Temporary cooking situation - appliance?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sam111

Cook
I maybe temporarily working for a company that I will need to stay at a hotel.
I am alright with that fact... but it may not have a cooking oven/refrigerator/cooking appliances in my room where I am going to have to stay. ( am not alright with this unless I have a means to get portable equivalents)

I am considering in this case to buy a small mini refrigerator , microwave for the hotel temporarily. This is normally not a big expense on my end and they are all pretty much portable i.e. plug into an electrical outlet. But when it comes to cooking my meals is there any portable ovens that I can uses to sauté vegetables , cook meats , boil water for rice/pasta , bake potato's...etc that are reasonable inexpensive. I know I can get a microwave for less then a hundred and the mini refrigerators where pretty cheap as well. I have my own utensils/plates/pots/pans....etc I can bring. So the only troubling concern is a equivalent for an oven. Is there any portable ovens that are decent in efficiency in cooking/boiling things in a reasonable amount of time?

Basically I won't eat out all the time I need to cook my meals. Since I am very picky about what I eat long term. Since I am very big on nutritional health and like to cook my own cooked meals 90% of the time.

Any suggestions I don't think the hotel will allow me to buy an electric oven and install it in there hotel but I will ask this. But I don't think they would mind a small electrical counter top / mini toaster oven being move into the hotel temporarily. Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The situation is the job is to close/duration to short to relocate yet to far to be a burden on the drive everyday. So the other option is cooking all the meals at my home for the next work week then come home on weekends and repeating for the next weeks meals.
Though I would like the option to have the ability to cook where every I am located as well as buy good food to cook where every I am located.

Thanks for any help on this one

Last edited:
How about an electric skillet? It's small, portable and you can make one dish meals.

how will I boil water , and bake. As for sauté and cooking burgers that may work. Though I eat a lot so it would have to also be able to cook a lot of food reasonable fast. Chicken I usually cook in the oven , and I like to eat a lot of pasta , rice , and sauté vegetables

The 2 things I am very pick about is my food and a good place to exercise with a lot of heavy weights / all the equipment to do all your body parts.

Last edited:
Many hotels have kitchenette options. Have you looked into that? I would think the hotel's insurance would not allow personal appliances in the rooms unless they were specifically designed for that. Could be a fire hazard.

In general this shouldn't be a problem but you might think about it from management's point of view in terms of fire safety. Somewhat like colleges and universities view dorm room cooking.

However, the electric skillet could be a great tool. You could saute in it, boil foods, bake, make sandwiches, toast breads, etc. It's quite versatile and requires, for the most part, that you are always near it to tend to it, which would lower the risk of accidental fire issues.

Another way to look at the situation is to work below the radar and not say anything to anyone. Make sure your cooking appliance/tool is safely out of view when the hotel staff is in your space cleaning, etc.

Sometimes it's better to do something without asking first and answer questions later. Much like, act now and ask for forgiveness after the act is discovered.

Many hotels have kitchenette options. Have you looked into that? I would think the hotel's insurance would not allow personal appliances in the rooms unless they were specifically designed for that.

What is kitchenette?

As for weather they would let me bring in kitchen appliances because of safety issues... I don't think a electric skillet or any other appliance if unplugged after usage is going to be much of a hazard. But I will have to ask because they will pretty much see me rolling in a mini refrigerator so before I buy one I want to know for sure I can bring it or then this will be a mess.

Last edited:
What is kitchenette?

As for weather they would let me bring in kitchen appliances because of safety issues... I don't think a electric skillet or any other appliance if unplugged after usage is going to be much of a hazard. But I will have to ask because they will pretty much see me rolling in a mini refrigerator so before I buy one I want to know for sure I can bring it or then this will be a mess.

A kitchenette is like a mini kitchen. Usually a very small refrigerator and an equally small stove, a sink. A bit of counter space. Check to see if the place you are staying has those accommodations.

Mini fridges and microwaves are pretty standard in Country Inns, La Quinta, Holiday Inn Express, etc.

Sometimes the appliances in a kitchenette are full-size. We stayed in a hotel in Germany once with a full-size stove/oven, sink and refrigerator, including pots, pans, utensils and dishes. It was in a sort of closet so you could close it up when it wasn't in use.

re: fire safety, the deciding factor will be the hotel's insurance policy. They can't know how responsible you are, so they can't allow it if their insurance wouldn't cover an accident.

Another thought, many hotels, especially outside of the US, don't have enough electrical outlets. I always take a portable heavy-duty powerstrip when we go to Mexico.

Are you going to be staying at a hotel or motel? Most motels today offer the option of a kitchenette. Hotels no so much.

Get out your yellow pages and start calling the motels in the area you are going to be staying and find out what they offer for rooms. Usually the rates for a room with kitchenette is slightly more in cost. But still cheaper than a hotel. I used to have a neighbor who's husband work construction out of town. He always rented at a motel with a kitchenette. It usually has a two or four burner stove with oven. Small apartment size fridge, sink, coffee maker, counter space and some overhead cabinets for storage of dishes and food. Some even have dishes for two people. They also will provide dishwashing liquid. Any time I have travelled, I always stay at a motel with a kitchenette. And considering it is summer, they all have a pool. I doubt very much if you will find all these amenities in a hotel. And you will be paying more for just a room. And if the company is paying for your hotel, they will appreciate the cheaper rate. :angel:

Last edited:
I see about the insurance issue for them and indirectly me. A kitchenette may do fine. If not good maybe it is still possible for me to cook all my meals on the weekend for the next week at home then store them on my way up in the hotel refrigerator if they offer one. That still maybe an option.
Also I maybe ok with driving a few days and only staying in the hotel for a couple days out of the week to take the Burdon off driving...

