The Downton Abbey thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Having seen it here, plus the Christmas special I am going to keep my gob firmly shut ! Keep away from Facebook and Twitter in case of spoilers and don't speak to any strange English blonde women on cooking forums .

Thank you Gravy Queen. I hate people who just have to tell you how the book, movie, story, etc ends. Let me find out for myself. :angel:

I heard an interview with the author, Julian Fellowes, today -- said he is working on Season 4. Yay!

So the questions for this season are:

Will they lose Downton Abby? (Don't think so. Then they would have to change the name of the show.)

Will Bates be found not guilty and finally freed?

Will Thomas finally get his comeuppance?

Will Mathew and Mary begin a family?

Will there be one big clash between Cora's mother and the Dowager Lady?

And what about the maid that had the baby and had to leave service? She showed up at the place for homeless women. What is that all about.

Will the dastardly newpaper mogul expose Mary in his newpapers?

Will the husband from Ireland be banned from the home for being too political and strongly anti-English? Will his English wife finally get fed up and return to Downton Abby without him? Will there be a divorce in the family?

Will the last daughter finally marry her much older gentleman with the bad arm?

And lastly, each week for one hour prior to Downton Abby, there will be a showing of other great English houses that are still functioning showing how they are doing. Including Hampton Court. King Henry's VIII's castle. :angel:

We watch a good deal of tv shows from the UK, so we now understand the accents pretty well and a lot of the slang. It took a while, but I couldn't imagine having to struggle to listen because of a hearing problem. As it is we have to listen fairly close to get it all.

(Caution, this is my sense of humour talking, it is not a rant ;))

Okay, I have to interject here for a moment. I was quite happy in the fact that I had no knowledge of this show, never watched it, didn't know who was in it. It is not that I don't like period pieces, I actually love them. I just didn't have time to get into a new series.

Then my cake community has a hat contest and the two winning cakes were based on Downton Abbey hats. Hmm, a little curious but that is all. Then you guys start talking about it and even get Pac watching it. So, yesterday I looked to see if we get it and found out I can get the first two seasons through Zip - a mail-order video company. We gave up Netflix because they didn't have anything we wanted.

So, I have not said a word to this point to TB and yesterday he comes home from the store with the latest TV magazine with none other than Downton Abbey on the cover, showing what's new for season 3. He thought it was showing the new shows for January.

So, now I have read up on it, and figure I will just head straight into season three and ask you all any questions I might have on the show.:LOL:

So the questions for this season are:

Will they lose Downton Abby? (Don't think so. Then they would have to change the name of the show.)

Will Bates be found not guilty and finally freed?

Will Thomas finally get his comeuppance?

Will Mathew and Mary begin a family?

Will there be one big clash between Cora's mother and the Dowager Lady?

And what about the maid that had the baby and had to leave service? She showed up at the place for homeless women. What is that all about.

Will the dastardly newpaper mogul expose Mary in his newpapers?

Will the husband from Ireland be banned from the home for being too political and strongly anti-English? Will his English wife finally get fed up and return to Downton Abby without him? Will there be a divorce in the family?

Will the last daughter finally marry her much older gentleman with the bad arm?

And lastly, each week for one hour prior to Downton Abby, there will be a showing of other great English houses that are still functioning showing how they are doing. Including Hampton Court. King Henry's VIII's castle. :angel:

If I were a stinker, I'd answer all of those....:angel:

(Caution, this is my sense of humour talking, it is not a rant ;))

Okay, I have to interject here for a moment. I was quite happy in the fact that I had no knowledge of this show, never watched it, didn't know who was in it. It is not that I don't like period pieces, I actually love them. I just didn't have time to get into a new series.

Then my cake community has a hat contest and the two winning cakes were based on Downton Abbey hats. Hmm, a little curious but that is all. Then you guys start talking about it and even get Pac watching it. So, yesterday I looked to see if we get it and found out I can get the first two seasons through Zip - a mail-order video company. We gave up Netflix because they didn't have anything we wanted.

So, I have not said a word to this point to TB and yesterday he comes home from the store with the latest TV magazine with none other than Downton Abbey on the cover, showing what's new for season 3. He thought it was showing the new shows for January.

So, now I have read up on it, and figure I will just head straight into season three and ask you all any questions I might have on the show.:LOL:

Ohhhhhhhh LP........ please treat yourself to seasons 1 and 2 first!! To just start watching season 3 now would be like missing out on the Banquet that is DA. :flowers:

Oh horrors!!! But we all know how sweet your really are, so you won't do that. Besides I will tell Rob on you. :angel:

I can't believe that you remembered his name, either you are a stalker or have a memory like a vault!:D

Oh I would never do that. :) It will be fun seeing how everyone reacts to this season. Like the others I enjoyed this one very much.

Okay, I'm convinced! I will watch the first two seasons and PVR this year's so they are ready! :)

Glad to hear it LP! I was fascinated to learn in the first season just why Robert and Cora were married in the first place with her being an American. The dynamics in those days of those of British Title, and American women of "means" is very interesting indeed. That link is really the whole cornerstone of DA and you would have missed the foundation without it.

Glad to hear it LP! I was fascinated to learn in the first season just why Robert and Cora were married in the first place with her being an American. The dynamics in those days of those of British Title, and American women of "means" is very interesting indeed. That link is really the whole cornerstone of DA and you would have missed the foundation without it.

The Vanderbilt's sold off their daughter Consuela to the Duke of Marborough. And the Churchill Family (as in Winston) needed the money desperately. Those estates are very costly to keep up. Mama got the royal title in her family that she wanted, the Churchills got the money they needed so desperately and the daughter got to be part of the most miserable marriage on record.

Winston's mother Jenny also was sold off to a lesser brother of the Churchhill family. No title involved. And her two sisters were also offered up and married into other estates. :angel:

The Vanderbilt's sold off their daughter Consuela to the Duke of Marborough. And the Churchill Family (as in Winston) needed the money desperately. Those estates are very costly to keep up. Mama got the royal title in her family that she wanted, the Churchills got the money they needed so desperately and the daughter got to be part of the most miserable marriage on record.

Winston's mother Jenny also was sold off to a lesser brother of the Churchhill family. No title involved. And her two sisters were also offered up and married into other estates. :angel:

Addie, I hope those aren't spoilers! ;)

Do get hold of the first 2 series, it will all make better sense. I used to half watch it as my husband liked it ,but I missed the gist of what had happened so I got a boxed set and started from the beginning, so much better, and then of course, you are hooked.......

Not to forget, women could not inherit the estates back then, so the women were married off and in exchange, the husbands got the money. We've come a long way!

Haven't followed this entire thread, but one thing I love about my Friday happy hour group is that a couple are BBC/Masterpiece Theater fans and we discuss this over drinks on Fridays.

I loved it when the new groom chose the Irish rebel to be his best man!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom