The Sick Room

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm someone who would like to know if this helps, taxy. I do notice I ache more some days if I've eaten certain foods the day or two before, or if I'm on a food binge - like a lot of bread-type things. When "The Chew" was still on TV, Michael Symon did some version (or maybe THE version) of "The Whole30 Diet", which has you avoid a whole bunch of foods thought to trigger reactions in people. After 30 days you add foods back in slowly and see if you react to anything once it's returned to your diet. It just seems simpler to me to eat what you like and complain afterwards. :D FWIW, he's mentioned coming out with a book about it, and a whole bunch of recipes for tasty foods that eliminate trigger foods sometime next year. I'll wait until the library gets a copy.

I'm someone who would like to know if this helps, taxy. I do notice I ache more some days if I've eaten certain foods the day or two before, or if I'm on a food binge - like a lot of bread-type things. When "The Chew" was still on TV, Michael Symon did some version (or maybe THE version) of "The Whole30 Diet", which has you avoid a whole bunch of foods thought to trigger reactions in people. After 30 days you add foods back in slowly and see if you react to anything once it's returned to your diet. It just seems simpler to me to eat what you like and complain afterwards. :D FWIW, he's mentioned coming out with a book about it, and a whole bunch of recipes for tasty foods that eliminate trigger foods sometime next year. I'll wait until the library gets a copy.
If it was just complaining, I would agree. This is bad enough that when we went to a SciFi convention for the weekend, I was using a wheel chair. The first improvement is that I can walk down the stairs a bit more like normal. I don't have to take a step, then put the other foot on the same stair and repeat that all the way down the stairs. Today's improvement is that I can walk around a little bit without my cane, without pain.

For those of you suffering with chronic pain:

I found this article about a new painkiller. It hasn’t been approved by the FDA yet, but trials on animals have been promising. It’s non-narcotic, non-addictive, and it targets very specific neurons. It’s an injection, given under anesthetic, that gives relief for long periods of time.

For those of you suffering with chronic pain:

I found this article about a new painkiller. It hasn’t been approved by the FDA yet, but trials on animals have been promising. It’s non-narcotic, non-addictive, and it targets very specific neurons. It’s an injection, given under anesthetic, that gives relief for long periods of time.
Cool article. I'm not quite ready for something that potent. I heard about it in a SciShow video two days ago. I didn't realize they had gotten so far in the testing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBb436aT4j0&feature=youtu.be

I haven't been around here for a while, just an occasional fly-by. It seems I have really missed a lot! So many people are going through some serious medical issues. It makes me realize that mine are minor-to-annoying by comparison and I have no call to be complaining.

Addie, I'm sorry for all you have been through, but it sounds like you are adjusting to life as an amputee. I hope you continue to improve for years to come! I really can't imagine anyone actually ASKING to see your stump! There are a lot of things I have never seen, but I don't ask people to show me their!!!! I would give them a shocked look and say "Go get your own!!"

Me? I had a heart attack in April. I have had heart disease since 2000, and open heart surgery in 2008, but never had a heart attack...until now. Our ambulance crew is so good, by the time I arrived at the hospital I felt fine. I could have walked in if they would have let me. But they treated me in the ER, admitted me to an already overcrowded hospital for 5 days, did lots of tests. I got another stent, and was told that my aortic valve is kaput and needs to be replaced. Haven't done it yet, because I feel fine, so far. Other than that I have pain that travels all over in different places. Other than some that I know is OA, I haven't had an official diagnosis because I won't do the tests that the DR recommends. It's off and on, and it's minor compared to what I've been reading here. WOW! I don't want cortisone shots because of what it does to my blood sugar, and I don't want another surgery. I'm handling it ok so far. From what I've been reading here, others are getting diagnosis and treatments that aren't working.

I hope all find help for their problems and start to feel better soon!

Carol, thank you for your comments. Each day I am trying to learn to do something on my own without any help. It is driving Pirate crazy. He has to just stand by and keep his mouth shut and let me figure it out. But I don't hesitate to ask him if I need help.

I was thinking of you and your husband the other day. The last time or so, he was battling the rash that was so painful for him. Heart attacks can be so scary. So far I have had three. But only one was serious. And I was already in the hospital when that one happened. I have learned (finally!) to go slow. At my age, I can't run in any marathons.

This past week, I have finally gotten rid of the nurses showing up every other day just to change a band aid. No more medical cart in the way. I think I had more medical supplies here is my home, than any hospital. So Pirate has been rearranging the apartment so I can get around the apartment easier. I would be so lost without him here.

Just keep plugging away Carol. It took me 11 years before I could get it through the heads of my medical team, that age does not make you stupid. I know how to change a band aid. Just don't let pig headiness get in the way of stupidity. Your aorta problem sounds very serious. My biggest problem has always been circulation.

Go slow, the housework will be there tomorrow. Check your medical plan to see if you entitled to have a homemaker come in a couple of times a week. In this building every Wednesday homemakers take over. Residents aren't allowed to use the laundry facilities. The homemakers take it over.

Today my challengers are to make a Yankee Pot Roast for dinner, learn a new way to get in and out of the shower, make a pumpkin cheesecake for my daughter, and peel a big bag of apples so Pirate can make an apple pie for my daughter to take to her hosts home for Thanksgiving dinner. Sounds like a lot, but I have finally learned to say "No" if I can't do it.

It is good to see you back. Try to stay healthy. We all missed you. Welcome back.:w00t2::w00t::clap::angel:

It's been a bit more than two weeks since I eliminated nightshades from my diet. I was wondering if it was time to start reintroducing them one at a time. Well, I'm really glad I didn't. I seem to be having a flare. I need the cane even for walking two metres. I have to be very careful how I step or it hurts. If I had started reintroducing a food, I would have thought that it was a culprit. I did wonder if the improvement was coincidental with a flare being over. I guess I'm going to have to do this several times to get a good understanding of what does and doesn't affect the inflammation.

It's been a bit more than two weeks since I eliminated nightshades from my diet. I was wondering if it was time to start reintroducing them one at a time. Well, I'm really glad I didn't. I seem to be having a flare. I need the cane even for walking two metres. I have to be very careful how I step or it hurts. If I had started reintroducing a food, I would have thought that it was a culprit. I did wonder if the improvement was coincidental with a flare being over. I guess I'm going to have to do this several times to get a good understanding of what does and doesn't affect the inflammation.

There are two other possibilities. One of the meds you may be on for some other ailment, or another food that you ate just prior to the flare up. Start a daily diary. Log in every bite of food, time eaten, time of reaction (if any)how long reaction lasted. I know it will be a pain in the butt, but after a while, it will become your (b)ible. Also speak to your PCP. See if he can refer you to a rheumatologist that would have some answers.

I hear you Taxy. I've been lucky in that I'm usually able to pinpoint what's causing the flares. It is also usually because I over-indulge in some of my favourites. Shrimp, asparagus, spinach are the worst culprits for me. Luckily the nightshades (tomatoes in particular) also cause belly aches if I over-indulge. When consequences happen within 10 to 20 minutes it is not so hard to control.

Unfortunately, although we know the cause of the nephropathy (and no, I'm not diabetic) it is a long road back. I may never completely heal as the damage may be too much so it is just a matter of time.

In the meanwhile, I'm thankful I don't need the canes to walk anymore. As long as I have good soles on shoes and slippers, the pains are bearable and I'm even starting to go for walks with the dog again. She's a happy dog!

That's feet taken care of - now working on Lumbar and shoulders... :rolleyes:

Thinking of you girl... hang in there!

Nephropathy is a broad medical term used to denote disease or damage of the kidney, which can eventually result in kidney failure.

I believe Dragn meant Neuropathy disease or dysfunction of one or more peripheral nerves, typically causing numbness or weakness.

Taxlady, have you tried taking Turmeric with Pepperine? Last year I started having very bad foot pain making it very difficult to walk. I started taking Turmeric and in about 2 months the pain cleared up. It was gone for several months and I stopped taking the Turmeric. Then in March of this year it started up again but in the other foot. Back on the Turmeric, and in several months, the pain is gone once again. I can't swear to the fact that the Turmeric made the difference or the flare was just over, but I don't intend to stop the Turmeric again. It is said to fight inflammation. I have never been able to pinpoint any food that is causing the pain.

I do not normally take supplements, but I read a lot about this one and decided to try it. I'm so glad I did.

Nephropathy is a broad medical term used to denote disease or damage of the kidney, which can eventually result in kidney failure.

I believe Dragn meant Neuropathy disease or dysfunction of one or more peripheral nerves, typically causing numbness or weakness.

Absolutely correct Princess - thank you I never even noticed the switch in names.

Taxlady, have you tried taking Turmeric with Pepperine? Last year I started having very bad foot pain making it very difficult to walk. I started taking Turmeric and in about 2 months the pain cleared up. It was gone for several months and I stopped taking the Turmeric. Then in March of this year it started up again but in the other foot. Back on the Turmeric, and in several months, the pain is gone once again. I can't swear to the fact that the Turmeric made the difference or the flare was just over, but I don't intend to stop the Turmeric again. It is said to fight inflammation. I have never been able to pinpoint any food that is causing the pain.

I do not normally take supplements, but I read a lot about this one and decided to try it. I'm so glad I did.
It is already on my list of things to try. I just have to wait until I figure out this nightshade thing. If I start trying different things at once, I will have no clear idea of what is doing what. I'm glad you mentioned that it took two months for it to work. Did it start working before that and keep improving? Is the foot pain arthritis? If so, which kind of arthritis?

Thank you PF. I saw that, but even though I have the knowledge, I lack that certificate giving me permission to will allow me to correct others.

You don't need to be an RN to correct errors people make in medical terminology. Also, an RN has a license, not a certificate.

When she graduated, she received a certificate from the nursing school. She doesn't get her license from her nursing school.

I don't like to give medical advice to or correct someone else. That is what PCPs are for.

When she graduated, she received a certificate from the nursing school. She doesn't get her license from her nursing school.

I don't like to give medical advice to or correct someone else. That is what PCPs are for.
Some RNs get bachelor's degrees. But it's not the education that allows health care providers to legally provide medical care and advice to specific patients; they have to pass a licensing exam. My point, though, is that it's not necessary to be a licensed health care provider to share information or correct terminology.

It's pretty funny, though, to see you say you don't like to give medical advice or correct people given how many times I've seen you do both over the years :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom