Superstitious?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smoke king

Sous Chef
Who's Superstitious here? While Mrs & I were in LV last week, I was floored when she threw my hat on the bed!! Since I was little, a hat on the bed has always meant bad luck-if your inclined to believe in that sort of thing-but I was astounded when she said she'd never heard of it!

Anybody else ever hear of this-or am I the only one? What about other weird "superstitions" anyone have any?

Just for the record, we didn't win any $$ after that, but in all fairness, I doubt we would have anyway!!:LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
:) Not really superstitious but I firmly believe in what gos around comes around you know, Karma. I hate when someone sends me an Email chain letter where you are supposed to forward to at least 7 People so you can have good things happen to you if not something bad might happen. I never participate in those and despise getting them.

My grandmother said them all including a hat on the bed, can't pass on the stairs, sweep with the light off, don't sit in a rocking chair if it was rocking without anyone in it, don't walk under a ladder and I could just go on and on.

Luckily none of it rubbed off on me. Of course, now that I think of it, I don't have very good luck!

I don't really consider myself to be "superstitious" either- I have my own "methods" for dealing with them.

I was more curious as to the "oddball" ones (apparently like a hat on a bed) that anyone has ever heard of, and of course, their origins.

My grandmother said them all including a hat on the bed, can't pass on the stairs, sweep with the light off, don't sit in a rocking chair if it was rocking without anyone in it, don't walk under a ladder and I could just go on and on.

Thank you Elaine! I knew I wasn't the only one!!:clap:

Not that it matters, but what was that thing about sweeping with the light off?:LOL:

She would always shut the light off before she swept. I guess it's the usual bad luck if you don't thing.

She also had to get out of bed the same side she got in. She did lived until she was 94 so maybe there was something to it!!!!

I was waiting to be the 13th poster :LOL:

I am not superstitious. I have never heard of the hat on the bed thing or the lights off and sweeping thing.

no... but I know a lot of people in Mexico are so... while there I never put my purse on the floor it really makes them flip out!

It is interesting how some superstitions get started though. I read that some people many years ago were unhappy that their servants were breaking so many mirrors, so they told them that it was bad luck to break mirrors. The servants apparently were superstitous and starting being more careful. I don't know if that is true, but I read it a few months ago.

:)Barbara

When I was learning to fly an airplane I soloed on Friday the thirteenth. Since I worked construction back then, I just may have walked under a ladder, too. :LOL:

I once worked at our county jail as a cook and we had one inmate that would go berserk if some one would put their hat on his bed and then go through all kind of motions and rituals before he would sit down

Back
Top Bottom