The Fridge (3 merged)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

matthew9383

Assistant Cook
im trying to find out what is the average weekly food shopping list is for a family of three or four, if you could tell me your weekly shopping list i.e. 4 apples, 1 pack of sausages, 2 litres of milk etc. i would be extremly grateful, thankyou.
P.S Im collecting as much information as possible on this so the more replies the better, thankyou again.

Last edited:
Hi Matt. Welcome to the group.
There are lots of members with families. One will come around soon and give you an answer.

I do not do my shopping that way. I shop for my family of three on a daily basis. I go to the super market on the way home from the office and pick up what I need that night. occasionally I will do a larger shopping trip, but not often.

I go shopping for what ever is on a good sale and I know I will be using.I usually have a stock pile of items I have got on sale.Weekly Items are usually milk and maybe bread. I keep a shopping list on my fridge and when ever I'm cooking and see I am running low on an item I write it down. Usually I do this far enough ahead that the item will be on sale soon. Works for me.

Okay, you ask for it.
For my family of 4, including me, dh and an 18 year old boy/man and a 20 year old boy/man. The food, isn't the same every week, but, just to give you and idea.

2 gallons of milk
2 boxes of dry cereal
8 chicken breast

2-4 lbs of ground beef or ground turkey {to be used for 2 different meals}
2/ 12 packs of soda
1 case of water bottles
1-2 loaves of bread
large package of lunchmeat or pimento cheese
2 pkg bacon or sausage
2 dozen eggs
have to have at least 8 of whatever fruits I get.
2 pkg hot dog weiners
2-3 bags of chips
large shampoo {usually lasts 2 weeks}
Toilet paper, I get the double roll in a 24 pack, last 2 weeks {LOL we're all full of it!!}
when I get toothpaste, I have to get 3 at a time.
roast has to be at least 3 lbs
8 big pork chops
If I think of anything else, I'll put it in.

I'm afraid we're none too traditional either. We make our list of staples that we're out of or running low, what we want for dinner that night and perhaps the next night as well but once we hit the store let the impulse shopping begin.

We do eat a LOT of Pasta and tomato based meals so tomato products are always in short supply in our household.

What we most often shop for though is: (Family of three adults)

Ground Beef - We buy about 10 pounds a month (on sale), divide it into 1 pound packages, vaccuum seal and freeze it.

Frozen Chicken Breasts - Also about 10 pounds per month. Also purchased on sale.

Canned Tomatoes, Tomato Paste and Tomato Juice.

Onions - I use onions in almost everything I cook so I go through a bag quite quickly.

Milk - About 1/2 gallon a week. My mother is the only one in the house that drinks it. (I can't touch milk though I can eat cheese. Weird)

Cheese - We buy, on average per month, 2 packages of those plastic-wrapped singles (we also do sandwiches fairly often) and a bag of shredded cheddar.

Lunchmeat - Usually deli sliced, low-fat low-sodium ham or Turkey. About 1 pkg/week

C H O C O L A T E - In indeterminate quantities - I live in a house with 2 women.

Bread - We use between 1½ - 2 loaves per week.

Soda - Everyone in the house drinks Soda like it's going out of style. About 2 litres per day.

Unfortuanantly I'm not very divserse in my menu planning and am often at a loss as to what to fix for dinner. Vegitables are usually canned or frozen and purchased as part of a planned menu rather than stored, though when I only need one can of whatever veg. I usually get 2 or 3 to kind of "stock-up".

~ Raven ~

dh is only home for dinner about twice a week, this week only once! I usually do my shopping just before the day I'm making dinner. My shopping list really varies, depending on what we're having. These are things I buy regularly, we usually have all this in our house. I go to Costco about once a month, I buy * every month, everything else just depends on when we run out at home.
Things I buy at Costco
-Chicken Breasts (usually about $20 worth):chicken:
-Ground Beef (though, not often)
-Flank Steak
-Bread*
-Croissants*
-Cheddar Cheese* (2lbs extra sharp, we go through cheese fast!)
-Butter*
-Some Produce, usually apples, avocados and tomatoes*
-Roast Chicken*
-Pork Tenderloin (comes 4 in a package, about $20):pig:

At the grocery store
-Milk (we go through a gallon a week)
-eggs (once a month)
-fruit (whatever is in season, for dh's lunch)
-snacks for Aidan and dh's lunch
-cranberry juice
-frozen hashbrowns
-tortillas

Last but not least, chocolate! We always have good quality chocolate in the house. Recently, we've become addicted to Triple Chocolate Dove Ice Cream Bars. They are to die for.:-p

The Fridge (merged)

