?? sunday special- trials and tribulations!!
sunday special- trials and tribulations!!
1. in the scopes "monkey trial" of 1925, clarence darrow defended a teacher accused of teaching evolution in the classroom. william jennings bryan was the prosecutor......which side won?
2. film star robert blake was tried for the murder of his wife, bonnie lee bakley; how did it turn out?
3. there were 500 jurors; the charges were impiety and corruption of youth. the jury's vote of "guilty" was close: 280-220. but in the penalty phase, the vote for death was 360-140. whose trial was it?
a. joan of arc
c. john peter zenger
4. mark the following "c" for convicted and "a" for acquitted. (which in this case means mis-trial, case thrown out.... any outcome that allowed the accused to walk)
a. lizzie borden (murder)
b. bruno hauptmann (murder)
c. aaron burr (treason)
d. aimee semple mcpherson (faked her own kidnapping)
5. joan of arc escaped the stake in her trial, but soon after was accused of being a "relapsed" heretic. and burned at the stake. what was the charge that got her burnt?
a. presuming to represent God on the battlefield
b. speaking in tongues
c. wearing male apparel
d. criticizing the pope
6. in 1873, susan b. anthony went on trial, was found guilty and fined the enormous sum of $100; what was the offense?
1. the prosecution won- scopes was found guilty.
2. he was found not guilty in the criminal trail, but found liable in a civil trial.
5. wearing male apparel
6. illegally voting in in an election (women did not yet have the vote)
Bad men need nothing more to accomplish their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.
― John Stuart Mill