The Thankfulness Club

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I recently went for my annual check-up for "the Girls". Got the letter back from the radiology department with an "all good" report. :w00t: The report also said that the composition was mostly "fatty tissue". :huh: Don't need to have a 3D xray to know that - you just need to look at my hips and hiney! :LOL:

BTW, you guys out there should also get chest check-ups for possible tumors. My best friend back home's BIL died from breast cancer when he was only in his 40s. A friend of mine who is a survivor has a male friend who is going through chemo, etc for cancer. This one doesn't affect just the Girls.

It's a good time to revive this thread I think.

This horrible pandemic has really done a head trip on many of us, and my younger son and his family (Bradey,Carrie,Cheyenne) moved to Reno, 500 miles away, at the start of it all.. I know how lucky I've always been to have my immediate family just a short distance from me, but I'm a classic mother bear and the thought of them being so far away at a time like this really hit me hard. They had been planning the move long before the pandemic, and I kept hoping it wouldn't happen, but it did.

Now for the reason for this "thankful" post..
This morning SC and I visited with them by way of Zoom! I can't even describe how thrilled I was to see and talk with them and see with my own eyes that they were safe and happy. Six year old Cheyenne was blowing me kisses, and showing me her new hiking backpack, and Bradey and Carrie were telling us about a hike to a waterfall later in the day. We will make this an every Sunday morning visit so I'm soooooooo thankful today.
:heart::wub::heart:
By the way, this is the first day I've had makeup and earrings on.:LOL:

Last edited:
It's a good time to revive this thread I think.

This horrible pandemic has really done a head trip on many of us, and my younger son and his family (Bradey,Carrie,Cheyenne) moved to Reno, 500 miles away, at the start of it all.. I know how lucky I've always been to have my immediate family just a short distance from me, but I'm a classic mother bear and the thought of them being so far away at a time like this really hit me hard. They had been planning the move long before the pandemic, and I kept hoping it wouldn't happen, but it did.

Now for the reason for this "thankful" post..
This morning SC and I visited with them by way of Zoom! I can't even describe how thrilled I was to see and talk with them and see with my own eyes that they were safe and happy. Six year old Cheyenne was blowing me kisses, and showing me her new hiking backpack, and Bradey and Carrie were telling us about a hike to a waterfall later in the day. We will make this an every Sunday morning visit so I'm soooooooo thankful today.
[emoji813]:wub:[emoji813]
Isn't that fun!? [emoji16] My book club met via Zoom last week and we had a really good time. The hostess suggested we make it a pajama party, so we all wore pajamas and robes, and had our own snacks and drinks. I really enjoyed it.

I'm glad to see your mind is at ease about your family, Kayelle [emoji813]

...my younger son and his family (Bradey,Carrie,Cheyenne) moved to Reno, 500 miles away, at the start of it all.....This morning SC and I visited with them by way of Zoom! I can't even describe how thrilled I was to see and talk with them and see with my own eyes that they were safe and happy. Six year old Cheyenne was blowing me kisses...
This is wonderful, Kayelle! I'm so glad that you've found a way to still visit with your kids while they are far away. Technology might drive us all bonkers at times, but it's great for keeping people close when far. We do what we have to do to try and find normalcy during these most abnormal times...

...By the way, this is the first day I've had makeup and earrings on.:LOL:
:LOL: My eyes probably figure I'll never wear contact lenses again. The two times I've shopped have been cloudy, so I just went out with glasses...and make-up. ;) (And clothes and shoes, of course.)

This is wonderful, Kayelle! I'm so glad that you've found a way to still visit with your kids while they are far away. Technology might drive us all bonkers at times, but it's great for keeping people close when far. We do what we have to do to try and find normalcy during these most abnormal times...

:LOL: My eyes probably figure I'll never wear contact lenses again. The two times I've shopped have been cloudy, so I just went out with glasses...and make-up. ;) (And clothes and shoes, of course.)

That reminds me. A friend's doctor recommended that she switch to her glasses for the time being. Glasses won't protect you a whole lot from contagion, but they will protect some.

After watching the morning news about the shocking unemployment numbers in the USA, I thought about more to be personally thankful for.

We have 9 close family members in our family who were all previously employed. Eight of them are still working today, and don't expect to be laid off in the future. That's sooooooo much to be thankful for.

Kayelle, I think that this virus has a lot of us counting our blessings. We've been fortunate that we've never known what it is to live paycheck-to-paycheck, always lucky enough for Himself to have a good job with a long, stable time of employment - 39 years! And we've always be frugal - some might call us cheap. Cheap has served us well during good times and bad.

So far all of us in our extended family have managed to stay healthy, as it seems we who are regulars here at DC have, too. After all, we're all family, right? :winkiss: Let's hope and pray it stays that way.

I have to chime in here with Thankfulness too. I live in the country side where there have been no cases at all and my life and those around me has hardly changed. The two towns I shop are all virus free and have taken strong measures to keep it that way.

... wrote a huge novella about my family but deleted. However the synopsis: they all live in large population areas and I worry about them. Several are susceptible. I'm extremely thankful that they are still fine but...

Kayelle, I think that this virus has a lot of us counting our blessings. We've been fortunate that we've never known what it is to live paycheck-to-paycheck, always lucky enough for Himself to have a good job with a long, stable time of employment - 39 years! And we've always be frugal - some might call us cheap. Cheap has served us well during good times and bad.

So far all of us in our extended family have managed to stay healthy, as it seems we who are regulars here at DC have, too. After all, we're all family, right? :winkiss: Let's hope and pray it stays that way.
What a great post CG and the bold is true for us also, although SC chose to not retire until he was 70. The way he put it..stick a fork in me, I'm done.;) The following day we were on a plane headed for South America. He spent his long career in many capacities as an Electrical Engineer, working not only all over the world, but for many years in Los Angeles.

I have to chime in here with Thankfulness too. I live in the country side where there have been no cases at all and my life and those around me has hardly changed. The two towns I shop are all virus free and have taken strong measures to keep it that way.

... wrote a huge novella about my family but deleted. However the synopsis: they all live in large population areas and I worry about them. Several are susceptible. I'm extremely thankful that they are still fine but...
Ventura county, just north of Los Angeles county, has had a much lower number of cases than one would expect and I'm thankful for that. Naturally we are less populated than down south, but there is a different "mind set" of people up here, than in Los Angeles county. The different mind set is likely because there's more open space and home town feel. Souschef mentions often how great it is to be living up here in my original neck of the woods.

I for one, would have loved to read your family novella. :)

I gotta crow (Peter Pan reference)

Himself and I recently had doctor check-ins. Mine was a semi-annual visit with my PCP. She said it would be time for my annual blood draw in August. Now I'm not a big fan of getting a needle stuck in a vein, so I asked if I could have them done at the same time I need to go for my every-nine-month trip to the nephrologist. She warned me that my A1C reading has been favorable and steady for years, so the insurance company might not pay if I don't wait the full year. OK, I'm cheap. Guess I'll go twice. Better yet was Himself's report. His endocrinologist told him that he's too tightly wound...when it came to managing his sugar. Seems like he's been doing so well (thanks to the effort being put forth by his *ahem* personal chef :cool: ) that he was told to reduce his insulin intake by half! His A1C is hanging around 5.4. Wow!

Himself and I recently had doctor check-ins. Mine was a semi-annual visit with my PCP. She said it would be time for my annual blood draw in August. Now I'm not a big fan of getting a needle stuck in a vein, so I asked if I could have them done at the same time I need to go for my every-nine-month trip to the nephrologist. She warned me that my A1C reading has been favorable and steady for years, so the insurance company might not pay if I don't wait the full year. OK, I'm cheap. Guess I'll go twice. Better yet was Himself's report. His endocrinologist told him that he's too tightly wound...when it came to managing his sugar. Seems like he's been doing so well (thanks to the effort being put forth by his *ahem* personal chef :cool: ) that he was told to reduce his insulin intake by half! His A1C is hanging around 5.4. Wow!

Excellent! and Darned Insurance:mad::mad:

CG, that's good news and annoying news.

I am so grateful that we got our air conditioner running just in time for a heat wave. Phew.

Some of you have been around long enough to maybe remember that back in June of 2013 (I had to look that up), Himself and I invited an online friend that I had made through a sports forum for Cleveland Indians fans. After a number of years of back-and-forths and PMs through that forum, Kevin was graduating college and decided that he was going to spend the summer hiking the Appalachian Trail (AT) from Springer Mountain in GA to Mount Katahdin in ME. The AT traverses western MA about 85 miles from us - or about an hour's drive if I keep up with the locals. ;) We offered, and Kevin accepted, lodging, a hot shower (or three), laundry facilities, and home cooked foods. Well, needless to say, we cemented our friendship.

Fast forward to current times. After putting in five years in some sort of financial field and banking all his money, Kevin decided a couple of years ago to quit work and hike while he was young. I've followed along through Facebook, and sometimes took the time to read his blog (OK, I go there mostly for the fantastic photos he takes while he's on the trail). His most recent Facebook post started out something like "First, I want to say that I'm OK". :ermm: :ohmy: Well, let's just say that he was attacked by a grizzly bear and lives to tell the tale. I'm not even his Mom and I worry about the guy! Anyway, I am very thankful that he is going to be fine. Had his wits about him to make sure he ended up that way. And his blog post has a nice little tie-in to being prepared and the current situation with Covid-19.

If you want to read his account of the bear attack (no bloody pictures and a not very graphic description), you can find it here: lbhikes.com

If nothing else, you can head over there on a slow day just to look at pretty pictures.

I know I complain about Himself not being much help around here, but last night he came through. After a long week of setting up and running the garage sale mostly by myself (he did haul a lot of the heavy stuff - and didn't complain much about his aching back), I was completely exhausted last night. Last thing I remembered was that it was the middle of the second quarter in the Michigan-Nebraska team. I then fell asleep sitting up in my chair, mostly empty cup of tea in my hand. When I finally woke during the third quarter, the cup was gone from my hand. When I headed into the kitchen, all of the dirty dishes that don't go into the dishwasher had been washed and stacked in the dish basket drying away. :heart: Himself claims that the Dish Fairy did the job. :LOL: I think we all know better ;)

I know I complain about Himself not being much help around here, but last night he came through. After a long week of setting up and running the garage sale mostly by myself (he did haul a lot of the heavy stuff - and didn't complain much about his aching back), I was completely exhausted last night. Last thing I remembered was that it was the middle of the second quarter in the Michigan-Nebraska team. I then fell asleep sitting up in my chair, mostly empty cup of tea in my hand. When I finally woke during the third quarter, the cup was gone from my hand. When I headed into the kitchen, all of the dirty dishes that don't go into the dishwasher had been washed and stacked in the dish basket drying away. :heart: Himself claims that the Dish Fairy did the job. :LOL: I think we all know better ;)

Were you sleep-cleaning again?

Back
Top Bottom