The Idiom challenge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:LOL: LOL - "you can lead a horse to water, but, you CAN'T make him drink!"

I can't read that one without thinking of a Dorothy Parker story. Someone challenged her to use the word horticulture in a sentence. She came up with, "You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think."

I can't read that one without thinking of a Dorothy Parker story. Someone challenged her to use the word horticulture in a sentence. She came up with, "You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think."
BEST! POST! EVER!! :ROFLMAO: *still giggling to myself...my first reaction was :wacko:?huh?...then...OMG!!!:ohmy: LOL hilarious!!!*
"Hats off to you" ma'am! You "win by a landslide." :)

Last edited:
I've wanted to play the game, but I've been "sitting on the fence". I decided why not
" give it a go" and "lay all my cards on the table"! After all "there is no time like the present". As they say "Carpe' Diem" .

Sent from my iPhone using Cooking

Let's "cut to the chase."

Until I read some of these, I didn't know or understand their intended meaning. Yes, it's all very clear to me now. My head is swollen with all of these and I'm beginning to realize there are many more American idioms than I realized. Time to have a brownie and a glass of milk.

midnight, just i was clicking on the tread. i actually thought "to the victor go the spoils" not that is just scary. how about "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" i don't think it really qualifies as an idiom , but couldn't resist.

I couldn't come up with one for a life of me.

In all the truth. I totally know what you mean. I live with an American, and she is even english major so I have a lot of help and still. I make the darndest mistakes even after 21 years. My gosh. I've been in USA for 21 years, unbelevable.

midnight, just i was clicking on the tread. i actually thought "to the victor go the spoils" not that is just scary. how about "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" i don't think it really qualifies as an idiom , but couldn't resist.
:ROFLMAO::LOL: yes, babe, to "cut to the chase", I DO believe that your quote was "spot on", while mine "fell flat", &, I "missed my mark". Guess what I am saying is that I "was close, but, no cigar!" HAHAHA!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom