Talk about being put on the spot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
This doesn't really fit in any other category as it isn't really a question, but it does concern food and cooking and if anyone wants to say anything, or not, feel free ;)

A while back I mentioned my neighbor getting a whiff of me searing some country style ribs on the grill. So after I was finished cooking them in my pressure cooker, I took him over a couple. He and his wife raved and said they would just bring me their ribs from now on (I had taken them some baby backs over Christmas that they liked, too). I said yeah, anytime.

Then last week I think it was, just for the heck of it I tried to see how many ribs I could cook in my PC. There was a topic on that I started. They came out great, but all the extra ribs apparently caused the cooking juice to rise in the cooker and they didn't have quite that texture I was looking for when they cook above the liquid after a good sear.

So today over comes my neighbor with a "boatload" of country style ribs his wife had just boughten and told me to cook them when I get the chance.... whatever that means.... they weren't frozen, so I'm thinking "the chance" would be better sooner than later. I'm shootin' for Sunday, as he'll be home and I don't really want to get these going tomorrow. Reason being; I'll need to find an alternative cooking method for 3/4 of them. So tomorrow I will be trying my alternative cooking method that I haven't quite figured out yet :wacko: I'll thaw out a couple of my own that I just froze for the trial.

Sunday I will take what I can and cook them as before, well seasoned, seared, some kind of broth and BBQ sauce in the PC, but not as much liquid as last time. I think that batch will come out well enough, or at the least like they did last week, which was just fine.
The others I will have to cook based on tomorrow's ribs, which will kind of be a variance of that 2-2-1 method I used on some short ribs last winter, but shortened up some. I will season them like I do with the others and cook them over indirect with some hickory chips off to the side, but for just an hour. Then I will wrap them in foil with some Dr Pepper which seemed to work very well for the short ribs and cook for 1-1/2 hours, also indirect. Then uncover, sauce them up and put them over a flame to get a nice BBQ glaze on them and some color. That's what I'm starting with anyway. I may change things up come Sunday.

I just can't believe they gave me this many to cook. I don't mind and it'll be kinda fun, if they come out that is...., but it's a bit of a stretch from what I'm used to, especially because I can't cook them all the same way, the way they already had and liked. Not unless I buy 3-4 more pressure cookers :wacko:

So my weekend is planned :LOL:

Sure, send it over smoke king :LOL:

Oh I don't think so, LC. I offered in the first place, he's always doing stuff for me where he works on his own time (just a couple weeks ago as a matter of fact) and I'll bet they ask me to sit down with them. Which may be the reason for all these ribs.

Do they have a crock pot?? Get two pots going...at their house...teach them how...They furnish the beer.........

Have Fun!
:) I agree. Tell them you would be more than happy to show them how to make them since you wont always be able to make them for them etc. They better invite you to eat. When I get caught in doing things like that I make it a joke and say something like.Ok, now this all you get or I will either have to charge you or open a rib shop and I REALLY don't want to work THAT hard so why don't I teach you instead? That way you can make em anytime you want.

Pacanis, you are truly one of the nice guys out there-they are gettin few and far between.

Good Karma to you-

Pacanis, you are truly one of the nice guys out there-they are gettin few and far between.

Good Karma to you-

Thanks. I appreciate that comment. I was beginning to think that I was being taken advantage of, even though I will enjoy what I'm doing and my neighbor and I exchange favors all the time. Not that a little trepidation won't be in my thoughts as I'm doing this, but I'm sure the same thoughts run through my friend's mind as he's doing something I ask of him.
I kinda like the challenge and was even thinking of making slaw :)

Nice deed Pacanis!! I think your neighbours may just not realise quite what they were asking of you with the amount they gave you. Just tell them that the results are better in smaller batches. It happens to me too, not with cooking (I don't offer!! LOL) but with other things. Normally it is just a lack of knowledge, not an abuse of the offer.

Wow, not thats what I call be neighborly!! Won't you be MY neighbor??;)
I really really really hope they DO invite you to join them, because that would just be awkward!
Good luck on them coming out to your liking, I can imagine the "Pressure" LoL get it... pressure.....anyways, good luck!

Yea, they just don't realize that you can't do that many at one time. You could ask them if they need them all at once. If they don't then tell them you will freeze the remainder and do them when needed, given a couple days advance warning.

Yea, what smoke king said! :-p:LOL:

strange behavior

i would make the ribs as best as i could this time. who knows, they may have something cool in return. they could be that generous. if they just consume them and only invite you to join them for dinner, that would be a red flag, they are just assuming you love to cook so much that it is fun for you and less work for them.
if the latter is the case there is still no reason to make enemies with them or be rude. just wait until they dump another huge task on you. do what you want with what is given. when they come by to collect their bounty simply infom them another nieghbor smelled the cooking, came over with some friends and ate it all up. of course they would understand being so generous and all.;)

good luck pac.

what about getting a large stock pot and jsut doing the slow simmer when you have that many ribs? Thats usually what I do. and then I sear them on the grill later.

I want to stick with two methods I am at least a little familiar with ghetto, but thanks for the suggestion.
This will be good practice on someone else's food :LOL:

ok pacanis - you know that cute little house down the street? The one that's for sale...been on the market for awhile????? Well, we've gotten together and bought it. We'll all be settled in no time. One small problem...the kitchen had to be turned into a bedroom/bathroom combo (you know - we NEEDED an extra one with what, 15 of us moving in) so we won't be able to cook. I suggest you get a couple more pressure cookers...you may as well be ready. Might as well get a couple more crockpots too!

Hey, I would do it too and I would love doing it...I've done it...especially when smoking something.

lol, OK, when the porch light goes on, the food's ready.
Bring your own plate.

Back
Top Bottom