"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-01-2011, 03:05 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 25,783
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
My stuff arrived at my home on Wednesday 2011-03-30. The movers were great. They were efficient and very careful with my stuff. They measured the front door and agreed that it had to come in through the patio doors in back. They took off the patio doors and put them back on without making me nervous. They didn't scratch anything.

Here's a picture of the infamous antique table. Until I buy a table protector, I'm not taking the plastic off. It's our dining table.



Amongst the things in that shipment were some Copco, enamelled, CI pans: two under the table and skillet and saucepan on top. The skillet is completely unused, still has instructions glued to the bottom, and it is so old that the bottom is enamelled. They only did that until some time in the early '70s.

I also got a eight sets of this sterling flatware. It's from Georg Jensen and the pattern is Acorn (Konge in Danish). I also got a gravy ladle and two serving spoons.



I don't know if my mum ever used it. She bought 16 sets to leave to me and my sister.

There were also lots of photos. I'll deal with them after tax season. If I start looking now, I won't get any work done.

Here's a link to photos of other stuff from the shipment: https://picasaweb.google.com/taxlady...eat=directlink
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 05:38 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 13,466
Very nice to have those memories. I like the table. And, nice to know the movers were as careful with them as if the stuff was their own.
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:58 PM   #23
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 38,765
That table is beautiful. All of it is beautiful!

My MIL promised me her silver flatware, it is all very nice. My step Daughter doesn't want it and I think it should stay in the family...so now it is up to any Grand Daughters In Law that I may have in the future.
__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:24 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 25,783
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
That table is beautiful. All of it is beautiful!

My MIL promised me her silver flatware, it is all very nice. My step Daughter doesn't want it and I think it should stay in the family...so now it is up to any Grand Daughters In Law that I may have in the future.
Thank you. I think so too. I have loved that table since I was little. We always figured it was the thing to get under, if there was an earthquake (I grew up on SoCal). That table should have water miles. It's been across the Atlantic three times.

Your step daughter may want the silver flatware when she gets older. When I was 25 I would have said, "What do I want that for?" I wouldn't have chosen that Acorn pattern, but it's growing on me.

I would like to use it for everyday, so I googled putting silver in the dishwasher. Apparently, with some caveats, you can. But, one site wrote, "Of course you can put your silver flatware in the dishwasher, but should you? If you had a Bently, you could take it through the carwash at the gas station, but would you?"

That one got me. I used to be part of a car detailing forum and I care about the finish on a nice car. So, no it won't be going in the dishwasher on a regular basis.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:37 PM   #25
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 38,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Thank you. I think so too. I have loved that table since I was little. We always figured it was the thing to get under, if there was an earthquake (I grew up on SoCal). That table should have water miles. It's been across the Atlantic three times.

Your step daughter may want the silver flatware when she gets older. When I was 25 I would have said, "What do I want that for?" I wouldn't have chosen that Acorn pattern, but it's growing on me.

I would like to use it for everyday, so I googled putting silver in the dishwasher. Apparently, with some caveats, you can. But, one site wrote, "Of course you can put your silver flatware in the dishwasher, but should you? If you had a Bently, you could take it through the carwash at the gas station, but would you?"

That one got me. I used to be part of a car detailing forum and I care about the finish on a nice car. So, no it won't be going in the dishwasher on a regular basis.

The Step Daughter is in her late 30's, there's about 11 years difference in our ages. I have old kids!
__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 01:23 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 14,783
I loved looking at all your treasures TL and glad you have them all safe and sound now. That table is wonderful and you're so right about earthquakes. We had one much like it but I have no idea what became of it. Where in So. Cal. did you grow up? I'm in Ventura, just south of Santa Barbara.
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:08 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 25,783
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I loved looking at all your treasures TL and glad you have them all safe and sound now. That table is wonderful and you're so right about earthquakes. We had one much like it but I have no idea what became of it. Where in So. Cal. did you grow up? I'm in Ventura, just south of Santa Barbara.
I grew up in the San Fernando Valley: Reseda and then Canoga Park.

The great thing about my "treasures" is that they remind me of my mum. Even though she probably never used that silver flatware set, it's a warm thought that she bought it for me and my sister.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:22 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 25,783
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
What would you guys use this crystal carafe for? It looks like it would hold a 750 ml bottle of wine. I have never had a fancy carafe before.

__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:31 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,456
That's beautiful, TL. I'd display it with something fancy and expensive like Grand Marnier.
__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:43 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 25,783
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
That's beautiful, TL. I'd display it with something fancy and expensive like Grand Marnier.
I would love to, but it isn't safe to leave liquids in lead crystal for even two days. The lead leaches into the liquid. Longer storage makes it worse.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:49 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 14,783
or a fine Brandy. I wouldn't use it for wine TL, you could have some staining issues with red wine especially.

Do you know what your Mom used it for, or where it came from?

Whoops, we must have been posting at the same time, TL
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:21 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,456
I didn't realize it was lead crystal. If it were mine, I'd probably just set it in a sunny place empty. It should make pretty rainbows. You could put something in it, but if lead is going to leach into it, I'd worry that someone might try to drink it.
__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:57 PM   #33
Head Chef
 
tinlizzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 2,008
The table is certainly a beauty. And I meant to say earlier that I love the glass pieces with etched sailing ships, especially the green one. It never occurred to me that lead crystal would be dangerous; lead paint, sure, but d'oh I didn't put 2 & 2 together. So might that account for some of the English eccentrics of days gone by? If I remember correctly, the Mad Hatter and his brothers sprang from the mercury they used to use in making hats.
__________________
No matter how simple it seems, it's complicated.
tinlizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:13 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 25,783
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
or a fine Brandy. I wouldn't use it for wine TL, you could have some staining issues with red wine especially.

Do you know what your Mom used it for, or where it came from?

Whoops, we must have been posting at the same time, TL
I think she used it for wine or dessert wine. She may have used it for liqueur or brandy, because years ago, we didn't know you aren't supposed to leave stuff in lead crystal.

I hadn't thought of the staining possibility. It shouldn't unless it has calcium or other hard water deposits. Calcium deposits are a distinct possibility, since it was in Denmark.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:25 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 25,783
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
The table is certainly a beauty. And I meant to say earlier that I love the glass pieces with etched sailing ships, especially the green one. It never occurred to me that lead crystal would be dangerous; lead paint, sure, but d'oh I didn't put 2 & 2 together. So might that account for some of the English eccentrics of days gone by? If I remember correctly, the Mad Hatter and his brothers sprang from the mercury they used to use in making hats.
I think it might account for eccentricities. They tested brandy that had been stored in lead crystal for five years and the amount of lead in the brandy was mind boggling.

Lead glass - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The green, glass vase has a picture of a Swedish sailing ship, Calmare Nyckel (Dutch built). It was one of two ships that brought Swedish colonists to New Sweden (along the Delaware River) from 1638-1655.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:56 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 14,783
Holy cow, TL!! I had idea no idea about the dangers of lead crystal decanters before today, and I thought I was reasonably well informed.
The link you left is really shocking, and an eye opener. I have a beautiful lead crystal decanter in my hutch that has been filled with a fine and frightfully expensive Brandy. It's been there for years, and there's really nothing left to do but pour it down the drain. Sob.

As for the possible mineral deposits in your decanter, I've had good luck with warm white vinegar left in overnight, add raw rice to it the next day, and shake like crazy. It will work wonders.
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:35 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 25,783
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Holy cow, TL!! I had idea no idea about the dangers of lead crystal decanters before today, and I thought I was reasonably well informed.
The link you left is really shocking, and an eye opener. I have a beautiful lead crystal decanter in my hutch that has been filled with a fine and frightfully expensive Brandy. It's been there for years, and there's really nothing left to do but pour it down the drain. Sob.

As for the possible mineral deposits in your decanter, I've had good luck with warm white vinegar left in overnight, add raw rice to it the next day, and shake like crazy. It will work wonders.
Oh no! I'm sorry about the really good brandy But, at least your decanter should leach less lead now. Hey, is that the first time you have stored stuff in that decanter for a long time? Did you see the part where they said that the amount of leaching goes down with use? Makes sense. The danged lead is already leached out.

I have used white vinegar for hard water/calcium build ups for years. I saw on Antiques Road Show (I think that was the show) that English butlers used to use lead shot and swirl it around, to clean decanters and other narrow mouthed stuff. Raw rice sounds much gentler. Thanks for the tip.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:18 PM   #38
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Richmond, Va
Posts: 1,313
I'd be careful of leaving that plastic on the tabletop for very long. Plastic will hold moisture in as well as out.
Bigjim68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:32 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 25,783
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim68 View Post
I'd be careful of leaving that plastic on the tabletop for very long. Plastic will hold moisture in as well as out.
Good point. I just want to make sure the table is protected when we eat at the table and I'm not well enough to go shopping at the moment.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:22 AM   #40
Executive Chef
 
Bolas De Fraile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,191
Good morning Tax mate, I read all your posts it is allways a great feeling for me to get into my own bed after a trip but after your probs it must have been extra sweet, I found it very hard going through my Dads things.
The green enameled fork is superb, I used to collect crystal, I use denture cleaning tablets and warm water to clean the inside of decanters, I think your piece is a Ships port decanter, uses I go with Zhizara.
Tinlizzie that explains me to a T
__________________
I was married by a judge, I should have asked for a jury.
Bolas De Fraile is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.