The interesting part of Catering....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllenOK

Executive Chef
Here's one you professionals out there will probably recognize as "one of those" type events.

Saturday, my job had a Wedding Reception. Booked a year in advance, 150 people, arrival time 2 pm, hor d'ourves served on arrival, buffet opens when the bridal party gets there. Pretty standard, huh?

The waitstaff knew they had their hands full when some of the guests, and bridal party, started arriving with a bottle of booze in their hands. The bridal party arrived, and all seemed to be going well. The waitstaff, in clearing tables, started finding little "Pocket Shots" of booze on the tables, empty. Clearly, these folks are intent on getting sauced, if they're bringing their own liquor, in addition to what was booked for the event.

Then, two of the groomsmen decided to go jump into the club's pool (the room they booked overlooks the pool). Some of the other folks, obviously sauced, wanted to join in, but waitstaff and management blocked the access to the pool. That's when management told the DJ to close it up. This was around 7 or 8 pm. The bride, obviously intoxicated, started complaining that they had booked the room until midnight. The manager had to point out the clause in the contract about when the club will deem it necessary to close the bar and/or ask folks to leave.

I was lucky, and didn't have to work that party, as they've moved me back onto the line.

The waitstaff deserves a few shots for themselves after that fiasco. Who do people have to do that? They'll complain, get their money back, it will go on forever. :rolleyes: I hope management sticks to their guns.

Allen, it sounds like the waitstaff deserves combat pay. Sorry they had to deal with that. What boors! I'm sure the newly-married couple will be proud of the reception when they reminisce 20 years from now. That is...if they're still together.

Back
Top Bottom