Sunday Special- Louisiana Cooking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
Sunday Special- Louisiana Cooking

1.Which of the following best describes the primary difference between Creole
and Cajun cooking?
a. Rice is a staple of Cajun cooking
b. Cajun cooking often involves making a roux
c. Creole is often seafood based
d. Creole has a European heritage

2. A properly made roux, for Louisiana purposes, is made to be light, medium, or dark. If you were making an authentic Cajun gumbo, which roux would you use ?

3. When in New Orleans, you may come across a dish called "Trout Marguery."
This delightful dish probably arrived in New Orleans thanks to one Jean Galatoire, who created Galatoire's Restaurant. How is this dish prepared?

a. Neither of these ways.
b. With shrimp, fish stock, and béchamel sauce
c. Either of these ways
d. With shrimp, seafood stock, and hollandaise sauce

4. One of the great soups of New Orleans is turtle soup. Whether enjoying lunch at Commander's or dinner at Arnaud's, this very rich soup is made with a brown roux with beef stock, celery, garlic, tomato purée, and other herbs and spices. Is it made with real turtle meat?

5. Switching from the elegance of turtle soup, let's move on to this Cajun specialty! This is a sausage made with pork butt, bacon, pork liver, herbs and spices, and above all, lots of cooked rice. What is this down home delicacy?
a. Andouille
b. Chaurice
c. Boudin
d. Tasso

6. One of the fine egg dishes typical of New Orleans is this one created by Antoine's Restaurant. It consists of a bed of creamed spinach (in Béchamel sauce), artichoke hearts, poached eggs - all covered with hollandaise sauce. What is this divine creation?

a. Eggs St. Charles
b. Eggs Benedict
c. Eggs Sardou
d. Eggs Houssard

7. There is only one real pepper sauce in Louisiana. Founded by Edmund McIlhenny, Tabasco has been produced on this island by the McIlhenny company
since 1868.....................
a. Timbalier Island
b. Avery Island
c. Pelican Island
d. Grand Terre

8. "Estomac mulâtre" is a traditional stiff gingerbread that is typical Cajun. It consists basically of lard, flour, buttermilk, ginger, and molasses. It was normally made by the Creole women of the New Orleans area and given to children as a treat. What is the more common name if this food?
a. Stage planks
b. Biscotti
c. Gingerbread sticks
d. Pralines

9. Often in the streets of old New Orleans, you could hear the Creole women shouting, "Calas, tout chaud". What are calas?

a. Chestnuts
b. Doughnuts
c. Fried rice balls
d. Sausages

10. This divine creation is long a specialty of Brennan's Restaurant and served as part of their famous breakfast. It
consists of bananas cooked in butter, banana liqueur, and rum (151 proof).
This mixture is ignited and served over vanilla ice cream along with some sprinkles of cinnamon. What is this famous dessert?

a. Bananas Foster
b. Bananas Melba
c. Bananas Flambé
d. Bananas Jubilee

11. What ingredients make up Louisiana cooking's "Holy Trinity"?
12. Fill in the blank; The primary ingredient's of "Hoppin' John" are ________ and rice.
13.What is a pirogue?
14. "Etouffee" is a spicy cajun stew served over rice and, usually, crawfish.What is the literal translation of "Etouffee" ?
15, A round sandwich as big as your head, made with a variety of meats and olive salad is a New Orleans Staple.....what's it called?
16. Another sandwich from the area is built on a long loaf of French bread, usually stuffed with oysters, shrimp or roast beef. A “dressed” one comes with mayonnaise, lettuce and tomato. What's the name of the sandwich?
17. The garlic braids that hang in the French Market of New Orleans are called....... what?
18. A blend of African and Cajun music highlighted by the accordion and the washboard is called ________.
19. Gumbo – thick, spicy soup prepared with ingredients such as rice, sausage chicken and okra....... What is "Gumbo Ya Ya"
20. What is the Primary ingredient in Jambalaya?

1. d
2. dark
3. c
4. yes
5. c
6. c
7. b
8. a
9. c
10. a

11. onion, green pepper and celery
12. Cowpeas (black-eyed peas)
13. Small wooden boat pointed on both ends.
14. to "smother" or, to "suffocate"
15. Muffaletta
16. Po' Boy
17. Prayer Beads
18. Zydeco
19. When everybody talks at once, or when EVERYTHING is in the Gumbo.
20. rice

Cajun cooking also has a European base. Cajun is short for "Acadien" which was their name for the Maritime Island of Eastern Canada. The Acadiens came from France! European, also.... just via Canada, after they were thrown out by the English because they refised to give up speaking French and their French heritage.

and I wonder whether this quiz was put together by the McIlhenny's? Depending upon where Louisianans are from there are definitely other REAL hot pepper sauces besides Tabasco. :ermm:

Cute factoids though.;)

When sitting at my table...I say.."pass the Tabasco or either pass the "hot sauce" So Chefjune is correct...there are other Louisiana Hot(pepper) sauces. Some excellent ones...some just so-so. Then there is pepper sauce which is another animal.

I agree about Q #1- I struggled with how to phrase it; almost left it out.........

oh, my favorite hot sauce??
img_418221_0_f074c72690e12eaf6ae65a698c5346ee.jpg

Last edited:
My bil is a Cajun and his first language is French. To state that Cajun heritage is any less European than Creole, which has both a Spanish and African heritage, is I think in error.

Let me just use boudin as an example. Sure the boudin (blanc) made in Louisiana is different than that produced in France, but folks learned to make what they could with what was available, and rice was certainly available in LA.

And the beignet? What is the derviation of them?

And I could go on and on.

The French Acadians had to learn to live with what they found. And they did so not only admirably but created their own cuisine.

But to say that cuisine was not born of European origin I think is just folly.

luckytrim said:
Wowzers!

I sure lit a fire this week, didn't I??
:rolleyes:

The question does say "best describes". Out of the 4 choices offered. The answer was a gimme. Certainly not the "only description".

No "fire" here..

Thanks for posting...Was fun!!!

Back
Top Bottom