[FONT=&quot]Sorry to ask a question so similar to the last one but I also need to know what items are in the fridge that aren’t purchased weekly, i.e. things that might be bought monthly or quarterly, that are stored in the fridge eg. Tomato sauce, mustard, etc. I greatly appreciate anyone who takes the time to help me out, cheers, matthew.[/FONT]

mayo
soy sauce
kitchen bouquet ( browning sauce)
tabasco
lemon juice
pickles
relish
bbq sauce
parmesan cheese
chocolate syrup
worcestershire sauce
mustard
ketchup
salsa
horseradish sauce

it varies.. I make my list out, usually from the store ad, THEN I make up a menu.. then I shop for what I need on that menu..
But always have to get
milk
bread
eggs
potatos
lettuce
fruits
celery
carrots
then I always have on hand at home
cheese ( I usually buy a big loaf of cheese, then grate it and freeze it)
always have frozen hamburger.. and frozen chicken breasts
always have some sort of fish.. like cod, trout or halibut
some sort of pasta - spaghetti
or tacos.. so need taco sauce and tomato sauce and either flour or corn shells
tons of different spices.. have on hand all the time
canola oil
sugar, flour, powdered sugar, brown sugar
oatmeal
canned soups
I could go on and on LOL

The Fridge (merged)

[FONT=&quot]More questions about the fridge I’m afraid, this time I am interested in any of your observations, criticisms, thoughts about the design of your fridge, any good points about its design, bad points, possible improvements or ideas. Once again I thank you for taking the time to help me out, cheers, matthew.[/FONT]

I will certainly look at many before I make my next purchase. I have a 22 ft side by side and it doesn't have enough room. My shelves don't roll out like the newer ones to access what is back. The main problem it is too deep to see what is in back so I forget a lot of things til they aren't good. But then, I keep to much in it also. The freezer doesn't have enough room either and the icemaker takes up too much room.

im a design student at university and im trying to design a fridge for the future, about 2020, so im really trying to figure out the problems with existing refrigerators in order to design a better solution.

May I ask what you need this information for? We are 5 in this family (and the toddler eats just as much as the older kids...LOL) so I do my shopping once a week (usually Fridays) so I don't have to go again during the week. This is pretty much my list every week:

2 gallons of milk
2 boxes of dry cereal
1 pound Tilapia fish fillets
1 pound shrimp
1 pound Salmon fish fillets
1.5 lb sirloin steak
8 chicken breast
2-1.5 lbs of super lean ground beef (for Italian and Mexican dishes)
1-1.5 lbs ground pork or pork loin (for Chinese dumplings)
4-2 liter diet sodas (Fresca and Diet Pepsi)
2-gallon size Arizona green tea
2 loaves of bread (Sara Lee white wheat)
half pound smoked turkey
half pound smoked ham
2 pounds cheese blocks (Mozzarella and Colby/Jack)
1 cream cheese packet
1 tub sour cream
2 pouches of tuna
2.5 dozen eggs

We eat tons of fruit:
1 cantalope
1 honeydew melon
6 of each: peaches, plums, plums, mixed apples(Gala, Granny Smith and Golden Delicious)
12 oranges
2 pounds grapes
8 to 10 bananas
occasionally one fresh pineapple or watermelon
6 tomatoes
2 avocados

Veggies:
leaf lettuce
Romaine lettuce
2 bell peppers
2 onions
brocolli
1 pound green beans
1 bag carrot sticks
3-4 fresh corn

2-low fat Pringles chips
packet of Trail Mix fruit and grain bars
1 bag semi sweet chocolate chips (for cookies or as dip for fruit)
frozen strawberries
Vanilla yogurt tub
6 varied flavor yogurt cups
1/2 gallon ice cream (husband's favorite flavor)
Apple juice
2 Passion fruit frozen juice

Jumbo pack diapers
3 to 4 baby juice bottles

Every 2 to 3 weeks I get:
5 lbs. bag rice
5 lbs. bag potatoes
1 lb butter
chocolate syrup or powder
fresh garlic cloves
fresh ginger root
ground spices
5 lbs. sugar
5 lbs. flour
:ROFLMAO: list goes on and on sometimes...

okay, gotcha!! I was just curious.

Well, I think better magnetics on the door to keep them shut would be good.
If you saw the thread about the light in the freezer for over and under refrigerators, putting lights in those would help.
Making some shorter for the elderly that have Osteoperosis would be good too. They must be kept the same as far as depth and width though, not like the dorm room ones.
Make the door shelving sturdier. They are mainly made out of flimsy plastic that will break easily.
Make the easy serve water and ice opening on the freezer door bigger to accomodate larger cups.

If I think of anything else, I will add it.

What are you up to Matthew? Bad points of my fridge??? It needs cleaning!!! Honestly, I've never been told anything for or against my fridge. It serves it's purpose for us, thankfully.

thank you so much for all your input, im asking these questions because im a student and im designing a fridge for 2020, understanding whats inside a fridge is just one part of my research, cheers, mathew.

LOL! Yeah I did my share of Psychology research projects in college myself and when I saw your question I recognized it immediately ha ha. The data mining process never really changes no matter what your studying. :LOL:

That's why I was trying to be as accurate as possible about the amounts we purchase as well as the frequency. :)

Good luck with your project.

~ Raven ~

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom