The MAN thread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
wow maidrite, that's impressive.

pacanis, that is a Mossberg 640 KB 22 mag WMR Chuckster..I've used this rifle for over 30 years, was dh's from his childhood, looks like it has hollow point rimfires in the cartridge. Donno, dh loads it for me, I just shoot them. I used to have an old 9 shot revolver that I loved, would have to ask dh the make, but it started to misfire so he traded it to a gunshop for other revolvers. This is one sport that I seem to be a natural for, but arthritis in my hands does not make it enjoyable anymore. I target practice about once a year though. We have a really nice place set up for target practice just down from the house.

Oh Lordy, what did I start?

Pacanis, I know what you mean by "living out where there are no shooting restrictions". We're outside city limits. I haven't seen anything that needed to be taken care of, but we have had coyotes come up to our neighbor's yard (he had chickens at the time). I've been told that at the small lake about 10 miles away, there are a LOT of feral hogs running around (open season on them!). Apparently there are some mountain lions eating the hogs, as they've been spotted. One of our neighbors told us that someone else's dog was killed by what was thought to be a black bear. While I doubt that, there is ample habitat here for them, as just to the north of the road we live on is a large expanse of trees, and a lake on the other side of that area.

Is that shotgun of yours semi-auto? There have been a series of break-ins in the vacant house next to ours. I do think that's over with for now, as the property owner is now living there, remodelling it for sale.

I've got coyotes, too, but have only seen one of them once. I doubt I would shoot them though.... I read where if you kill the ones you already have, you'll get two families that take over their territory. My shooting is basically woodchucks, raccoons, opossums.... I shot a raccoon two years ago I know would have tested positive for rabies if the state was accepting them at the time. He was one squirrely raccoon for sure.

Yes, it's a semi-auto shotgun. Patterned off of the AK-47, so it can take a lot of abuse. There are more mods available for the 12 ga, but I thought having a .410 would be neat. Little recoil, not as loud, but I didn't know at the time the ammo was more expensive.

My husband has a gun cabinet, too.......believe me it's locked and the bullets are kept in his closet on a top shelf...........most of them belonged to his father and grandfather......we also have a deer head trophy in his closet.......no way were we hanging that in the house where it could be seen........just the thought makes me gag.........I know........I'm not Diana the Huntress.........sorry........

How about these?

20081002ribeyejf8.jpg

Those steaks are 24 oz Ribeyes. I had to prep a menu item, and that's how it starts. Of course, I ended up cutting them in half, cutting a pocket, stuffing them, then wrapping in bacon. The end product looks more like a Filet Mignon.

Also, there's the knife in the photo. That's a 15" hollow-ground slicer. Plus 4" for the handle. If it were a little thicker at the spine, it could double as a short-sword.

Georgeous steaks, but I'm a purist. Seems like such a shame to stuff them and wrap with bacon.

My wheel barrow. As you can see, it doubles as my snow shovel. Plus I have a walk behind Toro and also one one of those electric jobs, but really I just like moving stuff around with my loader. Those heavy equipment hightway workers have it made :punk:

Attachments

• winter'07tractor.JPG
    winter'07tractor.JPG
    142.1 KB · Views: 212
My goodness, Allen, those ribeyes are to die for.......and I want your knife, too......the doctor here probably doesn't want you to send it to me.......the clinic has stitched me up twice........she actually had the nerve to tell me to get rid of my Santuko....is she nuts?????

I'm with pacanis on this one. Take those georgeous pieces of beef, salt and pepper (or maybe a little Montreal Steak Seasoning), and cook on the grill to desired doneness.

Although what I do with those at work is very popular, as well. But then, I stuff those with a killer mushroom d'uxelles.

That knife is RAZOR sharp. I keep it that way. I've tagged myself numerous times with it. Luckily none of them required stitches.

Constance, nice Buck! Is that an 8- or 9-point? To me, it looks like the forward tine on the left antler has a double point. How much did it weigh dressed? I don't hunt, but I do like venison, especially smoked. Yummy!

Actually, you're right, Allen...it was a 9 point. Field-dressed, he weighed about 180 lbs...deer eat well around here.
I like venison, too, but I prefer a young doe for flavor.

I brought up the thread to post my new "rake" ;)
Between the neighbor's poplar tree, the uncooperating wind that usually blows all the leaves out back, and that white wet stuff we had, I needed to do something with the leaves on the one side of my house because I don't think I'll get any more mows in this year :(.
A call to TSC, thirty bucks off because it's end of season :), an hour to put together and an hour on the ATV :) and walla! You can see the leaves I had looking at the other side of the split rail fence that I didn't get to. These things really work. And I had fun! Of course if I had a SO in the house... I mean, it was real work :rolleyes:

Attachments

• new rake.jpg
    new rake.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 184
Ooooo gimme!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
that was supposed to be in caps.

With your leaves... you gotta get you one of these, Suzi, but you do have to empty it a lot. And those wet leaves were HEAVY. The rope showing is merely for show. There was no way that was going to tilt the leaf bag to dump. Next time I'll rig it up to the winch :LOL:

Oh believe me one is on "the list"!!! (long list)
Our neighbor has one ( I assume that's a yard vac) that's got a big bag on it so it holds a bunch... but we'd still be empying alot.
The first year we were here we attempted loading them up in a home made trailer with tall sides and dumping them all out back.
Yeah right.
We blow them under the trees around the property line now. In front at least. Much faster.
:)

Oh believe me one is on "the list"!!! (long list)
Our neighbor has one ( I assume that's a yard vac) that's got a big bag on it so it holds a bunch... but we'd still be empying alot.
The first year we were here we attempted loading them up in a home made trailer with tall sides and dumping them all out back.
Yeah right.
We blow them under the trees around the property line now. In front at least. Much faster.
:)

No, tow behind vaccums were too much, unless you want a chipper too, this is a sweeper. It picks up all kinds of stuff, grass, pine needles, small branches... hopefully pine cones, too. And I'll sure try it out on those black walnuts when I get another season of them.

I wouldn't mind having one of those. I need an ATV or a riding lawn mower first. I've got a lot of leaves down. We've got several trees on and around the property. The only tree with leaves left on it right now is the sycamore. They just won't drop! I'll probably have to start blowing them here soon. I figure I'll blow most of them over to the burn pit and burn them, but some will get used for compost, as I plan to transfer my sage, lavender, and rosemary out of containers and into the ground this Spring.

Back
Top Bottom