Taco Bell making taco shells from a Dorito

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caslon

Executive Chef
Ok, time for god to come down and close up shop.

I'm sorry people

Taco Bell is spending the most promotion money they ever spent on a new menu item.

The Dorito taco shell.

Their burrito with some crushed up Doritos tossed in was their last attempt at making you eat Doritos.

I like some of their food, but jeeze

Last edited:
I have never been fond of the flour tortilla. At least the corn ones have some flavor. And adding another layer of flavor to the corn tortilla can't be that bad. I had a bean something or other once at Taco Bell. It was flat with almost no filling, and with the flour tortilla. Sure kept me from ever going there again. :(

I have never been fond of the flour tortilla. At least the corn ones have some flavor. And adding another layer of flavor to the corn tortilla can't be that bad. I had a bean something or other once at Taco Bell. It was flat with almost no filling, and with the flour tortilla. Sure kept me from ever going there again. :(

Taco Bell is Taco Bell...I buy food from there. I like some of it. It's cheap fare.

But, lol...making a taco shell outta a Dorito chip. :ROFLMAO:

Stupid me...it had to happen.

Taco Bell is not exactly the place you eat at in order to make good food decisions. There's a reason why they advertise after all the real restaurants have closed. They know you're tired, maybe drunk or high, and have no other options. It's not surprising that they're serving Dorito shells.

I guess I'm missing the reason for renewed outrage.

A regular taco shell is a deep fried corn tortilla. A Dorito is a deep fried corn tortilla flavored with cheese.

While I'm not a big fan of Taco Bell and won't eat there since I got sick one time, this sounds reasonable.

There is a Taco Bell across the parking lot from the Petco where we do adoptions on the week-ends. I go there for sodas on occasion. If I'm craving Mexican food there's a Mexican seafood restaurant two doors down from Petco that does take-out.

A regular taco shell is a deep fried corn tortilla. A Dorito is a deep fried corn tortilla flavored with cheese.
A regular taco shell should contain three ingredients: corn, water, salt. Four ingredients, if you include the oil they're fried in.

This is what's in Doritos:
whole corn, vegetable oil (corn, soybean, and/or sunflower oil), salt, cheddar cheese (milk, cheese cultures, salt, enzymes), maltodextrin, wheat flour, whey, monosodium glutamate, buttermilk solids, romano cheese (part skim cow's milk, cheese cultures, salt, enzymes), whey protein concentrate, onion powder, partially hydrogenated soybean and cottonseed oil, corn flour, disodium phosphate, lactose, natural and artificial flavor, dextrose, tomato powder, spices, lactic acid, artificial color (including Yellow 6, Yellow 5, Red 40), citric acid, sugar, garlic powder, red and green bell pepper powder, sodium caseinate, disodium inosinate, disodium guanylate, nonfat milk solids, whey protein isolate, corn syrup solids.

The Onion's take:
Doritos Celebrates One Millionth Ingredient | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

A regular taco shell should contain three ingredients: corn, water, salt. Four ingredients, if you include the oil they're fried in.

This is what's in Doritos:
whole corn, vegetable oil (corn, soybean, and/or sunflower oil), salt, cheddar cheese (milk, cheese cultures, salt, enzymes), maltodextrin, wheat flour, whey, monosodium glutamate, buttermilk solids, romano cheese (part skim cow's milk, cheese cultures, salt, enzymes), whey protein concentrate, onion powder, partially hydrogenated soybean and cottonseed oil, corn flour, disodium phosphate, lactose, natural and artificial flavor, dextrose, tomato powder, spices, lactic acid, artificial color (including Yellow 6, Yellow 5, Red 40), citric acid, sugar, garlic powder, red and green bell pepper powder, sodium caseinate, disodium inosinate, disodium guanylate, nonfat milk solids, whey protein isolate, corn syrup solids.

The Onion's take:
Doritos Celebrates One Millionth Ingredient | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

Well, if they didn't contain disodium phosphate, I would never eat them. I put that in all my food. ;)

Comparing Taco Bell products against each other:
Taco Bell Doritos Locos Taco Shell

Whole Corn, Vegetable Oil (Sunflower, Canola, Corn, and/or Soybean Oil), and Less Than 2% of the Following: Corn Flour, Maltodextrin (Made From Corn), Wheat Flour, Salt, Cheddar Cheese (Milk, Cheese Cultures, Salt, Enzymes), Whey, Monosodium Glutamate, Buttermilk, Romano Cheese (Part-Skim Cow's Milk, Cheese Cultures, Salt, Enzymes), Whey Protein Concentrate, Onion Powder, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean and Cottonseed Oil, Corn Flour, Natural and Artificial Flavor, Dextrose, Tomato Powder, Lactose, Spices, Artificial Color (Including Yellow 5 Lake, Yellow 6 Lake, Red 40 Lake, Yellow 6, Yellow 5, Red 40), Lactic Acid, Citric Acid, Sugar, Garlic Powder, Skim Milk, Whey Protein Isolate, Corn Syrup Solids, Red and Green Bell Pepper Powder, Sodium Caseinate, Disodium Inosinate, Disodium Guanylate, TBHQ (Preservative). CONTAINS: MILK, WHEAT

Taco Bell Taco Shell

Ground Corn treated with Lime, Water, Vegetable Oil (Contains One Or More Of The Following: Soybean Oil, Corn Oil) With TBHQ And Citric Acid Added As Preservative, Oat Fiber. Corn, Vegetable Oil (May Contain One Or All Of The Following: Soybean Oil, Corn Oil, Or Cottonseed Oil), Oat Fiber, TBHQ (Used As A Preservative). *Will Contain One Of The Ingredient Statements Above, Depending Upon Regional Suppliers

If one of these is OK the other can't be considered all that much worse.

People, it's Taco Bell not the Frontera Grill.

Taco Bell is Taco Bell...I buy food from there. I like some of it. It's cheap fare.

But, lol...making a taco shell outta a Dorito chip. :ROFLMAO:

Stupid me...it had to happen.

Many, many Dorito chips. To me, it would be like eating a whole bag of compressed salty chips. Not for me. Their 'smartest' food menu item, imo, was the 3 different fish tacos. I do have a copycat recipe for their Mexican Pizza. Tried it once when I worked across the street from a TB, & needed a quick lunch. Not too shabby.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom