"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-08-2016, 04:37 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 25,002
The sky has a new star.

RIP, John Glenn.
__________________

__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 04:41 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 23,945
“I don’t know what you could say about a day in which you have seen four beautiful sunsets."

and

“If there is one thing I’ve learned in my years on this planet, it’s that the happiest and most fulfilled people I’ve known are those who devoted themselves to something bigger and more profound than merely their own self-interest."

~ John Glenn
__________________

__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 05:16 PM   #3
Master Chef
 
bethzaring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Northern New Mexico
Posts: 5,157
Awwwww, my home town hero. I felt like I knew the man, we were raised in the same small Ohio town of Cambridge, although he spent much of his life in the next town over, New Concord. Our two towns had quite the rivalry! We had to have parades in both towns when he returned from orbiting the earth. He truly was a great man and husband. I'm guessing he is survived by his wife, Annie.
__________________
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
bethzaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 05:35 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 23,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
. He truly was a great man and husband. I'm guessing he is survived by his wife, Annie.
That's what I've heard, yes - that Annie is still alive.
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 05:37 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 11,412
Semper fidelis Rest In Peace John.

__________________
There is freedom within, there is freedom without
Try to catch the deluge in a paper cup
There's a battle ahead, many battles are lost
msmofet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 06:07 PM   #6
Head Chef
 
Zagut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Friendship,MD.
Posts: 1,298
And that will be a bright star Dawgluver.

He inspired many in his journey on this Earth that he had a very unique perspective of.

Not many would volunteer to sit in a Starkist can perched on top of a giant Roman Candle and be tossed out of our atmosphere.
And then wonder if you'd be a crispy critter before you splashed down in a very large ocean hoping that they got it right where you were.

That to me say's he had big ones.

Godspeed Mr. Glenn.

Others can only wish to have walked in your shoes but you caused many dream's for many people all over this tiny speck of the universe.
Zagut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 06:40 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Cheryl J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California
Posts: 10,046
Rest in peace, Mr. Glenn. You were truly a brave pioneer in our great unknown, and will be missed.
__________________
Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty.
Cheryl J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 06:42 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Cheryl J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California
Posts: 10,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagut View Post
And that will be a bright star Dawgluver.

He inspired many in his journey on this Earth that he had a very unique perspective of.

Not many would volunteer to sit in a Starkist can perched on top of a giant Roman Candle and be tossed out of our atmosphere.
And then wonder if you'd be a crispy critter before you splashed down in a very large ocean hoping that they got it right where you were.

That to me say's he had big ones.

Godspeed Mr. Glenn.

Others can only wish to have walked in your shoes but you caused many dream's for many people all over this tiny speck of the universe.
+1. Well said, Zagut.
__________________
Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty.
Cheryl J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 07:10 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 14,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
“I don’t know what you could say about a day in which you have seen four beautiful sunsets."

and

“If there is one thing I’ve learned in my years on this planet, it’s that the happiest and most fulfilled people I’ve known are those who devoted themselves to something bigger and more profound than merely their own self-interest."

~ John Glenn
Those quotes are so profound.

He is the best example of an American Superstar, and may his light always burn bright. RIP John Glen.
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 11:15 AM   #10
Executive Chef
 
bakechef's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,127
I absolutely love the title of this post.
__________________
I'm Bloggin'

https://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 01:39 AM   #11
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 38,212
John Glenn, I'll keep you in my dreams, my heart and search for you among the stars.
__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 02:44 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 13,397
95 years young. Not all of the good die young.

He was a remarkable man, did so many important things in his long life, and lived it well.

Godspeed, John Glenn.
__________________

__________________
“You shouldn’t wait to be senile before you become eccentric.”— Helene Truter

"Remember, all that matters in the end is getting the meal on the table." ~ Julia Child
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
×