Sunday Special-ANCIENT HISTORY

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
"By the time a man realizes that maybe his father was right, he usually has a son who thinks he's wrong." - Charles Wadsworth

happy fathers day !

Sunday Special-ANCIENT HISTORY

1. Name the human relative that went extinct about 30,000 years ago.
2. Name the earliest known walled city, built about 11,000 years ago.
3. The Paleolithic, Mesolithic and Neolithic are all periods of what "age" of man?
4. The Assyrian Empire was centered in what modern-day country?
5. Name the king credited with building the hanging gardens of Babylon.
6. What's the modern-day name of the location of the ancient Minoan civilization?
7. What year did the first Olympic games take place in Greece?
8. What is the counting tool built by the Chinese around 550 b.c.?
9. Name the two city-states that fought each other in the Peloponnesian War (431 b.c.)
10. Who was the famous son of King Phillip of Macedonia?
11. Who was the Carthaginian General who invaded Italy by bringing his Army across
the Alps in 218 b.c.?
12. Who were the ancient far eastern warriors whose name translates to "those who
serve"?
13. What do Archeologists call an ancient man-made relic?
14. what was the find that lead to the deciphering of Egyptian Hieroglyphs?
15. Fill in the blanks;
The four earliest centers of civilization were the ----river valley, the -----river valley, the
------river valley, and the ------and ---------rivers region.
(4 OUT OF FIVE BLANKS CORRECT COUNTS AS A CORRECT ANSWER )

1. NEANDERTHAL
2. JERICHO
3. STONE AGE
4. IRAQ
5. NEBUCHADNEZZAR II
6. CRETE
7. 776 B.C.
8. ABACUS
9. ATHENS AND SPARTA
10. ALEXANDER THE GREAT
11. HANNIBAL
12. THE SAMURAI
13. ARTIFACT
14. THE ROSETTA STONE
15. Fill in the blanks;
The four earliest centers of civilization were the -NILE river valley, the INDUS river valley, the YELLOW river valley, and the TIGRIS and EUPHRATES rivers region.

Last edited by a moderator:
Correct in red:

1. NEANDERTHAL
2. JERICHO
3. STONE AGE
4. IRAQ
5. NEBUCHADNEZZAR II
6. CRETE
7. 776 B.C. those are numbers...I'm bad with numbers, I had the B.C. part right:ROFLMAO:
8. ABACUS
9. ATHENS AND SPARTA
10. ALEXANDER THE GREAT
11. HANNIBAL
12. THE SAMURAI
13. ARTIFACT
14. THE ROSETTA STONE
15. Fill in the blanks;
The four earliest centers of civilization were the -NILE river valley, the INDUS river valley, the YELLOW river valley, and the TIGRIS and EUPHRATES rivers region.
I said PO river.

Does this mean I'm fairly close to ancient?

While I didn't get them all correct, many of the answers were provided during the World History class I interpreted in high school this year. It's hard to remember everything when you're interpreting but surprised myself by how much I could recall!

While I didn't get them all correct, many of the answers were provided during the World History class I interpreted in high school this year. It's hard to remember everything when you're interpreting but surprised myself by how much I could recall!

What? You get the added benefit of learning while interpreting? Cool!:)

If you can remember it! You have to listen to the lecture and understand it to be able to translate and interpret it into sign language since many English words don't have equivalent signs. You also have to consider how the word is being used. The English word "run" has many different meanings (run a marathon, run for office, nose runs, run in stockings, run the store, run the machine) and in sign each one is a different sign. Also, English can be both passive (The door was closed by the boy) or active (The boy closed the door) while ASL is always active. You have to listen and understand to make it clear or you end up saying The door closed the boy.

If you can remember it! You have to listen to the lecture and understand it to be able to translate and interpret it into sign language since many English words don't have equivalent signs. You also have to consider how the word is being used. The English word "run" has many different meanings (run a marathon, run for office, nose runs, run in stockings, run the store, run the machine) and in sign each one is a different sign. Also, English can be both passive (The door was closed by the boy) or active (The boy closed the door) while ASL is always active. You have to listen and understand to make it clear or you end up saying The door closed the boy.

I would be doing the backwards thing for sure!:LOL: It must be horrible if you get behind translating. Now, that I think about it, most ASL translators don't even start until they have heard a whole sentence, at least from what I've seen.

I'm proud to say I now understand, "Where's the puppy?" in ASL:) I get asked it all the time when Patron has been absent.

You're right about waiting. It sometimes is hard in school since the Deaf child gets the question after all the others so they often don't get the opportunity to answer in class. Timed tests are hard for the same reason. I've enjoyed working at the high school and had good refreshers courses in Algebra, Earth Science, World History and English lit (Romeo and Juliet was not fun to interpret!)

You're right about waiting. It sometimes is hard in school since the Deaf child gets the question after all the others so they often don't get the opportunity to answer in class. Timed tests are hard for the same reason. I've enjoyed working at the high school and had good refreshers courses in Algebra, Earth Science, World History and English lit (Romeo and Juliet was not fun to interpret!)

You know, my dad used to tell me to sit on my hands when I spoke...:LOL: Maybe I should have been a translator.

Does your tutee read lips? That would be a good skill and be able to beat the other kids to answering a question.

Not so well. She has a cochlear implant which helps but she's still learning to listen. My dad used to say "If you tied her hands up, she'd not be able to speak." so sounds like we're kindred spirits in that regard! My kids tease me because now I sign and talk a lot of the time. I often forget that others don't know what I'm saying with my hands!

Not so well. She has a cochlear implant which helps but she's still learning to listen. My dad used to say "If you tied her hands up, she'd not be able to speak." so sounds like we're kindred spirits in that regard! My kids tease me because now I sign and talk a lot of the time. I often forget that others don't know what I'm saying with my hands!

She'll learn, Rome wasn't built in a day!

I just think it is so neat to be able to sign. I had the urge at one point, but the instructor of the course preferred that I didn't learn. I was running a sandwich shop and she would bring in her students who would have to place orders (they were hearing, learning to sign) and get me the ignorant cashier to understand what they wanted. We had fun with it, but it was un-nerving to know there were 10-15 people in the dining area and not a sound could be heard.

Funny, I was just talking to a friend who is going from being extremely hard of hearing to deaf. Says she wants to start out with a lip-reading rather than learning sign because no one she knows knows ASL.

Two hints for anyone who is dealing with someone who can't hear well, or is learning English as a second language, Look the person in the face. When you speak, most of us have facial expressions and body language that help getting a concept across. So many people mutter into their chest. Speak distinctively (not in a way that communicates frustration or that you think the person is stupid), directly face-to-face.

I was told many years ago, when I met, socially, a profoundly deaf person, that you (and I was told many times since, when dealing with people who couldn't speak English), you always look at the person who you are having the conversation with, not the person doing the translating.

Odd the things I've learned over the years.

I originally wanted to teach the deaf but couldn't afford the colleges that offered that back in the '70s. I found a little orange manual alphabet chart on the ground as a kid. I used to practice spelling words all through school. I've done some book studies, taken couple community college classes (one with a deaf teacher ). I've got a fair vocabulary for signing but never had anyone to practice with so I'm useless for actually communicating. So now I just sign music in my pew at church mostly because it adds another element of expression during worship for me. I learned Signed English but I still have to pay attention to concepts not just literal wording.

I originally wanted to teach the deaf but couldn't afford the colleges that offered that back in the '70s. I found a little orange manual alphabet chart on the ground as a kid. I used to practice spelling words all through school. I've done some book studies, taken couple community college classes (one with a deaf teacher ). I've got a fair vocabulary for signing but never had anyone to practice with so I'm useless for actually communicating. So now I just sign music in my pew at church mostly because it adds another element of expression during worship for me. I learned Signed English but I still have to pay attention to concepts not just literal wording.
A good friend of mine at church does the same thing, and for the same reason. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom