The South has Creeped over the Mason Dixon Line!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spryte

Senior Cook
I ordered my lunch at the drivethru of Arby's. When I asked for iced tea, they asked if I wanted Sweet or UnSweet!!!

Sweet tea... YUCK!!!!

Hmmmm…..even the British take tea with their sugar. One lump or two? A great Indian Tea called Chai is served with milk and sugar. So, it’s not just us good ole boys down here doing it! :LOL:

Doesn't "sweet tea" just mean iced tea with sweetener? I thought everyone drank iced tea with sugar or sweetener.

Lee

Hey Miss Lee

I really think it depends on ones perspective. To me "iced tea" is un-sweetened, because that it how I drink it. To some else, it is sweetened, because that is how they drink it. To me the term "iced tea" just differentiates it from "hot tea" Obviously I could be wrong, but I doubt it!!!:LOL:

Cheers & Enjoy!!

:) From Texas to the south restaurants offer sweet or unsweet tea I like unsweet the sweet tea is just too sweet for me.I guess it depends where you live but out here its unsweet always they have sugar available if you want sweet.

From where I am from (MA), iced tea can be either sweetened or unsweetened. Iced coffee can be either sweetened or unsweetened.

When I order iced tea at a restaurant they usually ask "sweetened or unsweetened?"

In California (San Diego County) if we asked for iced tea we got unsweetened tea, then if we wanted it sweet we added sugar or artificial sweetener. As much as I love iced tea I didn't order it in restaurants because you can never stir the sugar in it right when there is ice in it. In South Carolina you can get sweet or unsweet. Some add sweetener to their unsweet tea, but others (like James) drink it with nothing added. James says the sweet tea here is basically syrup. I like it. :cool: However, because of kidney stones I rarely drink tea anymore. :(

:) Barbara

QSis said:
Doesn't "sweet tea" just mean iced tea with sweetener? I thought everyone drank iced tea with sugar or sweetener.

Lee

nope. not me. not if i can get it unsweetened.

i mean, i'll drink sweet, if that all there is, but...

i had some iced tea in a chinese restaurant tonight that was absolutely delicious unsweetened. you could taste that it was made from their regular (chinese black) teabags that was brewed hot, then chilled.

i was at the beach today with my family, and someone commented that the only thing missing was the thermos of "tea". we'd remembered it from our childhood trips to visit relatives on rockaway beach. all of the irish there drank tons of tea, mixed equally with tons of milk, and tons of sugar. blech!

btw, if you ever go inside someone's house, and there a young girl who offers you some sweet tea, then disappears to do some laundry, say hi to chris for me. :cool:

Well, down here in the South, there is Iced Tea.

And there is Swite TAY. Not just sweetened tea, this
is simple sugar solution with some tea bags thrown in
for color.

National drink of the South. **** good too, if done right!

;) ;) ;)

(I like sweet n low myself, but then I was born in Illinois, LOL)

buckytom said:
nope. not me. not if i can get it unsweetened.

i mean, i'll drink sweet, if that all there is, but...
I am right there with ya bucky. Unsweetened for me. I find it so much more refreshing than sweetened plus it is nice to be able to taste the flavor of the tea.

I also like unsweetened iced tea. I rarely order it in restaurants anymore because I usually end up with colored water. Very weak . I brew my own tea and chill it at home. Love it with a wedge of lemon.

Since many places make their iced tea too sweet, I usually order half and half. That makes it about right (half sweet, half not).

Some restaurants around here offer sweet tea, and my husband loves it. He won't drink my tea at home, because it isn't sweet.
I don't like sweet tea...it doesn't taste like tea, IMO.

licia said:
Since many places make their iced tea too sweet, I usually order half and half. That makes it about right (half sweet, half not).

Which half do you drink first?:ROFLMAO: Sorry, just couldn't help myself.

Most restaurants here will give you unsweetened tea. You can add whatever you want from the little packets or jars that are at the table.

I don't really care if a person wants his or her iced tea sweet or not, but the "sweet tea" phenomenon at fast food restaurants means high fructose corn syrup. Now corn syrups are really good for making candy and some pies (pecan for example). But putting it in every drink and every processed food just about, and you begin to understand the nutritional issues America is facing.

The "real recipe" (rissipee) is strong brewed tea mixed with simple syrup...1 cup sugar cooked with 1 cup water till disolved, until you reach your desired level of sweetness. lemon or mint optional

I prefer my tea sweetened, with a wedge of lemon.

Off-topic, when I saw the title of this thread, I thought that the kudzu has started invading the north.

spryte said:
I ordered my lunch at the drivethru of Arby's. When I asked for iced tea, they asked if I wanted Sweet or UnSweet!!!

Sweet tea... YUCK!!!!

I believe sweet tea denotes a preference, not a region. :)

Oh, forgot to say I grew up in Cleveland Ohio - so it must be a preference (ok, ok, ok, my mother was from Kentucky :-p :LOL:

It used to be that no where anywhere north of the Mason-Dixon offered sweet tea - that is certainly changing. Now, if they would also start offering red-eye gravy and cat head biscuits life would be good! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom