Gibson
d. - Terry Stafford
"You Send Me" is a 1957 single by which singer?
The week of May 12, 1959, featured the Everly Brothers' second number one hit. What was the name of this classic?
a. - All I Have to do is Dream
b. - Bye Bye Love
c. - Bird Dog
d. - Cathy's Clown
From Dec. 31, 1951 to March 14, 1952, this Johnny Ray classic sat in the #1 spot on the charts;
" If your sweetheart sends a letter of goodbye It's no secret you'll feel better if you....."
Can you name it ?
In late 1952, Little Jimmy Boyd had a seasonal hit, which has become a staple of those holiday music collections..............
a. - All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth
b. - I'm Gettin' Nuttin' for Christmas
c. - I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus
d. - (Have a) Holly Jolly Christmas
What year did Bill Haley and his Comets "Rock Around the Clock" ?
Name the group who charted in the fifties with "My Prayer", "Only You", and "(You've Got That) Magic Touch", among others ?
20. The last four songs to chart at #1 in the decade of the fifties were " Mack The Knife", "Mr. Blue", "Heartaches By The Number", and "Why" ;
Name the Artists..............

1. Who's Sorry Now
2. Blue Moon
3. Johnny Horton
4. I Only Have Eyes For You
5. Paul Anka
6. Brooke Benton
7. "Mona Lisa"
8. - c
9. The Shirelles
10. Bobby Darin
11. - d
12. Santo and Johnny
13. a
14. Sam Cooke
15. - a
16. Cry
17. - c
18. 1955
19. The Platters
20. Bobby Darin, The Fleetwoods, Guy Mitchell, Frankie Avalon

I did OK. I'm about 75% on this one. I didn't know some of the real oldies, but enough to make it through. Didn't know Bobby Darin or the Shirelles. I could sing just about every song though!

I missed "The Fleetwoods" on #20. Otherwise I did good, love the oldies, just ask Shrek.

Funny, not only do I love the oldies, I own almost all of these on CD. But trying to retrieve the trivia from my little gray cells? On Jeopardy, I'd be a big fat loser!.

Funny, not only do I love the oldies, I own almost all of these on CD. But trying to retrieve the trivia from my little gray cells? On Jeopardy, I'd be a big fat loser!.

As you would expect, I also carry around a lot of trivial information on a myriad of subjects ; But I'm in agreement as well on how I would fare on JEOPARDY !

I'd never be first on the buzzer......... thought process is just too slow for that venue, LOL

I suppose I'm showing my age, but I remember all of them. I don't remember who sang some, but most of them, I still know the words. Funny thing, just today I received a long list of some of the songs from our class secretary about a male quartet from our school who sang some of them.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom