Sunday Special - The Wild West
1. On what date did the Central Pacific and Union Pacific Railroads meet at
Promontory Point, Utah to complete the first Transcontinental Railroad in
the United States?
a) January 29, 1861
b) May 10, 1869
c) July 4, 1864
d) September 10, 1871
2. For approximately how long did the Pony Express operate?
a) 1.5 years
b) 3 years
c) 4.5 years
d) 7 years
3. What makes up a Dead Man's Hand?
4. Where was Geronimo at when he surrendered in 1886?
a) Skeleton Canyon, Arizona
b) Fort Bayard, New Mexico
c) San Simon Valley, Arizona
d) Silver City, New Mexico
5. What was shootist John H. Holliday's profession?
(Though arguably correct, we are not looking for "Gambler", but rather, his formal profession)
6. How many people died at the Gunfight at the OK Corral?
7. At what site in California did James Marshall find gold on January 24,
8. How old was Billy the Kid when he was killed?
9. What was the Surname of the brothers that rode with Jesse James ?
10. Who assassinated Jesse James ?
11. In what town did the Dalton gang meet their demise?
12. What were the real names of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid?
13. In what South American country did Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
work in a tin mine when they fled the United States?
14. What was the name of the hideout where Butch Cassidy would hide?
15. What did Doc Holliday die from?
(Bonus; How old was he at his death ?)
16. Judge Roy Bean named his court room and saloon bar after a famous
English music hall Actress. Who was She ?
17. This young man arrived in San Francisco during the gold rush to sell
tent canvas. Unfortunately, he found the market completely saturated. So, he
did something else with his canvas, and achieved fame and riches. Who was this enterprising man?
18. The Missouri Treaty gave the United States 43 million acres of land.
With what tribe was this treaty signed?
a. - Comanche
b. - Omaha
c. - Kiowa
d. - Lakota
19. In which country did the term "cowboy" originate?
a. - Australia
b. - Mexico
c. - United States of America
d. - Ireland
(Bonus ; What was America's first "Cattle Town")
20. What were unbranded cattle called?
1. b) May 10, 1869
2. a) 1.5 years
The Pony Express ran from April 3, 1860 through October 1861 when the
telegraph was completed.
3. Wild Bill Hickock was holding a pair of Aces and a pair of Eights when
Jack McCall shot him in the back at Carl Mann's Saloon No. 10. The suit and
fifth card he was holding are not known and the source of much speculation
4. a) Skeleton Canyon
Geronimo surrendered in 1886 at Skeleton Canyon, New Mexico.
6. Three people were killed at the OK Corral in Tombstone, Arizona on
October 26, 1881. They were Billy Clanton, Frank McLaury and Tom McLaury.
Virgil and Morgan Earp were seriously wounded.
7. Gold was found as a chance discovery by James Marshall at Sutter's Mill
10. Bob Ford
11. Coffeeville, Kansas
12. Robert Parker and Harry Longbaugh
14. The Hole in the Wall
15. Tuberculosis (he was 35)
16. Lily Langtree
17. Levi Strauss
18. b - Omaha
19. d - Ireland (Boston)
Ireland's Forgotten Cowboys