As well I am not sure if I use the hotel near by the work place will they always have openings to stay in when I am working for this job. Will I be changing hotel rooms every week or can they setup some type of pay as you go but always have an opening for you 7 days out of the week in the case you need to stay?
Concerned a little bit if I take this job and have to stay at a hotel will it be difficult in constantly paying for it each day can I setup an account with them so when I walk in in a certain day I slide my credit/debit card and they give me my room. And the room can't change since I would have to temporarily store my clothing /work related items
Unless I was going to drive my work related things back in forth each weekend.

As well as curious if most hotels would have a laundry service so I could do laundry.
Though if not I would probably fit it in to the weekend I come down chores. I.E cooking/doing laundry ... though nice to know.

These are all options worth exploring/trying
Anybody that can answer some of these may clear up my question

I may find that I am just going to cook all my meals on the weekend do all my laundry on the weekend... and then just bring everything back and forth each weekend freeing me up to drive only a couple time out of the week long distance.
Though at that point I would have to have a temporary storage method for my cooked food (i.e time between refrigerator transfers so it doesn't go bad)
if I am driving to work from my home on Monday with all the food...

Last edited:
Yellow pages, Addie? How 20th century! ;)

sam, here's a link for searching for extended-stay hotels, which include kitchens or kitchenettes. I'd start here to look for a place near your destination, then call the hotels or check their websites regarding their reservation policies: Extended-Stay Hotels

Sam, with many motels/hotels, they will do your laundry (you pay for it), there is usually a plastic bag for laundry that has a checklist, and many places have facilities where you can do it yourself.

I would pack a big cooler if you are going to transport food, freeze some bottled water to keep it cold, throw in a bag of ice too. You can drink the bottled water as it thaws.

You give them your credit card, they charge it for however many days you're there. You don't pay day-by-day.

Last edited:
I lived in hotels continuously for 13 years - literally "out of a suitcase".

I had a mini-fridge, mini-microwave, and for stovetop cooking, I used one of these:
Amazon.com: Aroma AHP-312 Double Hot Plate, Black: Kitchen & Dining

I didn't have an oven option, but found I didn't really need it, as there was usually some way to get around it. For example, stews and roasts can be made on the stovetop using a Dutch oven.

I would also caution against cooking odors. The hotel management tends to get a little testy about that. For example, you may want to steer clear of making things like Indian curries.

Last edited:
I don't agree that you should just do it and hope no one notices. If you are preparing meals and baking in your room.The odors will travel and I think other guests and the management may not be happy with it. Try to find a place that has a kitchenette, as suggested. How long will you be there?

One last fundamental looking for locations question

It seems that most sites have different places then others.
So I am curious is there one site or a place / book / internet site that you can type in the location it pops up all the available renting places with in a certain mileage. I know there are sites out there but I always seem to find more options on other sites as well that I didn't have on the original site.

So I am wanting a way to quickly look at all my options not a site that has a lot of options but a site that has all options.... does this exist...

If not then how does the travel agency and relators/estate people keep track of this. I would imagine there should be a site that has all available places for rent or buying. If not then how would the government or economists or building industry keep track of this. It just seems if it was not in a centralized places or not able to be access the data in a centralized way (sort of like the DVM with registered car) then there would be chaos when a relator / traveling agency need to find living quarters for people ....

Apart from that just logic tells me one would want to know all possible housing available... and when builders build one would logically think the contractors or somebody hire up is keeping track of stuff that is being built , where ...etc etc. Make sinces to me. So why have the watered down partial list why not just provide everybody with all options.... even if some options are just affordable by the millionaires.

It would certainly clear up my choices when I think back and say did I really get the best places or could I have found something better

Last edited:
One last fundamental looking for locations question

It seems that most sites have different places then others.
So I am curious is there one site or a place / book / internet site that you can type in the location it pops up all the available renting places with in a certain mileage. I know there are sites out there but I always seem to find more options on other sites as well that I didn't have on the original site.

So I am wanting a way to quickly look at all my options not a site that has a lot of options but a site that has all options.... does this exist...

If not then how does the travel agency and relators/estate people keep track of this. I would imagine there should be a site that has all available places for rent or buying. If not then how would the government or economists or building industry keep track of this. It just seems if it was not in a centralized places or not able to be access the data in a centralized way (sort of like the DVM with registered car) then there would be chaos when a relator / traveling agency need to find living quarters for people ....

Apart from that just logic tells me one would want to know all possible housing available... and when builders build one would logically think the contractors or somebody hire up is keeping track of stuff that is being built , where ...etc etc. Make sinces to me. So why have the watered down partial list why not just provide everybody with all options.... even if some options are just affordable by the millionaires.

It would certainly clear up my choices when I think back and say did I really get the best places or could I have found something better

Realtors have a MLS, Multiple Service Listings. They know every piece of property that is for sale or rent within the area they serve. Sorry, not available to the public. It is based on commissions earned for the industry.

Contractors that want to build on a certain piece of property, usually go to their local city or town hall and look at what plots of land are empty and who owns them. They then contact the owner to see if it is for sale. Private citizens will use a realty to find a piece of land to build a home on.

So the answer to your questions is that each industry has it own listings and manner of keeping track. For hotels and motels, it is their choice if they chose to be listed with travel agencies.

There is no large central government keeping track. Nor would we want one. Too Big Brother! It is up to each individual town or city and the agencies that are based in those locations to keep track of what is going on in that location.

You have been given some excellent choices here to find a solution to your problem of locating temporary housing that will meet your dietary needs. It is up to you, not the government to make them for you.

The best thing that ever happened to the Internet is Google. It is your next best step you can take. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom