Teeth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
How many of you take proper care of your teeth? Yesterday, I had to go to get my 6 month check up plus x rays. Everything was fine. I almost jump out of the chair when they give me these results.

However, when I first going to the dentist, he found many cavities. They were filled with something they tell me was mercury. Reading in these health books they say that this can 'leak' into the system. I was reluctant to question the dentist about it as I always feel concerned about time. (Fact, one guy said he was late for another appointment and couldn't keep his appointment with dentist. Left and when he did looked at me like it was my fault. Bad enough I have to get to the office by driving and having people give me bad looks. Much less experience this in the dentist office.) My question to you is, how do you feel about the fillings you have and this substance mercury?

I just wonder about all these reports. Even the water is in question. My brother told me yesterday that he heard one day water will be as expensive as gas! I asked him if he was serious as he likes to play mind games, but he said that it what they say. Lot of things he does tell me have been coming true. For instance, he told me some years back about the earthquakes and he was truthful there. Can't believe that we have had two in past month. That is another topic someday I would like to ask about.

Thanks for your time and opinion. Hope you all take care of your teeth. The dentist told me my brother has abscess and has to have pulled and replaced with two false ones. That wasn't good news.

Ugh.

I just recently went to the dentist after umpteen years - lol. The good news is there were no cavities, but the plaque buildup was nasty. I'm going for my second deep cleaning tomorrow, then I'll be scheduled every 6th months for a cleaning. Plaque deteriorates the bone that holds your teeth in. So down the road your teeth will fall out. Mine are bad for my age, but I'll be fine as long as I take care of them from now on.

Mercury is very dangerous and needs to be replaced if you have fillings that still use it. Mercury poisoning can cause a lot of problems up to and including death. I do not think the amount they use in your mouth will do any harm at that level, but it is still not the best thing in the world to have in your mouth. They have safe alternatives these days and the bonus is that they look better than metal fillings.

I take good care of my teeth. My moths has worked in dental offices since I was young and I also have a close friend who just became a hygienist. I would get yelled at by both of them if I did not take good care of my teeth.

Something that not a lot of people know is that plaque on your teeth can affect your heart and become plaque in your arteries. Scary, but true so brush and floss those teeth.

very tooth conscious. see dentist every 6 months and periodontist every 6 months so in the chair every 3 months. also got braces right now to correct a bite problem that was occurring. I'm keeping my teeth!

Many of the properties of mercury in fillings is changed by the amalgam. Certainly if the filling is chipped or cracked it needs replacing for many reasons, but if it is solid it is safe.

Last edited:
Intelligent

Boy you people are sure intelligent. My mother always always said, people who ignore their teeth are just plain dumb! She admitted she had no choice but to give her teeth up after having so many kids and no money to pay for taking care of her teeth. She always carried her false teeth in her apron and said she hoped I would never have to do that. She always resented someone who would rather spend their money on clothes, house or other things that were not important. She felt kids and food were necessities that came first, ALWAYS.

I just wonder since you are talking about plaque buildup on the teeth, do you think that when I came home from the dentist, I got so very tired and could hardly complete the dinner I planned. I didn't even get the dishes finished last night had to finish them this morning.

Aren't you thankful GB that so many people are taking care of your teeth? When you have someone in family who has t hat kind of background consider it a blessing.

My one brother with abscess is just opposite of other brother who has only but one filling in his whole mouth. Most time i see him he has floss in his mouth. He truly values his body but other brother just wants his body to value him. How two guys can be so opposite you just wonder how that works? I think the plan is for them to accept each other no matter how different they are. We all have to do that to one another. Try to accept even if they don't think we are so smart.

Thanks all of you for your input. Just please take care of your teeth and I am sure your mothers will all be happy. May you never have to keep your teeth in your pocket!

I never used to floss. Well that is not true. I would floss for about a week or so after each dentist visit, but then would forget and get lazy and stop. There was one time that I did not forget or get lazy though and flossed every day until my next appointment. That was the quickest easiest pain free dental appointment I ever had. Ever since then I have flossed almost every day.

Good for YOU GB

Proud of you GB! You are so wise and oh so young! Hearing the dentist give you positive results is like winning lottery. My mother would say, that young man has money in the bank. and she wasn't kidding. Costs today are getting out of reach and to have replacement for your teeth is out of my price range. My brother has Blue Cross Blue Shield otherwise he would not be able to afford all this 'replacement' cost. I was surprised when someone on tv talks about flossing. I think they don't want the dentists to come down on them for losing business by talking about flossing.

GB after you floss do you notice that when the hygienist scraps and flosses and whatever else, your gums do not bleed? I noticed this last visit no bleeding. My ex husband never listened to me about going to dentist. He developed pyorrhea disease of the mouth. Then his dentist told him to tell me to go find out if I had it! When you are married to a wooden head, no telling what you have to go through. Having his gums lanced or whatever to have it taken care of I am sure wasn't pleasant.

I am just going to tell you family secret: My ex husband's uncle was a chef. When he lost his teeth while he was young man, he always complained about his false teeth that it interfered with his eating and he didn't enjoy preparing or fixing meals anymore. Well, he did away with himself and all because of those false teeth. Today, they say they are greatly improved but who wants to take a chance that you will have teeth as good as the ones God gave you.

Keep it up GB. Always knew you were one smart man. Instill this on your babies too. Start early and it will not be effort just matter of fact to brush their teeth. Can't stress it enough to take of what you got! Hope they remain strong and healthy the way you want them to. Give them the best.

GB after you floss do you notice that when the hygienist scraps and flosses and whatever else, your gums do not bleed?
Yes I do notice that. What I also notice is that it does not hurt when she scrapes if I have been flossing regularly. It really is worth it.

just a heads up----if you have a mitral valve problem (I have a benign mitral valve prolapse) you need to tell your dentist....most will prescribe you an antibiotic to take one hour before they clean your teeth or anything invasive like drilling......bacteria can possibly travel to your heart....you don't want to forget at my dentist's office....it's the first thing that they ask you when coming thru the door....did you take your antibiotics....

darn straight, expatty. my wife went through a bunch of dental work last year, and has mitro-valve prolapse. plus, she's allergic to penicillin, so it was especially important that she took her meds before going to the dentist.

i've been a very bad boy and have only gone to the dentist every 5 years or so. :huh:

the last time i went, i had a deep cleaning. it was an experience to say the least. the technician that did the cleaning was a stocky, busty russian woman. she sat me down in the chair, reclined it, then sat kinda behind me, above my head. locking my head into her boobies, i thought this might just work out ok! ;)
but then the stainless steel hooks and scrapers and other medieval implements were jammed into my mouth, killing the entire enjoyment of the dealio. i almost screamed "nyet, nyet".

i really need to go back for another cleaning. i'm hoping to scedule it with a much skinnier, weaker technician. heck, i'll think be ok so long as she's not russian...

Last edited:
My hygienist is Russian too Bucky. It might be a trend since the last time you went. You might be out of luck finding a non Russian one.

funny

buckytom, whenever you post you have a way of making cleaning teeth seem like a comedy. Did you ever apply at SNL? That is what you make me think of when I read your post. This family loves SNL.I hope you will consider going sooner than every 5 years. As we tend to age our mouths probably get less and less productive. Seems our bodies start leaving it up to us to take care of them rather than giving us any kind of definite warning that something is happening. Guess your body figures if you don't take care of it, I will just allow it to happen. I do talk to my body oft en and give t hanks that I can still have my teeth and enjoy the food I do. However, my stomach is messed up due to mental turmoil I experienced with my marriage. never think something is bothering you until your body starts letting you know you went over the line.

Don't know why I feel so thankful that you all are paying attention to your teeth. Only know they are important.

GB you eat apples? One brother claims they do good job of 'cleaning' your teeth. Also said the white on the rind of orange is good too for your teeth. He is always eating the white of the rind. GB, does your family ever talk to you about using salt to clean your teeth? I know it sure is not appealing but has been used long ago. One aunt who died with all her own teeth at 96 took her finger and brushed her teeth with salt on them.

:) I also had a lot of dental work years ago because of neglect as a child. A dentist at a dinner once told me the sonic tooth brushes are the best thing ever for your teeth. They are coming out with better tooth pastes and mouth washes to strengthen and strip the plaque. I hafto admit I am really bad about flossing but if I bleed a little bit brushing my teeth I hit the floss big time. Also getting a good amount of vitamin C helps because some gum diseases are actually a form of scurvy due to not enough C vitamins

Last edited:
darn straight, expatty. my wife went through a bunch of dental work last year, and has mitro-valve prolapse. plus, she's allergic to penicillin, so it was especially important that she took her meds before going to the dentist.

i've been a very bad boy and have only gone to the dentist every 5 years or so. :huh:

the last time i went, i had a deep cleaning. it was an experience to say the least. the technician that did the cleaning was a stocky, busty russian woman. she sat me down in the chair, reclined it, then sat kinda behind me, above my head. locking my head into her boobies, i thought this might just work out ok! ;)
but then the stainless steel hooks and scrapers and other medieval implements were jammed into my mouth, killing the entire enjoyment of the dealio. i almost screamed "nyet, nyet".

i really need to go back for another cleaning. i'm hoping to scedule it with a much skinnier, weaker technician. heck, i'll think be ok so long as she's not russian...

LMBO!!!!!:ROFLMAO:

dog's teeth

Now i have to have my dogs teeth taken care of. How many of you actually brush your dog's teeth? do cats have to have their teeth brushed and cleaned too? The brush and paste in the pet store cost as much as what I have to pay for my own brush and paste. This isn't stupid to take care of their teeth as well. Once they are without them they want to give up too. My 13 year old still has his teeth. He lets me know too when I want to tease him with the food. He isn't dumb knows I am only playing. This is the one who is having acupuncture done and his sight and hearing have gone again. Kind of cruel this acupuncture, gives you sight and hearing but then gone with next injection. Kind of cruel don't you think? Never ever thought someone would caution me about the dogs teeth!

AS long as you keep your teeth cleaned is what is most important.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom