The benefits of Coca-Cola

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

attie

Sous Chef
Today is the day when my good wife is going to try the Coke and Asparagus trick once again.
Some time ago Carol, my wife, became very ill with a large kidney stone blocking off one of her kidneys and almost lost her kidney. Infact she had numerous stones in both kidneys with the largest being 20mm [3/4"] in diameter so, after fourteen months of sound blasting, they had reduced them down to one stone which failed to respond. An operation was in order and arrangements were made for her to travel north to a larger hospital to have this done.
In the mean time an old friend told her about the "Drink 2 litres of coke and eat one can of asparagus over two hours" trick. Being desperate, Carol did this and a week later fronted up to the hospital for her operation. The surgeon was the same doctor who had been treating her all the time and was completely dumfounded to find that the stone was gone, he could see where it had been lodged but it had dissapeared.
Two days before we were due to go on holidays a few weeks back another kidney stone had developed and blocked off one of her kidneys once again. For a quick fix they have pushed it up into her kidney and put a stent in to allow us to have a break and untill the sound blasting treatment can be organised.
So, here's hoping, the magic coke and asparagus trick might work again, we'll see.

Attie, I tell you...those old home remedies have a lot going for them. Send our best to Carol.

Remember when they used to make fun of chicken soup?:cool:

OK, I can see how Coke would dissolve the stone (and pretty much anything in its path) but whats with the asparagus? I can't figure out how that will help. Can you enlighten me?

Coke = Phosphoric acid.
Asparagus = Asparagine (metabolised to aspartic acid and oxalates).
That`s about the only pathway I can see to affect a calcium salt.

Bio isn`t really my area though.
Non the less, I`m pleased everything turned out well :)

EDIT: maybe This: Asparagine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia will be of some use? wiki isn`t a Scientific Resource I know, but the article may point towards further reading?

Last edited:
YT, you are a wealth of knowledge. Thanks so much. (You need to check out LT's trivia threads!)

I`de fall flat on my face if it wasn`t Science based :)

I`ll have a look though, who`s LT?

Luckytrim. Do a search on his name and you will find daily trivia posts. I love 'em.

Sorry to hijack! Back to the science of Coke and asparagus.

the only Really odd thing, is that Calcium Phosphate isn`t Very soluble, in fact a large proportion of our bones are made exactly from that.
if (and I`m guessing here) asparagus works as a purgitive/duiretic, it`s possible that the dissoltion process required is "peed" out before the crystals can reform.

this is Totaly Speculative and not in ANY way above such.

EDIT: I will certainly ask a few of my collegues about this though, and maybe a get a more informative answer :)

Edit2: for the OP, do Not take this "apparent remedy" as a cure, you Must seek Proffesional Medical advice before all else, you probaly already know this, but I would also be remiss if I didn`t say that! :)

Last edited:
I have no idea as to why it worked in the past, but, yesterday was the day Carol did the deed. They will be taking an xray just prior to the treatment so I'll let you know what the outcome is.

Just bringing this thread forward to give you a progress report. Something's happening, Carol has had some sharp twinges lower down over the past couple of days as if the stone is moving. Haven't heard from her surgeon yet as to when he wants to see her again, maybe he might get a surprise.

Back
Top Bottom