The Sick Room

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Caslon, I had rashes that sent me to a dermatologist about 10 years ago. It seems every rash on a different body part needed a different ointment, or a blend of two. Drove me crazier than I am. :wacko: Then a new-to-that-practice hot shot dermatologist suggested I use Dove wash when I shower because it is gentle. I never scratched so much in my life! After hunting around online, in health stores, and in consult with my PA at the dermatologist's office, I discovered that anything with oatmeal, olive oil, and/or lavender helps eczema rashes. I first used Kiss My Face Olive and Lavender soap with great results. When the health food store I was buying it at shut down for a while, I had a hard time finding it and had to order online. Then I found out that Yardley English Lavender soap worked just as well...at less than half the price. The good news for your brother is if he would use either of these soaps, he wouldn't smell "girly". Neither of them leave any scent on the skin.

I hope he finds relief from the itching. It sure is a pain in the (insert affected body part here).

I have psoriasis and an oatmeal bath is a very common treatment. I have never done it myself.

For years I have subscribed to the newsletter of the Psoriasis Research Foundation. It has a section that other patients with this hideous disease will tell about what they have found to work for them. Cider vinegar has been quoted so often over the years. I haven't tried that either. I had a small patch on one of my elbows and considered trying it. But I never did.

The weeks of chemo and radiation have caught up to Shrek. He is very ill, I try to keep him up on the anti-emetics, but he continues to have nausea. The Jello water is working and broth. His skin is still good, no breakdown from the radiation. I am exhausted. My combo Sunday work night and Monday chemo is kicking my butt. I end up with 29 hour days. Looking at one of those tonight. His electrolytes are all messed up and he has to get those adjusted by IV which add more time to our infusion center visits. If his levels are good, I can hope to be home by 2 pm instead of 6.

Aw PF, you need lots of ((((hugs)))). Maybe someone to cook for you, or to drive Shrek to chemo while you take care of yourself. Or a good, long, 2-day sleep. I'd be there if we lived closer. Maybe if we got ourselves back to OH, and you headed east to Des Moines...we could get Dawg to do the work since she'd be the closest! :LOL:

Got you guys in my thoughts and prayers.

The weeks of chemo and radiation have caught up to Shrek. He is very ill, I try to keep him up on the anti-emetics, but he continues to have nausea. The Jello water is working and broth. His skin is still good, no breakdown from the radiation. I am exhausted. My combo Sunday work night and Monday chemo is kicking my butt. I end up with 29 hour days. Looking at one of those tonight. His electrolytes are all messed up and he has to get those adjusted by IV which add more time to our infusion center visits. If his levels are good, I can hope to be home by 2 pm instead of 6.

Princess, when my mother was diagnosed with cancer in her tonsils, the doctor sent her to MIT for her radiation treatment. It was the only place in all of New England that had the machine. My sister and I each had four kids at the time and took turns weekly to go with my mother to MIT. My mother lived on the second floor and towards the end, getting her down and back up when she returned, was too difficult for either one of us. So we had to have an ambulance take her.

But we still took our turns taking her. And like you and Shrek, it was all done with love. When my SIL and then my daughter had their bout with this hideous bodily invasion, the hospital was kind enough to place a reclining chair for their spouse to be at their side and yet still sleep. My daughter would fall asleep holding her husbands hand and never let go until they were ready to go home and they would wake her up. They worked around her.

The love between you and Shrek will bring you both through this trying times. You know you have all our prayers as well as all your workers at your job and your family. Hang in there Princess. All of us as well as you know you are a strong woman. The two of you will make it through all of these trying times. And it will bring the both of you even closer. Through you we have grown to love Shrek. And you know how much we all love you.

Aw PF, you need lots of ((((hugs)))). Maybe someone to cook for you, or to drive Shrek to chemo while you take care of yourself. Or a good, long, 2-day sleep. I'd be there if we lived closer. Maybe if we got ourselves back to OH, and you headed east to Des Moines...we could get Dawg to do the work since she'd be the closest! :LOL:

Got you guys in my thoughts and prayers.

Thanks, CG!!
I have to drive to Des Moines??? Scottsbluff is so much closer :rolleyes:

I'd let Dawg drive me anywhere.

I am about to ask for help from the Senior Center with house cleaning, it's getting neglected.

Addie, I don't think anything could make me love Shrek more than I do now. He can't get real sick, I still don't know how to work the DVD player.

Addie, I don't think anything could make me love Shrek more than I do now. He can't get real sick, I still don't know how to work the DVD player.

I hear ya Princess. The expression "I feel your pain and joy" is never truer than when a loved one is going through cancer treatment. And you will be able to feel the joy when this is all over.

I am glad to hear you are reaching out to the Senior Center for help. None of us are super human. Even though we would like to think otherwise. Once again, I am learning that hard lesson with my leg. Reaching out is a good thing. And it will help give Shrek some peace of mind knowing that you are not trying to be superwoman. You are just being his Princess. And that is what he needs the most right now.

Don't fret about the DVD. I have had mine for almost ten years and still can't get it to work for me. So if he is ever able to get you to understand yours, please send him here to teach me.

Sorry to hear Shrek is so ill. Hope the IV's will help get him adjusted and stable. You and him are both in our thoughts and prayers.

Hang in there Princess. You are doing a great job for both Shrek and yourself. It goes without saying, both of you are in our daily prayers. We all love you. :wub::wub:

PF, sorry to hear Shrek's treatments are being so hard on him and, as a result, hard on you. We will continue to keep positive thoughts for you both.

We are halfway through, chemo medication change yesterday to help alleviate some symptoms. Tough night, we are headed to radiation.

Dad continues on the finish work in the bathroom. Ceiling is in, paint will be soon. Mom and Dad have been a Godsend helping with the radiation trips to "the city". I told Shrek he could stop as soon as he glows in the dark, should save on the electric bill.

{{PF}} The stress level of dealing with a seriously ill husband is beyond the imagination of many. I'm concerned for your heart condition and I'm keeping both of you in my thoughts and prayers. :flowers:

Last edited:
Princess, I'm glad to see you've still got your sense of humor during these trying times. :wub: Thank goodness for your mom and dad, too - they make a wonderful support system. Sending up thoughts and prayers to you all.

Thanks Everyone!

I had my annual check up last Wednesday...nothing happening there. Just need more sleep! Ha!!!

Well I got my date for the abdominal vascular exam. I will have to fast the night before. It is that exam that will determine if I go to the Cath Lab for treatment or to surgery to have the bottom half of my leg amputated. The results will be posted to My Chart and I will send it to Poo to translate for me.

My vascular doctor seems to feel that the major problem may be with the main arteries that lead to my leg. That they can do something about. Everything over the years has been done on my legs.

My Chart is where all the notes of my doctor and findings of any tests are posted to. Even if it is bad news. I often get the results of the tests before even the doctor does. I have access to it on my home computer.

Back
Top Bottom