The Jobless Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Callisto in NC

Washing Up
Okay, the economy sucks and there are tons of layoffs/company closings and what not. This thread is for those of us without jobs to support one another, ask for prayers/energy for help, and just vent a little. Yes, I know there's a venting thread, but being unemployed is a whole different ball game. It's also for the little things, what made you smile despite your situation? What keeps you from strangling the cat out of frustration of not having a job despite being willing to work for pennies just to have some sort of income. Let's band together. We, the unemployed, could use the collective support of those in the same position.

For me, I lost my job when I exchanged personal emails with a friend about the illegal activity at my job. They don't pay taxes the right way, they send the father to take state license tests under the son's social security number, they pay their salaried employees as 1099 to avoid paying state and federal taxes, etc. One night my BlackBerry went nuts and I rushed to my email to find it had been hacked and I'm sure it's because they used my stored password (I know ~ idiot move) to get into my personal email from my work computer. I never talked about the activity at work, but I did from home. I had to use my personal email because of glitches with the work email and I stored my password. Holidays came around and they told me not to come to work but didn't tell me I wouldn't be paid. I fought, they fired. To add insult to injury, I had a company credit card. I used it for fuel as reimbursement for my mileage and documented everything. They tossed my expense report and called the police on me and now I'm facing a felony count of illegally obtaining property by false pretense. I so did not do that and it affirms to me these people are truly evil.

I have, in turn, turned them into the IRS, the state, all the states that issued licenses under false pretenses, and if I can find someone else, I'll turn them into them too. I worked for evil people, as much as I'm glad to be gone, I really wish I wasn't unemployed.

Hi Callisto. It sounds like you've been given a raw deal. I pray things will turn out OK for you. I hope there will justice for you, and your former employer will get what they deserve. It took courage for you to blow the whistle on them. Stand firm, you did the right thing.

I worked in a professional photo lab from 1986 to 1999. I quit that job to work at home as a Negative Retoucher. That went really well until the digital camera came on the scene. I haven't any had retouching work since Dec. of 2006. I am trying to get into the digital retouching field, but it's slow going. I did help build a house and do a roof job this past summer, so that was a blessing. Right now I'm recovering from rotator cuff surgery, so my "construction postition" is on hold for now. My husband just got full-time work as of Jan. 5 of this year. It is a night shift job (4pm to 5-5:30 am) He really did not want those hours, but he couldn't find anything else.

I'll keep you my thoughts and prayers.

I'm praying for anyone here who needs a job as well.

It has been over 3 years for my husband and a year and a half for me. We've lived on savings (mostly from sweepstakes winnings), but it is all gone now. Our savings should have lasted longer, but we didn't know that I was going to end up in the hospital (no insurance), and we thought we were coming home to a good job for James, so we went on vacation (the job fell through). When we won the money, we had made a commitment (not to an organization, but in our hearts) to help people who needed it, so some went for that. We also paid off a lot of bills and most of our house (we would have paid it all off, but the owner misplaced the deed and it was put off so long that we were about $10,000 short of paying it all). We bought a lot of things on our vacation to sell on ebay, but with the economy right now, I don't know how much it will bring. My depression kept me from getting started with that, but I have finally started listing things this week. With Kaylen's funeral, and some other commitments, I haven't had time to take many pictures and list much, but now that I am started, hopefully I will get it all listed soon.

:)Barbara

Last edited:
My thoughts and prayers go out to all in need. I've been seeing a lot around here where i live i noticed on the internet just yesterday that there are 85 houses right here in the town where i live that are going through forclosure and the food pantry that helps feed those in need is constantly in need of more food and cash donations. In all my life i've never seen the things that are going on at this time.

Those in need of work

I thought I would start this for those who have lost their jobs in the current economic climate or need work anyway.

DW is an IT contractor, working for our own company. However our main contract which she works on finishes on the 13th February. She is trying to get another contract, but there is not much around at the moment.

I pray she gets a really good contract soon miniman.

We are both out of work. I would really like to stay home and make jewelry, sew, sell stuff on ebay, and write, but for that to work out, James will need to get a good job. He has CADD training but jobs are scarce here now. I would actually love to do Internet research, in addition to what I have already mentioned.

I pray she gets a really good contract soon miniman.

We are both out of work. I would really like to stay home and make jewelry, sew, sell stuff on ebay, and write, but for that to work out, James will need to get a good job. He has CADD training but jobs are scarce here now. I would actually love to do Internet research, in addition to what I have already mentioned.

I am working for an optical lab in Tacoma, WA, but it's just the most stressful job I have ever had. Don't get me wrong, I am happy I am working, but some days I could climb the tallest building and just SCREAM!

You mentioned CAD. A friend of my BF's is giving me a copy of AutoCAD 2009 (hopefully), and I want to teach myself that. I live in the Seattle area, so that couldn't hurt to learn that and would look good on a resume. My background is in technology, but just not the optical end of it.

I'm sorry to hear of your situation. Good luck to the both of you.

Miniman Someone once said "It ain't over till it's over"....Keep the faith my friend -- Good things will come your way! You and your DW will live to see brighter days...
That is my wish...That is my prayer!

During this recession there are few types of work that are currently doing better. One is the canning food industry, another is 'repairs' because people are fixing what they have instead of tossing things out and replacing them. (Furniture, cars, clothing, appliances, home improvements) Any other areas where business is steady or improved due the economy?

Our company is looking for IT professional that has been through an upgrade from JD Edwards to Enterprise One with a preference to someone with project management experience. PM me if you have those qualifications.

I went through a jobless period after 9/11 in the IT field. I gave up hope to find something in that field, and I worked for temp agencies steadily for almost a year in 7 or 8 different fields until I found my niche, back in IT, just in a different capacity and a different sector than I was expecting.
If I was looking now, I'd focus on the growth areas, health care, roads and bridges, education, green energy. Good luck to everyone looking for work. I feel for you.

I want to go to culinary school and would be willing to start anew as a server at a restaurant but with no experience it's hard to get hired as even that. My real dream would be to be a bartender like in LA but since the person I worked for is my SIL, it's hard to get a reference now that she's in Colorado.

My prayers for relief for all of you!! I have been unemployed several times and been at the bottom of our bank account. I will pray you all find something you love!!

CNC, keep everything you had from that job and take it with you to court.

Being (gratefully) retired, I am now in a safe zone, and we have been away from the US for almost three years, but we do stay in touch with friends and family and keep up with the news. I am SO sorry for what you are all going through. As a sidebar, we have so many friends who intended to retire on their 401(k)s or the equity in their homes...that is mostly all gone now. They just have to keep on working, and they are lucky to have jobs at all. What a mess. I hope and pray that it will get better.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom