The Sick Room

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's a written in stone rule around here that when we return home from somewhere, the very first thing we do is wash our hands with hot soapy water. We were talking the other day about we can't remember the last time we were sick. Germs have less chance getting in our home if we don't bring them home from the public.

Last edited:
Well, I'm in invalid mode. I don't know what I did to my back, but it hurts like the dickens. I woke up that way on Tuesday. I haven't been downstairs since and Stirling is taking care of me. It seems to be slowly easing up.

Since retiring, DH and I have only been sick a handful of times, no more "sick buildings" to go into, thank goodness!
DH had his old timers flu shot a coupla weeks ago and the only ill-effect he had was a sore arm for a bit.
Doctor's M.A. (seems we don't have nurses so much here in the middle of the desert :shock:) explained that once we reach medi-care age the stronger dosage is administered, basically a double-wallop is how she put it... I get mine on Monday-not looking forward to it... I haven't had one in, oh, 10 years now, but doc is insisting that I get it! SO! Gotta make sure I have enough ready-made food for DH and soap for me, `cuz y'know I'll wind up getting laid out for 3-4 days... :doh:

Oh, and CG, great idea for a thread!
... don't wanna be sneezing on someone else's dinner :LOL:

Oh no, taxy! Maybe you slept the wrong way? However you got your achy back, I hope it goes away soon.

If we weren't getting older, we wouldn't be here. . .
I suppose that's true, since I haven't noticed a member with the name "Benjamin Button". ;)

Meanwhile, in my little universe, this is my thought:
bfc61220838d13de66569569979f0e7a--rd-birthday-the-senior.jpg

I approve this topic being started. I may add to it...and thanks to CG for starting it.

The Petty Vents thread, among others, were getting overloaded with health issue vents.

Last edited:
Tomorrow I have to go to Winthrop. And I am almost certain they will call for the ambulance to take me to the hospital. I now have three ulcers on my leg and one of them is right on my skin graft. So it looks like I will lose my leg this time around. Since this started, I have been gearing myself up to accepting the obvious. The last time I fought the doctors and they managed to find a plastic surgeon to save my leg. So I have had it for ten years that I shouldn't have. And for that I am very grateful. With all this pain, losing a leg sounds great as long as they take this incessant, hideous pain with it. I know about shadow pain and all that goes with an amputation. But it can't be any worse than what I am experiencing this minute.

So far I have taken four gabapentin and three Vicodin to get the pain tolerable. How long the pills will control the pain, I have no idea. But I will find out I am sure. Right now I am going to try and get some sleep. I have been up for more than 38 hours. Between the pain and lack of sleep, I rather have the sleep.

Do hangovers count? My brother was visiting and after dinner we went to a local charity event to see a few guys who were playing in the band. It was a Merle Haggard tribute. I ran into a ton of people I hadn't seen in a long time and there were multiple rounds ordered and consumed..I felt pretty old this morning..on the couch until 2 pm

Tomorrow I have to go to Winthrop. And I am almost certain they will call for the ambulance to take me to the hospital. I now have three ulcers on my leg and one of them is right on my skin graft. So it looks like I will lose my leg this time around. Since this started, I have been gearing myself up to accepting the obvious. The last time I fought the doctors and they managed to find a plastic surgeon to save my leg. So I have had it for ten years that I shouldn't have. And for that I am very grateful. With all this pain, losing a leg sounds great as long as they take this incessant, hideous pain with it. I know about shadow pain and all that goes with an amputation. But it can't be any worse than what I am experiencing this minute.

So far I have taken four gabapentin and three Vicodin to get the pain tolerable. How long the pills will control the pain, I have no idea. But I will find out I am sure. Right now I am going to try and get some sleep. I have been up for more than 38 hours. Between the pain and lack of sleep, I rather have the sleep.

Your spirit endures, right? It gets heavy pondering flesh and spirit and is a real wake up call. Addie says...tell me about it.
In all good natured-ness, I hope we don't lose a piece of you.

Last edited:
Addie, I'm sorry this is happening to you. Please let us know how you're doing.

Are you taking generic Vicodin? Because I know that doesn't help very much - the real thing is much more powerful, although sometimes even that doesn't help.

Your spirit endures, right? It gets heavy pondering flesh and spirit and is a real wake up call. Addie says...tell me about it.
In all good natured-ness, I hope we don't lose a piece of you.

Thank you Caslon. Whenever I have a problem, I am not one to get upset. I get mad and then I look for the best solution. I had a fantastic plastic surgeon that saved my leg the last time. My main problem with my legs is circulation. Very little blood reaches them. I already have two stents in both legs and that is all they could put in at that time. I don't know about this mess I am in. I will know everything by the end of the week.

Thank you for your good thoughts. You have cheered me up a bit.

Addie, I'm sorry this is happening to you. Please let us know how you're doing.

Are you taking generic Vicodin? Because I know that doesn't help very much - the real thing is much more powerful, although sometimes even that doesn't help.

No, they have me on the real stuff. I have been on it for about ten years now. I take it mostly for my hips and base of my spine. I have a hard time walking more than 25 feet. Then I have to sit down until the pain subsides. I am supposed to take two, three times a day. I get a months supply. Most months I have about six to eight doses left. It all depends on how much walking I do outside.

I know I should put this in MIA, but I just want to lay down right now. If you don't hear from me for more than three days, I am still in the hospital. Thank you for the well wishes.

I'm surprised they haven't given you something stronger then. I had an infected nerve in my gum that was so bad I ended up in the ER once. All they gave me was a hit of Demerol and that was great, for about half an hour. It wore off by the time I got home. Good while it lasted though....I remember waving and yelling hi to everyone. Even the people in other cars on the freeway.

Take care, Addie. I'm sure you'll let us know when you know, right? Just go easy on the doctors and nurses. ;)

Do hangovers count? My brother was visiting and after dinner we went to a local charity event to see a few guys who were playing in the band. It was a Merle Haggard tribute. I ran into a ton of people I hadn't seen in a long time and there were multiple rounds ordered and consumed..I felt pretty old this morning..on the couch until 2 pm
Under normal circumstances, I would say you got what you deserved. :angel: However, since it was for charity, I have to say I think you are an admirable man. Too bad the Hangover God didn't see it the same way. I feel bad for you, Roch, but not as bad as the time I had to hug a pillow from Atlanta Georgia to the Tennessee border... :sick:

Thank you all for your well wishes.

Yeah, a hangover counts. If it has left you with a pain in your head, that definitely counts. But the bright side is that you know the pain in your head will go away. Unlike a pain in the a**. That is harder to get rid of.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom