The insects we hate!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I'm a lover of almost all life. I don't kill spiders (unless they are on me and I'm suprised. Usually I try to brush them off. I see the value of, and actually respect stinging insects such as wasps, hornets, and bees (though I see little use for fire-ants). But there is a class of creature that I dispise and tend to kill on site, with great energy. That insects are those that suck blood.

Any blood-sucking critter drives me nuts and gives me the heebe-jeebies. Mosquitoes are just thick this year, and though the males are important pollinators, the females drive me to distraction. Fortunately, in my neck of the woods, they don't carry any nasty microbes. They just bit and make you itch. There are a few I hate even more than mosquitoes. These are the deer-flies, yellow-flies (very similar to a deer fly), black flies, no-see-ums, gnats, ticks, and horse-flies. Ticks and horse-flies freak me out the most, ticks because they may carry lime-disease, and horse flies because they take such a viscious bite. I understand that in the arid lands, horse flies can actually kill horses due to the large numbers. No wonder wild horses run so much.

Many are the times when as a youth, I'd be playing with freinds in the water, and a horse fly would come to pester me. I'd splash at it, swat at it, dive under water to get away from it, and when I'd come up, there it was, waiting, ready to take a chunk out of my back shoulder, or my calf, or wherever it could land on me unoticed. And deer flies were the main pest while walking the trout streams. The mosquitoes are so thick back in the woods that tehy can drive people from the forest, litteraly.

So, all in all, I hate biting bugs, and have a couple of recent mosquito bites to remind me.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Yea, I think you just did a great job of listing all the ones I hate as well! Just came back from a camping trip and despite:
picking a site in an open area (a few trees for shade but away from the forest), lighting Citronella and Cutter repellent candles, and using bug spray, I still came home with about a dozen bites!!!!
Persistent buggers....

If they are in my house, anything with more than 4 legs with a snout and waggy tail, they die. Outside, if they bite or sting, they die.
I leave them alone, and expect the same
THE END!

You know what... I'm not a fan of some bugs, but then there are some that I find truly amazing. Like preying/praying mantises.

About the ones that we find as pests... I have recently wondered if there is a way to naturally elliminate unwanted pests as opposed to using pesticides. Just a thought in my head... seems all the pesticides we use to kill unwanted creatures will somehow come back and haunt us. I'm sure it already is!

You know what... I'm not a fan of some bugs, but then there are some that I find truly amazing. Like preying/praying mantises.

About the ones that we find as pests... I have recently wondered if there is a way to naturally elliminate unwanted pests as opposed to using pesticides. Just a thought in my head... seems all the pesticides we use to kill unwanted creatures will somehow come back and haunt us. I'm sure it already is!

That's why I love hornets, wasps, spiders and such. They are predators and eat pesky insects, including may of those I listed. In fact, various species of wasps are used by organic gardeners, along with ladybugs, and other beneficial insects for just such purposes.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I hate flies, ticks, gnats, and skeeters....
They all "bug" me (haha) as soon as I walk out my door these days.
Just once I'd love to not have the kids running inside begging for bug spray with giant welts on thier backs from the mean 'ol bugs eating them, yummy as they may be.

;) I hate any bug that bites or is poisonous we get some mosquito's but where we live right here on the ranch we have no fleas,ticks,roaches etc we do get the rare black widow and I make sure they die on the spot we get a few spiders in the house and some come out at night and bite me all over and suck blood (yes spiders do suck blood as well) however I know where they tend to hide and I make sure they die. Other spiders I can live with because they eat all the mosquitoes and other unwanted bugs. I adore the huge garden spider by my porch light. Oh and any wasp or bee in the house will be anialated as I may be quite allergic I have two Epi Pens but have no desire to find out if I really need to use one.

Yup. I take it back. There is one, just one, I'd put up with. LADYBUG.
I don't want all of them dead, just the one's living by me. Anti-social, I am. Besides, what would the beneficials eat?

Ticks. Nasty disgusting worthless creatures.
Roaches also worthless.
Otherwise, bugs are cool. I like bugs.
I especially like bugs that don't bother me.
My favorite bugs are hive creatures. Fascinating!

North and South Georgia are seperated but what's known here as the gnat line. Nobody has to tell you when you've crossed it. You'll know. If you get out of your car south of the gnat line on a hot summer day, they will attack your eyes, ears, nose and mouth with a vengence. They'll have you heading for cover in a hurry!

North and South Georgia are seperated but what's known here as the gnat line. Nobody has to tell you when you've crossed it. You'll know. If you get out of your car south of the gnat line on a hot summer day, they will attack your eyes, ears, nose and mouth with a vengence. They'll have you heading for cover in a hurry!

You're not kidding about those gnats. Went to Perry GA last July and couldn't even sit outside! :ROFLMAO:

There are two I despise. One is termites. They live very well outside, feasting on soft wood, dead branches, etc. All they need to survive is a little water. Every spring they swarm and every spring I watch them to make sure they are not enticed by my house. I watch for tunnels. I have the house inspected annually, They are destructive.

The other is fire ants. First they bite, then they sting, injecting some sort of venom. We don't get bitten by one or two, but by 10-20. It makes me angry that these little critters cause so much discomfort.

With all the birds I get around here, one would think they keep the bugs away by eating them. Perhaps I should take down my bird feeders. :)

bugs and such like belong outside. If they come to visit me inside, they will not live long, sorry. Other than that I'm pretty tolerant.

Back
Top Bottom