?? Sunday Special- To honor Barbaro.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
?? Sunday Special- To honor Barbaro.....
who wanted to win so badly that he jumped the start and fractured a leg..........
a quiz with a horsy theme.
1. Match the famous rider with his mount...
George Custer a. Traveler
Robert E. Lee b. Black Nell
"Wild Bill" Hickock c. Little Texas
Teddy Roosevelt d. Vic
2. His voice belonged to Allan "Rocky" Lane; his real name was Bamboo Harvester"- by what name was this steed better known?
3. By what name was Lakota Sioux chief Tashunka-uitco better known?
4. by what nick-name was the fictional character Eric Cartwright better known?
5. This term was first coined by scientist James Watt in 1782, and when cars came along, the term was applied to them; what's the term?
6. Movie Mogul Jack Woltz wakes up in bed with Khartoum, and immediately starts screaming- who is Khartoum, and what movie are we talking about?
7. Notre Dame Football players Harry Stuhldreher, Elmer Layden, Jim Crowley and Don Miller were given this collective nick-name- what is it?

.1. d- a- b- c
2. Mr. Ed
3. Crazy Horse
4. "Hoss"
5. Horseless carriage
6. Khartoum was his prize thoroughbred-
only the head was in the bed- the movie was "The Godfather".
7. "the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse"

That was the saddest race I've ever watched.

I'm not normally into the racing scene, but have been watching the Triple Crown races since I was kid, & still do now - mostly because 2 of my mares did race & both are related to famous racers (Alydar & Ruffian).

This particular tragedy was all the more poignant because I know Barbaro's trainer, Michael Matz, from his old equestrian days, & he's a really nice guy. I know bad luck happens to everyone, but this was a real whammy for someone who didn't deserve it.

We can only hope that they're able to save the horse, but the prognosis is pretty grim. Horses aren't easy to keep confined & immobile for long periods of time.

I'm not a fan of racing, but happened to catch the Derby and saw Barbero win. Became a huge fan, and we all made plans to watch the Preakness. I just burst into tears when I saw him lame, and my heart is heavy this morning. Reports I've read have said 2 fractures, one above and one below the ankle, that happened the first part of the race - not as a result of the horse breaking the gate at the beginning. He's at U. of Pa. vet center. I hope they can save this wonderful animal.

Back
Top Bottom